Alchemy - trippy, glitchy, dubby n' deep!

Share your music, collaborate, and partake in monthly music contests.
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Bobbotov wrote:Very cool all the way round Sarah and it would be great to hear the non compressed versions somewhere. Loved all of the music especially "Deep Jazz." Can you describe your set up?
Thankyou Bobbotov. Set-up... well I record in a crappy, boxy untreated room using Alesis M1 mk2 monitors and a Rode NT1000 mic (which has actually died recently -RIP) Instruments - all software now. On this track I use a few Native Instruments synths (Reaktor (Skrewell mainly for the glitches), Absynth & FM8, Kore 2, UAD processing plugs, and loads of effects plugins (in use here are Camelspace, Tone2 Filterbank and the Deep Reconstructions Kore soundpack). The drums are from MicroTonic.

S

MWSOS wrote:Hi Sarah!

I've listened to Alchemy several times now, and love it 8)

I love the relaxed groove, the shifting movements, while the little glitchy touches and effects really add to the other-worldy feel.

However it's the vocals that turn it into something really memorable.

Well done! :D

Martin
Thanks Martin! I really appreciate your comments. In fact I'm quite overwhelmed by everyone's kind words. It makes all the hard work worthwhile!

I've just posted what I think is an improved mix. Any feedback on this would be good. I've boosted the level of the instrumets, gated the kick drum and done a bit of frequency slotting in the low-end. I've also stuck a limiter on it to squeeze a couple of extra db's of volume out of it.

Hopefully it's better.

Thanks again everyone. :D

hmmm... think I've overcooked the bass a bit ??

sazb30 wrote:
Bobbotov wrote:Very cool all the way round Sarah and it would be great to hear the non compressed versions somewhere. Loved all of the music especially "Deep Jazz." Can you describe your set up?
Thankyou Bobbotov. Set-up... well I record in a crappy, boxy untreated room using Alesis M1 mk2 monitors and a Rode NT1000 mic (which has actually died recently -RIP) Instruments - all software now. On this track I use a few Native Instruments synths (Reaktor (Skrewell mainly for the glitches), Absynth & FM8, Kore 2, UAD processing plugs, and loads of effects plugins (in use here are Camelspace, Tone2 Filterbank and the Deep Reconstructions Kore soundpack). The drums are from MicroTonic.

S
Is that your sax playing as well on Deep Jazz?

Bobbotov wrote:
sazb30 wrote:

S
Is that your sax playing as well on Deep Jazz?
No, it's all samples... I just sort of stitched together a load of riffs and licks. I wish I could play the sax! :)

Nice job as it fits perfectly.

Beautiful song, and I love your singing. Truly impressive. Downloading now.

Thank you for the perfect ending of a looong day!

Cheers!

apan wrote:Beautiful song, and I love your singing. Truly impressive. Downloading now.

Thank you for the perfect ending of a looong day!

Cheers!
Thanks apan. I'm glad you like it and that it helped you wind down after a long hard day! Thank god it's Friday!! :D

Nice.

I especially appreciate that you're not afraid to have everything drop away every once in a while. My own tracks have too many instruments that are on auto-pilot.

Victor.

Just :tu:

Too bad I cant DL the mp3 on soundclick otherwise a definitive keeper.

I appreciated the overall softness. Reminds me of the Bristol School too in a way. ( Maybe the voice, like in "Wandering stars" )

Thanks for this Nice musical moment.

LtZ
http://www.lelotusbleu.fr Synth Presets

77 Exclusive Soundbanks for 23 synths, 8 Sound Designers, Hours of audio Demos. The Sound you miss might be there

Volume is a bit low but the sphere is marvelous
Just my jar of peanuts.

Do you have the raw waves so i can do a remix / master?

the vocoded vocal is TOPNOTCH and nothing less
(lyric as well)

Vic, Lotuz & ET - thanks for listening and for the positive feedback!! I'm really happy that you like it. Lotuz - you should be able to DL an MP3 from Soundclick. I think you need to click on 'full' in the streaming box.

ET - yes, of course you can remix it, that would be brilliant! One of my favourite tracks on here recently is your Colors in Dutch - love it :love:

I'm going to try and find somewhere to host the stems and then anybody that wants to can have a go at remixing it.

I'll get back to you!!

S

hey sazb30 you can put 'em up on sectionz if you like.

The goodies section was made for that kind of thing, though it's in the infirmary. If you want to host a zip of the files on sz let me know.

Cheers

Nice tune. Only problem I have with is are these:

- some relatively nasty resonant problems in the left speaker (probably that bass). You could reduce them easily with an EQ.

- over use of autotune / pitch correction on vocals. I know this might be an intentional sound but I personally can not really stand it. Especially when you can hear it "wobble" during sustained notes. I'd rather hear your voice in it's natural state as it's obviously very good. :)

EDIT: oh, I forgot to add that I was listening to the "new mix". A quick listen to the old one shows that you've indeed overcooked the bass a bit. Those resonances I meantioned are not at all that present in the original.

Cheers!
bManic
"Wisdom is wisdom, regardless of the idiot who said it." -an idiot

bmanic wrote:Nice tune. Only problem I have with is are these:

- some relatively nasty resonant problems in the left speaker (probably that bass). You could reduce them easily with an EQ.

- over use of autotune / pitch correction on vocals. I know this might be an intentional sound but I personally can not really stand it. Especially when you can hear it "wobble" during sustained notes. I'd rather hear your voice in it's natural state as it's obviously very good. :)

EDIT: oh, I forgot to add that I was listening to the "new mix". A quick listen to the old one shows that you've indeed overcooked the bass a bit. Those resonances I meantioned are not at all that present in the original.

Cheers!
bManic
Thanks for your thoughts and comments on the mix bmanic, much appreciated. I'll go back to the mix and sort that bass out. I expected the pitch correction effect to cause mixed reactions to be honest! I think it works in the context of the feel of the track (spacey and other-worldly) and I decided to use it because it added to the overall effect. But I totally understand that it's not everyone's cup of tea! It does get seriously over-used these days, although I personally have always liked the sound of it as an effect :)

Return to “Music Cafe”