U of Iowa Orchestral Samples coming soon :D

Sampler and Sampling discussion (techniques, tips and tricks, etc.)
RELATED
PRODUCTS

RAWK!

I just contacted the professor at U of Iowa responsible for the samples on this page: http://theremin.music.uiowa.edu/MIS.html They all have 3 velocity layers, and many have both normal and vibrato modes. All the strings have arco and pizzicato.

Anyway, I mentioned to the prof that I've been painstakingly downloading all the files and chopping them up into individual notes, with no other processing, for use in HALion. He said he'd be delighted to host them, and redesign the site a bit to allow for much simpler zip file download of each instrument.

I've already got the flute, trumpet, viola, and violin done. It's only a matter of time, suckas!!

Great!!! When you say, "Chopping them up," are you meaning that you are looping them and making them into multisamples?

Will you do all of these in SFZ format too?

Thanks!!!!!!

--Sean

bioLogic wrote:Anyway, I mentioned to the prof that I've been painstakingly downloading all the files and chopping them up into individual notes, with no other processing, for use in HALion. He said he'd be delighted to host them, and redesign the site a bit to allow for much simpler zip file download of each instrument.
Tell him he's got a "Beat Nebraska" coming and a "Beat Michigan" on the way! :tu:
I've got nothing to sell...am I on the right site?

audiojunkie wrote:Great!!! When you say, "Chopping them up," are you meaning that you are looping them and making them into multisamples?

Thanks!!!!!!

--Sean
No, the samples are just really long audio files with all the notes in a row. So they need cut up so they can BECOME multisamples.

Great to hear you're doing this OP. Between this and the ERANS Sampling Project being reworked for my site for hosting, there will be a good set of free samples available!

Brent
My host is better than your host

Are you accepting donations?

I really appreciate you doing this... can't wait till they're up :D

koolkeys wrote:
audiojunkie wrote:Great!!! When you say, "Chopping them up," are you meaning that you are looping them and making them into multisamples?--Sean
No, the samples are just really long audio files with all the notes in a row. So they need cut up so they can BECOME multisamples.
Ah. Are there decently long sustains between notes, though? Or will they need to be looped.

koolkeys wrote:
audiojunkie wrote:Great!!! When you say, "Chopping them up," are you meaning that you are looping them and making them into multisamples?

Thanks!!!!!!

--Sean

Great to hear you're doing this OP. Between this and the ERANS Sampling Project being reworked for my site for hosting, there will be a good set of free samples available!

Brent
Cool! Thanks! What's the "ERANS Sampling Project"?

--Sean

EDIT: Here is the original link for the ERANS project:

http://www.kvraudio.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=159685

I believe there is more than what those links used to go to. There are at LEAST more than one articulation for many of them. About 5GB of samples in all I believe.

Brent
My host is better than your host

bioLogic wrote:RAWK!

I just contacted the professor at U of Iowa responsible for the samples on this page: http://theremin.music.uiowa.edu/MIS.html They all have 3 velocity layers, and many have both normal and vibrato modes. All the strings have arco and pizzicato.

Anyway, I mentioned to the prof that I've been painstakingly downloading all the files and chopping them up into individual notes, with no other processing, for use in HALion. He said he'd be delighted to host them, and redesign the site a bit to allow for much simpler zip file download of each instrument.

I've already got the flute, trumpet, viola, and violin done. It's only a matter of time, suckas!!
Hey biologic
I also had permission from the professor at U of Iowa responsible for the samples, to redistribute the sample in other formats, and have looked into doing this.
You had said this above:
Quote:
Chopping them up into individual notes, with no other processing, for use in HALion.
End Quote.

The problem that arose was that most of the samples need some sort of reworking/producing. The levels are very low on a few sets, and the tuning on a few sets really need work (a key issue in sample design and mapping, that does a lot of times, take place in post recording production). This has actually been discussed a few times here at KVR about these particular samples.

Thus I determined to do it properly would require a lot of work beyond just cutting and mapping. So some time is needed on a few of the sets.

That said, I still want to put a bit of our "ManyTone Knowledge" into making these better and Free in a few formats. (We've never had an out of tune sample in any of the products we make)

I'm willing to help get a few starting sets done properly if you may need that help.

There surely is some cool stuff there to dissect and it will benefit from some attention to detail. Believe me, I have had this in my mind for a long time as I think it worthy to get these released properly for free in "Various Formats", and produced as best they can be.

PM me if you perhaps would like me to go over some of your work, I would love to try and help get these as best they can be, and in as many formats as possible. As you may know, I have produced a few top sample libraries and have had this thought in my head about properly trying to produce some of the U of Iowa samples. I really hoped for someone who could help me do this, or that I could contribute to.
Paul

Woow, if paul's helping, then I'm really getting interested.
Maybe I can find a whole in my planning somewhere, to take a look at this.

Cool! Looking forward to these!

Bio: you are my hero! :hug: :D

Go to chop those samples now!! :x

:hihi:

I'll try to address all questions.. I'm on the way out the door, check back tomorrow. ;)

No, I will do no looping for these. That's for the future to decide!

Tuning is definitely a must, though I've mostly noticed it on the Viola/Violin/Cello ones. Not a surprise, as these instruments are the easiest to play out of tune, with no frets, keys, etc.

But I won't be doing tuning. For now the point is to get it so that each instrument is DLable as a zip file with individual notes. Once I get that far, we'll talk shop.

At least that'll be a nice step up from the current state! And some of the instruments (in my estimation) will already be mappable/playable with only this simple step completed.

If you want to contribute, I'll gladly take donations. :D PM me and I'll give you my PayPal account. Otherwise, I'm doing this for myself, and since it happens to benefit others, why not?

Updates as events warrant.

Return to “Samplers, Sampling & Sample Libraries”