A Tribute To The Late, Great Esbjorn Svensson.

Share your music, collaborate, and partake in monthly music contests.
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Hello and thanks for stopping by.

Is anyone out there into jazz?

Here's a track I composed in honor of the venerable Esbjorn Svensson.

I don't pretend to be anywhere even close to his mastery.

I like many around the world are saddened by his tragic death while diving with his children off the island of Värmdö, near Stockholm.

EST-music.com performed a variety of jazz based music that ranged from Monk to Metallica, funk to electronica, thriving on chance operations as much as perfectly drilled compositions.

If you loved E.S.T. you'll love The Bad Plus as well:

http://www.myspace.com/badplus

I composed this using a guitar synth as my midi controller, Spectrasonics Omnisphere Stricken Piano, Trilogy for bass and Ableton's Live 7 Chocolate Audio for drums.

Missing Esbjorn:

http://www.opendrive.com/files/6344026_ ... sbjorn.mp3
Last edited by any1particular on Fri Apr 30, 2010 10:48 am, edited 3 times in total.

I will tune in to this later today. You spelled the island wrong. It's Värmdö otside of Stockholm. Yeah I like his music and are sadened by his tragic death.
Best regards from Johan Brodd.
JoBroMedia since 1996.

jobromedia wrote:I will tune in to this later today. You spelled the island wrong. It's Värmdö otside of Stockholm. Yeah I like his music and are sadened by his tragic death.
Thanks for pointing out my spelling error jobromedia.

I just corrected it.

Be sure to check http://www.myspace.com/badplus as well.

Peace.

Oh my... gosh is just not good enough word to describe this. I really like this one! I don't care if you're half as good as he was, what counts is that I love your style.
Best regards from Johan Brodd.
JoBroMedia since 1996.

Fvck, I didn't know Esbjorn was dead :cry: What a loss... I was never into the experimental side of EST, but the more traditional tracks simply blew me away.

The EST vibe sure is present in your track - same careful composition and familiar harmonies. The piano and bass parts work great, but you need better drums and/or more careful programming as repeated samples/machine gun effect destroys the part in a number of places. Overall, a very nice piece to listen to. If only it wasn't inspired by such a tragic event... :(
the the impotence of proofreading

Paulie Phonick wrote: Overall, a very nice piece to listen to. If only it wasn't inspired by such a tragic event... :(
+1

Thanks for posting this.

/Yoss

Thank you ALL for taking the time to listen to my music and post your kind replies.

It really means a lot to me and gives me inspiration to produce more compositions.

Paulie Phonick, thank you for your suggestion regarding the drums. I appreciate critisism and can handle it.

Yeah! I 'm not a drummer and it certainly is a challenge trying to come up with a convincing drum track (especially a jazzy one?).

I'll continue to work on the drums.

I had so much fun putting this track together that I did another one (E.S.T. styled music).

I'll post it soon in case anyone is interested.

If anyone has music they'd like to share I would love to give it a listen.

Long live the spirit of Esbjorn Svensson!!!!!!!

any1particular wrote:
jobromedia wrote:I will tune in to this later today. You spelled the island wrong. It's Värmdö outside of Stockholm. Yeah I like his music and was saddened by his tragic death.
Thanks for pointing out my spelling error jobromedia.

I just corrected it.
..and I just corrected his..

..people in glass houses and all that.. :hihi:

Thoroughly enjoyed this.

You might look up Lorenz Schimpf for some real drum tracks. He's a jazzer and could certainly play this tune and possibly record it for you. www.lorenz-schimpf.de

very nice. I'm a big EST fan and it was absolutely tragic that he died this year.

I would have liked to hear more variation in the bass part, that would be my only request.

other than that . cool!!!

do you play live?

rockstar_not wrote:Thoroughly enjoyed this.

You might look up Lorenz Schimpf for some real drum tracks. He's a jazzer and could certainly play this tune and possibly record it for you. www.lorenz-schimpf.de
Hello Rockstar_Not!

I love that profile name- tis a hoot-NOT!

Thanks for the compliment. I'm having so much fun with this incredible technology! Sooooooo much freakin fun!

I checked your music for a minute-very cool. When I get more time I'll give it more of a thorough listen.

where in Michigan do you live?

Swedish jazz musicians seem to be cursed. Just look at Jan Johansson...

I can't load your page =(

any1particular wrote:
rockstar_not wrote:Thoroughly enjoyed this.

Hello Rockstar_Not!

I love that profile name- tis a hoot-NOT!

Thanks for the compliment. I'm having so much fun with this incredible technology! Sooooooo much freakin fun!

I checked your music for a minute-very cool. When I get more time I'll give it more of a thorough listen.

where in Michigan do you live?
I'm in Clarkston.

And you?

BTW - Lorenz played drums on my song 'Cerulean Sky' that's accessible from my website.

fitch wrote:very nice. I'm a big EST fan and it was absolutely tragic that he died this year.

I would have liked to hear more variation in the bass part, that would be my only request.

other than that . cool!!!

do you play live?
Hey Fitch.

Thank you for taking the time to listen and reply-it is very cool of you.

I appreciate and need the criticism. And I can handle it. It is important part of growing.

Regarding the Bass. By the time I finnish these tracks I'm so tired of them I have to at least put them on the back burner for a while. And so perhaps in the future I'll coninue to work on it.

I'm actually a guitarist and use a guitar synth as my midi controller.

I'm not a drummer or a bass player. I normally try and stay away from sampled acoustic instruments because of falling into the main stream trap.

Electronic music is wide open and ripe for creativity.

There really isn't a right or wrong way to do things-and that's the beauty of it. Kind of like Rock & Roll was when it was born etc etc.

Do I sound like a preacher? Yikes! I hope not!!!

I'm a 50 year old dood (I sell Real Estate for a living after performing professionally for 30 years blah blah blah) and I like many am way interested in music technology.

It's fun for me to compose music, post it here and there on the Internet and now and again someone will respond one way or the other-say that 10 times real fast!!!

So no I don't perform live. Been there and done that for a life time.

One of my claims to fame is I toured with Bob James. Don't know if you'd know that name in Ireland. He is a brilliant pianist and wrote the themes for M.A.S.H. and Hill Street Blues among other popular TV shows here in The States.

Whew! I didn't mean to ramble like that!!! Sorry.

Thanks again for your ears and if you have music to share I'm all ears!

Peace.

Return to “Music Cafe”