My tune and your mixing advices

Share your music, collaborate, and partake in monthly music contests.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Originak name: "Steam gets through bubbles in electricity field" but actually if you come up with a better name, I will be glad to hear it.
link: http://filekeeper.org/download/shared/a ... _field.ogg

Credits:
Bass - Black Bass + SVX + BotEQMk2
Beat - Guru
Keys - Lounge Lizard
Bass in chorus - make a guess!
some sounds over there and over here - uncredited, let me leave some mystery :)
T-Rex - on Master track
FX section include - lots of delay, as you can here, reverb, cutoff filter staring from 80-100 Hz on most of the tracks but bass (that is a recent advice I've dug from the forum and it have seriously cleaned my mix)

I am really novice to mixing, mastering and all that, but I am eager to learn. Please tell me all you think, don't be afraid to hurt me anyhow. I'm mostly happy with the arrangement, but if you have something to say over there - you are welcome. I'd like to here more about mixing - what are my mistakes, what whould you advice to imporve overall sound and its richness on this song.

The bass guitar seems recorded way too hot and distorted for the style and feel of the track, but I really like the funky arrangement of it a lot. No guesses for the bass chorus section. In fact, it could be your render of the mp3 (the distortion) it's hard to tell as I can't hear the kick at all.
Groovy little downtempo jam though.

1 - kick in drums presents only in the piece where rhodes play, I was thinkng about adding second line for drums that would be more in mids / low frequency, with a few sounds but bringing more punch and weight to my drum line
2 - I'm pretty sure that ogg file with 300 vbr bitrate wont cause any distortion. Yes there is some distortion on the bass coming from AmpegSVX amp I have chosen. I just like the bass (I am a bass maniac) so much that I porbably have overdone it. I'll try some other amping after you comment, I agree that it is to loud and dragging to much attention to itself.

Appreciate your comments Jazzyspoon

please check the new version : http://filekeeper.org/download/shared/_ ... _mix2_.ogg

I have taken to consideration your hints, but still not very sure.

I like this, but it seems like there's a lot of clipping-type distortion (on/in the file itself, not a particular instrument).

Is that deliberate? If it's not, then fixing that would make this sound much better to me.

In any case, I like the song.

I like the fact that the bass is pulled back and that is an improvement to version 1. Personally, I find the bass on the intro to still be muddy and if that is your artistic goal, then so be it. Otherwise, you might consider some EQ to thin out the sound. The bass sounds that come later are clearer and more pleasing to my ear.

I agree that there is some distortion on the mix and I was not sure if that was an error or an artistic choice. Even if it is an artistic choice, it might be interesting to you to know that, to my ear, it sounds more like a mistake than an artistic choice.

The composition has a certain coolness and tranquility to it and I think that it is worth your continued work and attention. And the title is more than cool, it is sublime.

Return to “Music Cafe”