mxml Error When Opening Instruments / Can't Save

Official support for: zynaddsubfx.sourceforge.net
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Hi, I'm fairly new to ZynAddSubFX but I've made a couple tracks with it and love it. The only problem is that I can't save an instrument. I have even made my /home/megsuma/banks folder the only banks folder to choose from, but when I "WRITE" a new instrument and, say, check PADSynth and uncheck ADDSynth and then load the instrument again, the ADDSynth is checked and PADSynth is not.

This is where mxml comes in - I cannot load the default banks either. When I choose any instrument (stock or one I made), the command line displays:

Code: Select all

mxml: Bad control character 0x1f not allowed by XML standard!
Any help would be appreciated - I've tried the latest stable Zyn and 2.6 mxml.

Did you compile Zyn yourself, or get it packaged from a distro?

There are issues with compiling against some versions of MXML but I know 2.5 works fine.
It wasn't me! (well, actually, it probably was) - apparently now an 'elderly' so maybe I forgot!

I compiled from source, and I thought I checked for anything related in the Makefile.inc to encoding or xml, but no luck.

Here are the notes I made for installing it (in debian linux)

install autoconf
install build-essential
install libfltk1.1-dev
install libmxml-dev
install fftw3-dev
install libasound2-dev
install fluid
unpack zynaddsubfx & cd to the directory
make clean
make

The image can be run directly at this location or can be moved to /usr/local/bin
It wasn't me! (well, actually, it probably was) - apparently now an 'elderly' so maybe I forgot!

Well, I got mxml 2.2 (was using 2.6) and recompiled zyn with 2.2, but still no luck. I was using the CVS version of Zyn, but decided to try the prepackaged sources again for Zyn 2.2.1 and that didn't work either. This really has me stumped. For anyone on a system where they had to compile the libraries before Zyn, could you give me the versions of the libraries you installed? I can't imagine that fftw or anything else would cause this error, but at this point I'm stumped.

I have used mxml 2.5 in the past and have had no issues, perhaps there was some significant change in mxml 2.6 which caused the issue.

If you end up compiling your mxml from scratch, you might want to double check that the library gets configured to support gzip compressed files, as that is how ZynAddSubFX will store the instruments/settings by default. (a mxml without this support could explain the occurrence of the uncommon control character)

Agree with this. Also V 2.2 is known to have problems. I use V 2.5.

Return to “ZynAddSubFX”