If you could have any Genesis sound...

Official support for: sonicreality.com and esoundz.com
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

If you missed the streaming video in all fairness I did say that being around the 13th and 14th you might get to see some live stuff from the sessions. I just didn't know when. We had a full interview with me and Nick Davis streaming so some people saw it but who... who knows? Probably some "Unsuspecting Punters" on that site. It's an obscure little site I found through a friend of mine who was in the band Matchbox 20. Adam Gaynor. We went to the same High School and he was in some ways an older brother influence especially because we look related and he was a musician performing at school (Jenny Jenny 8675309) and between that and seeing Tony Banks in a Turn it On Again video I decided I wanted to be a musician, keyboard player... Anyway, Adam used to have that flash chat room on his site. Fun Brady Bunch effect with the multiple cams.

Don't worry though we shot good video of just about everything. Hugh Padgham's drum sound and Nick Davis' drum sound at The Farm for two upcoming Studio ProFile titles and then we sampled Tony Banks' keyboards and Mike Rutherford's signature guitars, in particular the Shergold double neck and the two Ricky double necks from Selling England and The Lamb. They sound magical (and madrigal). So I can't wait to play them. We didn't sample every fret in the end though because that didn't sound good. Just so you know, Jim, we NEVER just sample "to spec" because it looks good. Some companies do, the ones who just want to pool the Lamb's wool over your eyes and impress you with numbers. I don't give a flying #$#) about that. I care about a usable musical sound in the end. It's a balance. I also like to get variety too so maybe that's more pick up options or up and down strokes, more velocities... it all depends on the instrument. However, it is discrete from string to string and fairly chromatic anyway with long durations... I am sure each guitar is at least 2 gigs in size when it is done so that should be good. I'm borrowing the Shaftsbury as well to do some Hackett tones later... plus I might try to replicate it (model it in HARDWARE so I can have one permanently if the parts aren't that rare).

I took TONS of gear pics and this time some major close ups of the picks ups which was requested by someone last time I was at The Farm and took gear shots. I tried to think of everything that was asked. You know, that's in the other thread anyway but... well, that's what this was all about. "The Farm Sessions" sample library or whatever it will be called will be available some time next year. It was some of the most fun (and hardest work) we've done in a sampling session before. But TOTALLY worth it! The drum sounds... I can't even begin to tell you how incredible they were. You really get to hear the art in this and the interviews are so interesting! Plus, if you wanted to know, both Hugh and Nick are incredibly humble considering their success and they have such a great passion for recording and they are very friendly and comfortable to work with. Plus, everyone had a great sense of humor during the sessions and that helps when you are working around the clock!

Next up... sessions with Alan Parsons, Floyd sounds... classic EMI Abbey Road consoles in a few days...a vocal sampling session with Lenny Zakatek and more! This week is a major week in sampling for us. Might go for the Police drum sound with Hugh later too if we can squeeze it in. We're non-stop. This is what happens when a bunch of Sonic Septics come to England. We go nuts!

Squids & Co.

All I can say is :-o :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :D

:hihi:

We're in the studio right now sampling pianos. We have this Decca tree and all sorts of crazy stuff... but this is going to take a LOOOOOOOOONG time. Worth it though! It sounds absolutely amazing. This will eventually be available for the Infinite Player. An 11 foot Imperial Grand with 97 keys and a unique technique we use for real harp resonance (not simulated). There's also a unique twist to it that no one has done before but... ohhhhhhh yeahhhhhhh. You're gonna like it. I'm proud to have thought of it on the train ride over. Makes a lot of sense but I will save that secret until release some time in 2009 hopefully.

I'm also going to track "Great Gig In the Sky" while we're sampling... as a tribute to the late Richard Wright. This is really cool. The mics we're using on this include C12's, U67's, KM56, M50, U47 and others too... plus some really interesting mic pres!!! Total audiophile type stuff going on here. 96k, chromatic, multiple velocities (at least 8) and long durations... yawn. Just takes a while but I can see the oasis. ;)

If you want to see a bunch of the instruments we sampled at The Farm, I uploaded some pics to our myspace Everything Genesis album. www.myspace.com/sonicreality But I am going to make a regular SR gallery as well at some point for photos and video (we're making sonicreality.tv actually for an on going behind the scenes video archive).

I also have apparently the only photo and video footage of Nick Davis mixing Genesis in 5.1 Check out this article: http://www.mixbuss.com/article.php?id=189

I got the box set while I was out there. Nick signed it for me which was nice. I can't wait to hear it. It's really amazing that you can now hear all of the Genesis catalog in 3D essentially.

Squids,

Great pictures from the farm. I hope you sampled both of Mike's doublenecks? The boxset is amazing. Can't wait to listen to your samples from The Farm (I picked up on that Phil's Lamb era kit wasn't sampled - too bad).

Thanks for all you do for us and it's amazing you get to make a living out of doing it.

Jim
The keeper of the Shrine.
http://lldom.blogspot.com
The Lamb Laid Down on MIDI

jkleban wrote:Squids,

Great pictures from the farm. I hope you sampled both of Mike's doublenecks? The boxset is amazing. Can't wait to listen to your samples from The Farm (I picked up on that Phil's Lamb era kit wasn't sampled - too bad).

Thanks for all you do for us and it's amazing you get to make a living out of doing it.

Jim
I'll still sample The Lamb kit. It doesn't need to be done at The Farm though because that's not where it was recorded.

We sampled all THREE of Mike's double necks... all through the night with his son Harry Rutherford who assisted on the whole session. He looks just like his dad did back then and I was tempted to ask him to pose with them but... since he's a drummer I didn't want to ask. Would have been a good shot. There's a shot of Harry and Ryan walking up the road though and also the leaves that fell overnight. It was really nice though but boy did we work long shifts to get all THAT done. Two Rickys and a Shergold.

Squids,

So, are you planning on doing PC LAMB kit in the same room that he used back in 1974? Is the room still available?

Did you get to sample Mike's bass PEDALS (per MOOG) while there? Those babies have a special sound.

Are you guys now back in the states?

Jim
The keeper of the Shrine.
http://lldom.blogspot.com
The Lamb Laid Down on MIDI

jkleban wrote:Squids,

So, are you planning on doing PC LAMB kit in the same room that he used back in 1974? Is the room still available?

Did you get to sample Mike's bass PEDALS (per MOOG) while there? Those babies have a special sound.

Are you guys now back in the states?

Jim
I WOULD, of course. Question is... what room was it? Also, Selling England. Whatever room that was could be cool as well. I know SOME Genesis stuff was done at Trident Studios in London which I visited with Ken Scott who hadn't been there in over 3 decades. Sadly it is NOTHING like it was when he recorded Bowie there for Ziggy (apparently Bowie stopped by at one point to check it out too and experienced a similar nostalgic sadness as to what it has become... some project studio with an Adat or something like that - lucky person who has it though!).

But Trident must have been used for an earlier record. Not sure which one. I'll have to look into it. It's probably in the freakin' liner notes! Nick just gave me the box set (he signed it to - what a great guy Nick is, I can't say enough about him) so I have to open it up and see if it is in there. You have it though right Jim? What does it say for studios on those Gabriel-era albums? We might hook up with Hentschel to recreate the Trick drums as well. None of this is a commercial necessity mind you. I think we've done enough to get the most sought after Collins drum sound with Padgham and Davis. But... for us Genegeeks who love the OLD OLD sounds... it is a labor of love. Enough people will buy it almost ALWAYS to justify the trouble. Even this thread was popular for example. So, those distinct Genesis sounds really are appealing to a certain audience.

If you like Genesis sounds, you might enjoy my video of my RMI 368.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HAiTUSDSoCA

Just posted pics with Hugh Padgham and SR at The Farm on our myspace page if you're interested.

Peter Gabriel wins Polar Music Prize!

http://www.polarmusicprize.com/newSite/index.shtml

"The Polar Music Prize was founded in 1989 by the late Stig "Stikkan" Anderson, a true legend in the history of popular music. Stig Anderson was the publisher, lyricist and manager of ABBA, and he played a key role in their enormous success. The name of the prize stems from Anderson's legendary record label, Polar Music.

Today, the Polar Music Prize has become one of the most prestigious music prizes in the world. The list of laureates speaks for itself:

Sir Paul McCartney, Dizzy Gillespie, Witold Lutoslawski, Nikolaus Harnoncourt, Quincy Jones, Mstislav Rostropovitch, Sir Elton John, Joni Mitchell, Pierre Boulez, Bruce Springsteen, Eric Ericson, Ray Charles, Ravi Shankar, Iannis Xenakis, Stevie Wonder, Bob Dylan, Isaac Stern, Burt Bacharach, Robert Moog, Karlheinz Stockhausen, Sofia Gubaidulina, Miriam Makeba, Keith Jarrett, B.B. King, György Ligeti, Gilberto Gil, Dietrich Fischer-Dieskau, Valery Gergiev, Led Zeppelin, Sonny Rollins, Steve Reich, Renée Fleming and Pink Floyd have all been bestowed with the Prize since its inception in 1992. In 1992, the Baltic States were also awarded the Prize to encourage them in their work for protection of copyright."

/Anders

He also deserves best dressed man for 1974 with his Slipperman outfit. :hihi:

Squids wrote:He also deserves best dressed man for 1974 with his Slipperman outfit. :hihi:

and sexiest baldy in 1978 :love:

and the less sexy baldy in 2003 ff:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ww9JS8dJ9fY :-o
"It dreamed itself along"

Hi!

Sorry to bump an old thread but I was looking for Tony Banks/Genesis experts and I thought someone could help me here ;)

It's about "In The Cage", do you know how they create the beat sound at the beginning? Is it just Phil Collins kick drum or something else?

And just to be sure, Tony Banks used the Fuzz Guitar 1 preset on his Arp Soloist for the solo, isn't it?

Thanks in advance ;)

Return to “Sonic Reality / eSoundz.com”