EBM-ish track, lotsa SQ8L

Share your music, collaborate, and partake in monthly music contests.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Here's sort of late 80s EBM/New Beat inspired track I banged in Orion this weekend. Hope you like it!
"Simple Facts Of Life"
Box.net (stream or d/l)
Simple Facts Of Life.mp3
or Fileden (direct d/l)
JF_SimpleFactsOfLife.mp3

256 kbps, 4,5MB

Comments welcomed![/url]

bumpety bump
erm... is it that horrible?

Jazz Franco wrote:is it that horrible?
Answer? No. I rather like it. It reminds me of some chillout stuff that Doug Padilla used to do, although your track has a bit more energy with the shuffling beats.

It's a great example of having just a few simple ideas but getting the sounds spot on, they really fit together. Perhaps the bell lead could do with a counterpoint lead later on in the track?

Thanks for listening, feedback & suggestion! But who's Doug Padilla (sorry for my ignorance)? Google gives some US athlete. Or did you mean Jose?
Actually, I think the inspiration were Chris & Cosey records from the period; used to listen to them a lot back then.

Bless my faulty brain. I did mean Jose Padilla. As a kid I was into watching athletics, that's probably where Doug Padilla came from!

I don't know Chris & Cosey but I used to have a Chillout compilation CD that had a very bell-oriented track by JOSE Padilla and your track reminded me of it.

Ok, maybe a totally stupid question, EBM stands for what? Also IDM? Thx for educating the ignorent :oops:

*EDIT Almost forgot, NICE track :tu:
KVR >Gear Slutz! Change my mind! :clap:

Clear now! Here's some Chris & Cosey, from 1991's Pagan Tango, guess you may like it
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kNYmHqrTCcA
BTW they had a track called Synaesthesia, on the same album, iirc ;)

VSTJunkie: thx for nice words!
EBM = Electronic Body Music, style that emerged in the 80s with such artists as Front 242, Nitzer Ebb, A Split Second etc... I think there was a nice wikipedia article on the matter.
IDM = Intelligent Dance Music and in my experience the term is used to define just whatever electronic music that doesn't use "raise your hands in the air!" vocals and cheesy trance beats.
:?

Jazz Franco wrote:Clear now! Here's some Chris & Cosey, from 1991's Pagan Tango, guess you may like it
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kNYmHqrTCcA
BTW they had a track called Synaesthesia, on the same album, iirc ;)

VSTJunkie: thx for nice words!
EBM = Electronic Body Music, style that emerged in the 80s with such artists as Front 242, Nitzer Ebb, A Split Second etc... I think there was a nice wikipedia article on the matter.
IDM = Intelligent Dance Music and in my experience the term is used to define just whatever electronic music that doesn't use "raise your hands in the air!" vocals and cheesy trance beats.
:?
Thx for the clarification :D
KVR >Gear Slutz! Change my mind! :clap:

Can't leave out one of my favorite Porcupine Tree songs "Synesthesia", almost EBM in its own right, although it's more techno prog rock. Drums were done on a drum machine.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7pT11xmc9BY&fmt=18

This isn't the real video, just some guy trying to do a Star Trek on acid simulation with the original version of the song playing done with a drum machine on the Up The Downstair album.

In 2004 (Up The Downstair 2004 Edition)they re-recorded real drums with their current drummer, although Steven Wilson wanted him to play them exactly like the original drum machine parts, not taking away anything from the original vision of the song, and not adding anything too technical or complex. I thought that was an interesting concept being as Gavin Harrison is a super talented technical drummer.

Synesthesia (2004 Edition)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oUR4-KWWl84&fmt=18

BTW Nice track Jazz Franco :). Trying to listen to lots of different stuff on KVR lately to get re-inspired as of late.

Thanks metallifux!

And the PT track is awesome, never knew they ever made stuff like that!

Yeah, their earlier stuff is more experimental/psychedelic prog/acid/electro rock and often times completely ambient/chillout, not like their current stuff which is more so standard metal/rock ballad like.

Return to “Music Cafe”