License to Beat

Share your music, collaborate, and partake in monthly music contests.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Well sorry for the stupid name.

http://vimcortez.free.fr/tracks/Licensetobeat.mp3

I guess this falls in the "hip hop instrumental" category - I certainly would like to hear some rappin' on top.

Hope you like it peeps.

d

tagged for later.... :)

:wink:

Good to hear a nice groovy hip hop instrumental that's not using the typical plucked strings and piano riffs. Smooth and a bit mysteriously sounding - nice job.

Cheers.
music // twolegs // geometriae
sounddesign // twolegstoneworks

Cheers, metal, glad you liked it.

Hi Vim,

quality stuff here. Diiig!

If I can offer some advice for some minor issues (IMHO of course)

- I felt sometimes that the lower freqs of the drum kit were fighting with the bass synth. Both have lot of energy down there. Maybe that's a good thing when this is played on a boombastic PA system but I'm not sure if it'll work on the average hifi, mp3 player etc.
- The clap playing on an odd beat is a smart choice but given the complexity of your full rhythm it's a bit distracting and makes the driving feel of the groove weaker. You could use some hipass filter to make it a bit thiner or just lower its level slightly. Some other similar (snare-like) sample straight on 2 and/or 4 could give back the "driving" feel I was missing.
- You did an amazing job making it sound vintage but I felt there was a bit too much global "warming" (:hihi:). I'd leave a bit more of the high freqs pass through
- It's obvious that you know how to make impressive sounds with your synths but I'd use a more restricted sound palette

All these are minor and subjective comments. Feel free to ignore them. You already did a stunning job both compositionally and technically :love:
If I go insane, please don't put your wires in my brain

Sounds great, Vim. Love the syncopating rhythm in this a lot. The kick is nicely sharp.
There some very attractive keyboard work and the bass line is well rounded.
Bout the only thing I would add is a small and completely off topic break somewhere towards the end, but that would be just for fluff (and you know I can be a musical fluffer) :hihi:
Talk with you soon,
J

Well done Vim, not really what I was expecting, but a pleasant surprise. It's got a nice catchy melody and the beat has some great complexity to it. I agree with zeoy on the clap, but otherwise... :tu:
Image Image

Thanks a lot for listening guys, and for your suggestions, I'm gonna go and try all of them. I kind of like the impression that the beat is "falling on itself" but I'll try something straighter to see how it goes. Perhaps I need more variety though, and certainly a bridge or somethign (although this will be easier to do if/when I have some lyrics on this)

I'm having some good fun doing these beats!

Will keep you guys posted on progress - if I make any!

d

excellent build. really cool to bring the mellotron flute part in; nice contrast feel with the street beat feel :tu:
(nice description of the beat: "falling on itself". very groovy)
and fwiw, I really dig the global warming that zeoy mentions, but I grew up listening to cassette mix tapes (special nostalgic feel to me :oops:)
really beautiful stuff!

I tried to hear a rap on it, but it seems a bit too fast for rap :shrug:
Anyway, great beat. I'd like to hear the snare on 4/4 every now and then and although the clap doesn't bother me a great deal, I agree with the previous comments.

Really like the flute+bass, not too sure about the choppy synth stuff though
Rekkerd.org the latest news on audio plugins, sample libraries & virtual instruments, synth presets & more.
Don't click here if you can't control yourself!

Return to “Music Cafe”