No sound in Samplitude- possible bug?

Audio Plugin Hosts and other audio software applications discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Ok, so after the Samplitude vs. Cubase thread, I think Samplitude got mad at me. As of yesterday, I can't get sound out of it any more. Nothing has changed on my computer since I last used it before that.

Windows sound works fine. Meters move, but no sound comes out. Not on playback, not during recording, not with input monitoring on, no nothing. I've tried different driver types, but no luck.

I open up Sonar, Kontakt standalone, Reaper demo, Podium, everything else works. No issues. Close those programs and open Samplitude, nothing.

I am confident it's not a driver issue because EVERYTHING else works with it. I've checked all settings I could find, but couldn't get any sound. Keep in mind that before yesterday, I had sound. I didn't install anything new, and every other program works.

Oh, and I have tried restarting Windows and starting Samplitude right after that. No luck.

Any ideas? What am I missing?

Brent
Last edited by koolkeys on Sun Mar 01, 2009 6:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
My host is better than your host

DELETED

shallow wrote:
koolkeys wrote:Ok, so after the Samplitude vs. Cubase thread, I think Samplitude got mad at me.
Any ideas? What am I missing?

Brent
You have to go back and edit your old posts to say that you love Samplitude more than all the others. Then give it 30 minutes to update.

:)
Hehe, that's what I'm thinking will be necessary. It's uncanny really. Almost like Samplitude knew I was talking about it!

Brent :-o

Ok, I'm at a loss. I reinstalled ASIO4ALL, no workie. It still works everywhere else. But it says in the ASIO4ALL control panel that the audio output isn't available(it doesn't say this when running another program, only Samplitude).

Something is seriously screwed up or I'm missing something that's right under my nose. I'm just lost here on what to do.

Brent

Brent,

Are you using ASIO? Make sure it is set to ASIO and pointing to your sound card and driver. Do you have more than one sound card?

This one is kind of duh, but make sure mute is not on for all channels or solo on for a channel with no audio. Is your sliders down on the mixer or main output channels? Is your routing proper - is the outputs going to a legit audio card and channels?

You may want to try the economy engine (or each engine) with the slider.

Can you bring in a pre-recorded wav file and play it back?

When in doubt, uninstall and re-install.

Mike

Well, I've already looked at all of that. As I said, it worked before and I didn't change anything. I have double and triple checked the audio settings, changed drivers and changed back, and nothing. And the WDM and MME drivers don't work either. Only one device at the moment using ASIO4ALL. My other interfaces are at home.

This happens on older projects, demo projects, and brand new projects. I can start with one track, nothing muted, but no luck. I've tried all the normal ASIO troubleshooting steps, looked in a dozen places for possible problems, but no luck. I even completely uninstalled ASIO4ALL, including all registry values and other left over files(using an uninstall program I use), and then reinstalled. Same problem. The main output becomes unavailable in the ASIO4ALL control panel when starting up Samplitude. When I quite Samplitude, the output becomes available again in the control panel. And it works in every other host I tried it in.

Bizzzzzzzarre.

Brent

brent check your monitoring options
The highest form of knowledge is empathy, for it requires us to suspend our egos and live in another's world. It requires profound, purpose‐larger‐than‐the‐self kind of understanding.

I'm not sure what to check. I've checked every option menu for something that sounds like it would cause problems, but nothing. I've looked at all track options, turned monitoring on and off, nothing works.

What settings exactly are you saying to check? I don't see any options for monitoring in the preferences. Are you talking about the monitoring/engine mode stuff?

Brent

Just to expand on what monitoring things I HAVE checked, I adjusted the slider in the monitoring/engine mode section. I have changed from tape monitoring to manual monitoring, and also checked the box for mixing input and playback. None of it made a difference.

It's odd because it wouldn't seem like any of these options would affect the driver. But the driver works fine, just not in Samplitude. It DID work, as I said. Which is why I'm so confused. I haven't changed any settings in weeks.

Brent

You have to tab to transient. Oh, wait....nevermind.

Sorry man, I feel your pain but I couldn't resist.

Hope you find the solution soon.

Dan
Those that can, do. Those that can't, argue about it on k-v-r

brent in the master section there is a monitor level knob, I'm not sure what skin you're using but somewhere in the lower right corner of the mixer. Any chance that got turned down?
The highest form of knowledge is empathy, for it requires us to suspend our egos and live in another's world. It requires profound, purpose‐larger‐than‐the‐self kind of understanding.

Hink wrote:brent in the master section there is a monitor level knob, I'm not sure what skin you're using but somewhere in the lower right corner of the mixer. Any chance that got turned down?
Well, I checked this and it was fine.

But the strangest thing(as if it wasn't strange enough, eh?) is that I literally changed NOTHING. I just drove home. When leaving work, it still didn't work. I closed my laptop, put it in the bag, came home, opened it and fired up Samplitude, and now there is sound again. This is REALLY odd. The only difference is that at work I had my MIDI controller plugged in, and now I don't. So I'll have to plug that in and see if it does anything. But it really shouldn't do anything.

I'm holding my breath to see if it sticks. I'm so confused!

Brent

One time the windows mixer was set to mute on my laptop by accident and took me a while to figure it out. I doubt that this your case though.

paradiddle wrote:One time the windows mixer was set to mute on my laptop by accident and took me a while to figure it out. I doubt that this your case though.
That was one of the first things I thought of. But my soft mute button wasn't pressed and the Windows mixer didn't have anything muted.

I'm telling you, this was just odd. I'm going to hook up my MIDI controller just in case, though I can't imagine that would cause an audio problem, would it?

Brent

Well, as strange as it may seem, I've narrowed it down. I plugged my keyboard back in and what do you know, no sound. Unplug it and restart Samplitude, and sound comes back.

I don't know what is happening or how to troubleshoot this really. It ONLY happens in Samplitude still. I tried my other hosts again and there are no issues. I tried switching USB ports, but no go.

So, what in the world could be causing this? If it only happens in Samplitude, it makes me wonder if there is another setting somewhere that has to be wrong. I've used this keyboard since I got Samplitude as it's portable. It's an Edirol PCR-M50 controller. But it worked before. Like I said, nothing was installed or uninstalled or changed, so I'm confused.

Brent

Return to “Hosts & Applications (Sequencers, DAWs, Audio Editors, etc.)”