Jazzyspoon digital trash

Share your music, collaborate, and partake in monthly music contests.
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Here's a couple of unfinished very electronic tracks (even for me) that have been on and off the workbench for a while. I am moving in a different direction (musically) at the moment, so it's probably time to share some of the digital fodder I have been sitting on.
The first was intended to be a demo song for Sonic Charge's Synplant as it is used heavily in this. But I never really finished it, so I thought I would share what I had so far.
IN WAVES - Jazzyspoon
320kbps 17.3mb 7:35

This next one was inspired by a suggestion of Rachmiel's that glitch/FSU type effects or machines often break down and behave oddly at tempo's slower than 30 bpm's. He was right, and I got some cool behaviors out of this experiment. Sorry for the length, but it does get more rhythmic after a couple minutes. (thats what he said)
SLOWN - Jazzyspoon
320kbps 18.1mb 7:56
edit: I made a 'radio edit' version of Slown to remove the first 3 or so minutes of madness and cut straight to the rhythm section.
SLOWN (radio edit) - Jazzyspoon
320kbps 13.8mb 6:02

And, lastly, this was something I was going to enter in a "make a song for a video game" type contest, but got distracted by other projects and forgot about it (in fact, I can't even find the link to the original post/contest that inspired this). So I threw some samples on it, borrowed some keyboards from Justin3am ;) , and squished it all together. Not my proudest moment mix-wise and there is a lot to be desired about this track, but maybe I'll revisit it eventually when I have more time (and I am in this kind of mood). Synthgeek will likely get a kick outta me trying to do something in his musical neighborhood and falling flat on my face. :hihi:
INHUMANIZE - Jazzyspoon
320kbps 11.9mb 5:13

Thanks for the listen if you get the chance.
Last edited by Jazzyspoon on Thu Mar 19, 2009 4:22 am, edited 1 time in total.

tagged for later.

I can't wait to give these a listen!

Got em downloaded... I'll be back tonight or tomorrow.
Image Image

About to head out for dinner with my mom, but I'll be back.
Jazzyspoon wrote:Synthgeek will likely get a kick outta me trying to do something in his musical neighborhood and falling flat on my face. :hihi:
Oh come now, I've heard your darker side (I'm assuming that's what you mean by my "musical neighborhood"), and I know you can put me to shame there.
Fugue State Audio - plugins, samples, etc.
Support the Union of Musicians and Allied Workers

Alright, got to them right away...

In Waves
Great atmospheric opener, and the drop is of course awesome, those bass dives are just yum, crashing waves make a nice outro, is that a weird little voice stretch at 5:05?

Inhumanize
Wicked palette of harsh sounds, great off kilter beat, and what a kick!

Slown
Beautifully weird voices at the opening, surprising groove drop, and upright bass!, I love that groove, the outro is gorgeously atmospheric - is there some of that little monk dude in there?

Wow! So glad to see you back with a big buncha sonic goodness Jazzy - these are really well done my friend.
Image Image

Yeah, the 5:05 sound is a stretched version of the previous heard recording of an old friend of mine saying "okay, I'm starting to really enjoy this."

The little monk dude is actually a wave file I made in Sayit. It's through a lot of effects and time stretched and reversed and so on, but it is slowly reciting some poetry.

I gotta run to dinner myself. :)

Thanks for giving me an ear.
Last edited by Jazzyspoon on Wed Mar 18, 2009 7:04 am, edited 1 time in total.

I really like In Waves. Possibly because it seems almost unassuming, the least extroverted of the three tracks. It had my attention but didn't demand it, for some reason that's exactly what mood suited tonight.

Ok, back now.

In Waves: the intro was nice & floaty. The drum work later into the track is awesome.

Slown: more awesomeness in the rhythmic department. I like the funky bassline! Some really cool atmospherics as well.

Inhumanize: ok, so you may have seen this coming, but I really like this. :) There are some really great sounds in here, and like Poly said, that kick!

I'm glad you shared this batch with us, some great stuff here. Unfinished. Pfft. :P

Hey, thanks for listening, Shamann. These 3 songs are all a little over the top/overkill in my opinion, but I'm glad one of them was easy enough on the senses to get immersed in for ya.

Synthgeek, while working on inhumanize, I actually began to hope you might like it. Must have subconsciously inspired me as I have been listening to your music quite a bit lately on Last.fm and my CD jukebox.

Jazzyspoon wrote:Synthgeek, while working on inhumanize, I actually began to hope you might like it. Must have subconsciously inspired me as I have been listening to your music quite a bit lately on Last.fm and my CD jukebox.
Well, mission accomplished. :) And thanks for listening, good to hear. Your own stuff gets a lot of action on my mp3 player- it makes great driving/hiking music.

Man 'In Waves' is really special. I know you don't consider it finished but the amount of liberty it gives ones imagination to explore is really what makes it what it is I think. The sounds are so diverse that it really inspires the mind to roam.

Slown is really funky. the drums are too cool for school they way each hit latches on to the next and pulls the grove together. Awesome bass sounds too. I love the atmospheric vocal ending.

InHumanize seems to drag in places. Not that it's repetitive, it just didn't hold my attention as much as the other two. I'm surprised that you could make that synth sound work in a track. When I tried to use it, it was always too overbearing or it lost its character. You did it right though. The sounds in here are really fascinating, I'll have to give it another listen.

Thanks!

I should also add, the keyboards in Inhumanize are an edited/manipulated wav file of a jammin and twisted crazy solo by Justin3am on his V-synth (I think). Thanks, Justin. The track wouldn't have been anything worth sharing/posting without it. :hail:

Jazzyspoon wrote:I should also add, the keyboards in Inhumanize are an edited/manipulated wav file of a jammin and twisted crazy solo by Justin3am on his V-synth (I think). Thanks, Justin. The track wouldn't have been anything worth sharing/posting without it. :hail:
Actually it was a synth that comes with Pro Tools 8 called Vacuum. It's a bit like Olga if Olga had some x-mod routing for FM and filter modulation. A pretty simple monosynth but insanely dirty and fat sounding. :)

justin3am wrote:Man 'In Waves' is really special. I know you don't consider it finished but the amount of liberty it gives ones imagination to explore is really what makes it what it is I think. The sounds are so diverse that it really inspires the mind to roam.

Slown is really funky. the drums are too cool for school they way each hit latches on to the next and pulls the grove together. Awesome bass sounds too. I love the atmospheric vocal ending.

InHumanize seems to drag in places. Not that it's repetitive, it just didn't hold my attention as much as the other two. I'm surprised that you could make that synth sound work in a track. When I tried to use it, it was always too overbearing or it lost its character. You did it right though. The sounds in here are really fascinating, I'll have to give it another listen.

Thanks!
Thanks again, J. Yeah, inhumanize didn't seem finished mix or arrangement wise, but that one will go on hold for a while as I am tone deafened by it right now. :hihi:

The balloonish ending of slown is my favorite part of that song honestly. I am considering making a version without the long intro or making the intro a short song of it's own.

In waves was fun, but the end result was way more FSOL sounding than I had originally envisioned. Still, it is comfy.
Actually it was a synth that comes with Pro Tools 8 called Vacuum. It's a bit like Olga if Olga had some x-mod routing for FM and filter modulation. A pretty simple monosynth but insanely dirty and fat sounding. :)
I was wondering what synth it was. It's badass sounding.

Return to “Music Cafe”