Get an open source clipper plugin here...

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Effects Discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Hi,

another freebie here. Again only by accident I wrote this clipper plugin. I wanted to demonstrate the up/downsampling unit from my open source project.
The 'Advanced Clipper' is basically a hard clipping plugin with two stages. Additional oversampling reduces alias noise. The oversampling algorithm is based on butterworth filters (as can be found in rubberfilter) and thus will affect the group delay (you can notice a delay of some samples in extreme cases).

Some features:
- two stages of minimum phase, butterworth oversampler
- hard clip at higher sample rates
- oversampling of up to 16x (in both stages)
- filter order up to 64 (using the max. order will introduce noticable group delay)
- tunable transition frequency (in parameter view)
- several presets
- nice GUI ;-)

Have fun,

Christian

SX3 Crash :roll:

Tp3 wrote:SX3 Crash :roll:
Should be fixed now. I tested it with Cubase 4 and it does work.

Some thoughts about it ?

Christian Budde wrote:
Tp3 wrote:SX3 Crash :roll:
Should be fixed now. I tested it with Cubase 4 and it does work.
Thanks

Thanks Christian again and that is twice in as many days: your accident's are pretty good ones ;)

Take care and best regards

Dean

filter > limiting is a new concept for me.. it's to improve spectral fidelity i guess.

i never thought of it.. always figured distortion was a desirable aspect of dynamics.

sources archived! thank you again :)
you come and go, you come and go. amitabha neither a follower nor a leader be tagore "where roads are made i lose my way" where there is certainty, consideration is absent.

Works fine in Reaper. Haven't found a spot-on use for it, but I'll drop it in here and there and see.
The only site for experimental amp sim freeware & MIDI FX: http://runbeerrun.blogspot.com
https://m.youtube.com/channel/UCprNcvVH6aPTehLv8J5xokA -Youtube jams

RunBeerRun wrote:Haven't found a spot-on use for it, but I'll drop it in here and there and see.
It can be used during mastering to ensure the signal stays within the limits. If you only use hard clipping you can stay within the limits as well, but this introduces aliasing. Also you risk the so called intersample clippings. You can also use a limiter for this, but it has to be a look ahead limiter or a limiter that has a build in over sampler as well (to avoid the intersample thingies).

Btw. I uploaded a bug fix version, that will save presets correctly. Also I added an installer version.

Zip-File [629kB]
Installer [620kB]

Thanx Christian,

will check it out soon.

Shogger

Nice accident!

Could you give us an overview of how each control affects clipping and the two stage concept.

Thanks.

thanks!

im slightly confused by the 2 stage concept. the 2nd oversampling stage reduces aliasing further? i guess the clipping occours once and after the 2nd stage?

The two stages are necessary, because depending on the filter order, still some clipping can occur in the first stage.

The diagram is:

Input * InputGain > Upsampling Stage 1 (with the given filter order and the hidden transition bandwidth) > hard clip between +1/-1 > Downsampling Stage 1 (again with the given filter order and the hidden transition bandwidth) > Upsampling Stage 2 > hard clip between +1/-1 > Downsampling Stage 2 > Output Gain

If the oversampling factor is only 1 and the filter order 0, only a classic hardclip takes place (with all the aliasing).

I was also thinking about adding a second input gain, so that you can drive the second stage even more into clipping, but I discarded that idea. Anyway, the plugin is open source, so whoever likes to add more features is welcomed to do so.

Christian

Wow, it's nice to find that someone thinks in the same way as you. For some time I use Cyanide 2 as my master clipper, and I use it in two passes - I reverse file for the second time - to compensate for group delay. I find that this way it is much better than simply rasing gain and much closer to clipping of ADC.

Is there a chance that you make FIR linear phase oversampling stage?

>>> I reverse file for the second time

hehe...

Return to “Effects”