Free improvisations on The MACHINE, part 2

Share your music, collaborate, and partake in monthly music contests.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

More totally improvised and unpolished stuff (hence the glitches, as explained in this topic)

Rainy Saturday Blues
[7:49, 192 kbps MP3, 11.2 M]

Cheers Matt
Every time you use autotune, God kills a kitten.
Please, think of the kittens.

hmm Matt, i have mixed emotions about this improvisation.
First the positive: you're an excellent piano-player (nothing new for you, i suppose :wink: ).
The problem for me: i don't have problems with glitches but with clichés that aren't ironically broken in a way ; so, i'm sure, a lot of people will exactly like, what i dislike.
1) the 'sax' sounds too 'keyboardish' and much more like a synth-lead than like a saxophone.
2) the piano/strings combi is overused by a lot of people, who play in hotels or people, who make music for TV-productions.
3) the Rachmaninov/Sibelius-fills are overused too. I admit, i can't play most of them, but i don't want to play them anyway too.

So, i'm also biased about the atmosphere: We are all accustomed to certain musical phrases and 'Rainy Saturday Blues' evokes a lot of them, but it would be better to have a real sax playin' and a good synth pad instead of these cheesy strings and less reverb on the piano and less piano-fills ... then i'd like it.

You know, it's just my melloic weirdoo, but i took the time to download and listen and thought 'ok, i tell you, what i think'.

cheers

Chris
"It dreamed itself along"

Wow Chris, that you took the time for such in-depth review is really flattering :)

Yes, I agree about the cheezy sounds and overused cliches. The current impro setup is a slowly evolving system to help new ideas flow without touching the mouse (as hunting for "that lead sound that I hear in my head so clearly" is the cancer that was killing my productivity for years), so that the good ones can be polished up relatively quickly, and the bad ones end up gathering silicone dust in arhive folders. (to be sold for millions after I'm dead, lol :D Not. ) I hope to gradually build up better multi-genre-purposed pad and lead layers, and suggestions such as yours are a useful reminder to spend more work on them.

Thanks a lot, Matt

very pleasant and relaxing. I don't really know blues styles well enough to comment on whether or not some phases are cliched or not.

As the man said, really good piano playing.
It wasn't me! (well, actually, it probably was) - apparently now an 'elderly' so maybe I forgot!

yes the sax...yuck. but the piano is awesome!! reminds me a little bit of the song from Tears for Fears (The Working Hour track)...at least the sax evokes that a bit....until you play the more frantic parts and it is just synth.....stuff.

but the piece is awesome in its flowing beautifulness!...props!

Thanks a bunch guys!!

Yes, that's the curse of all-round-workstation synths; not a single acoustic patch makes a decent lead on its own

Return to “Music Cafe”