As good as everyone

Share your music, collaborate, and partake in monthly music contests.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

I've put a quick acoustic guitar song together. It was originally intended to be for the October Kvr contest, but I decided to go with Deedley squad for that one.

I decided to finish the acoustic song yesterday:

As good as everyone.

The above mix contains just a acoustic guitars (Yamaha APX) plus my new 12 string acoustic (Ovation Celebrity), with a drum and bass guitar track. The drums was put together from Band-in-a-box and DR-008 and the bass also from Band-in-a-box with Dimension Pro.

I tried an alternative mix with piano (Also BIAB and Dim Pro) and could not decide which one I like the most, so I just put up both of them!

I listened to both versions of this relaxed song and prefer the one with piano. To my ears the frequencies are spread out better over the spectrum and it sounds tighter.
Last edited by Timfonie on Sun Oct 12, 2008 9:02 pm, edited 2 times in total.
The more I hang around at KVR the less music I make.

Thanks Timfonie. The piano version is winning the race so far! Thanks for taking the time to give feedback. :D

For some reason the guitar seems a bit late on a few notes on the first version. I perfer the second mix as well. The guitar seems more on-tempo... maybe it wasn't off tempo to begin with on the first one, but the second one flows a lot better.

|J|E|D|I| wrote:For some reason the guitar seems a bit late on a few notes on the first version. I perfer the second mix as well. The guitar seems more on-tempo... maybe it wasn't off tempo to begin with on the first one, but the second one flows a lot better.
The guitar has not ben changed, but the piano seems to create the illusion of pulling the timing together. I think it is because the piano just emphasize the beat more strongly. That is why I also liked that mix, but on the other hand, don't you think that the mix gets a little bit crowded?

Sepheritoh wrote:
|J|E|D|I| wrote:For some reason the guitar seems a bit late on a few notes on the first version. I perfer the second mix as well. The guitar seems more on-tempo... maybe it wasn't off tempo to begin with on the first one, but the second one flows a lot better.
The guitar has not ben changed, but the piano seems to create the illusion of pulling the timing together. I think it is because the piano just emphasize the beat more strongly. That is why I also liked that mix, but on the other hand, don't you think that the mix gets a little bit crowded?
Nice one sephie :tu:

Try using some EQ to separate the freqs between the guitar and piano and adjust the pan a bit -- should be fine mate :)

Alex

only listened to the first one (thanks)

the guitar playing is very "supportive," eg. it seems to play around the melody more than the melody itself, so it has kind of a 'background' thing. however the guitar playing style is the performance.. it's the crux/soul of the song, the detail and the energy of the music. even though it's sparse, it almost feels like a song to listen closer to the supportive part.

imo ymmv :)
you come and go, you come and go. amitabha neither a follower nor a leader be tagore "where roads are made i lose my way" where there is certainty, consideration is absent.

Alex and xoxos thanks for commenting and listening.

Thanks Alan.

The general concensus seems to be that the piano mix works best. I want to work a bit on seperating the 12 string and the piano in the mix. They seem to fight for the same space currently.

Even though the solo may sounds a bit unfocused, I tried to keep it that way specifically. Too often my stuff is too melodic with "almost singable" melodies. Too often they get called cheesey. To be honest, I did not really have any specific melody in mind when doing this song. I just tried to solo around the chord progression.

Thanks for taking time to comment.

Return to “Music Cafe”