The I promise I will not buy more gear-thread

Anything about MUSIC but doesn't fit into the forums above.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

I dug this up because...well...I did more shopping...and got a bunch of wiard and bugbrand pieces for the modular....sigh :cry:
Barry
If a billion people believe a stupid thing it is still a stupid thing

trimph1 wrote:I dug this up because...well...I did more shopping...and got a bunch of wiard and bugbrand pieces for the modular....sigh :cry:
This is why I switched completely to DIY on my modular. No commercial modules are allowed. I'm forced to either take time to build new modules, or keep it the same size.

Didn't stop me from buying some new microphones though. I'm not anywhere close to hoarder level yet. I only own a dozen mics total, not including the pair of measurement microphones, surely those don't count?

There seems to be an extra word in the thread title. I promise I will buy more gear.

All of it hardware FX though, for the foreseeable future. (I have a Little Bear R.Attack (ProCo Rat clone) and a Danelectrode voltage-starving power supply waiting for shipping. I just got sniped by 13 seconds on a Boss BF2 flanger, but I'll score one. There are at least two more fuzz pedals I want to try once I've played with the Rat, and a BBD delay (certain) and multiFX (less certain) on my wishlist after that.)

I will probably skip the Theremini, but I don't promise to...

Funny, I don't think I've ever posted to this thread, but lately I started to get overwhelmed with my gear. Maybe I'm just getting old... probably a combination of having a child and treating gear like VSTs. Also, my wife was finally broken by her new commute and I'm tired of turning down work because it's too far, so we're moving soon and I don't want to move things that are just "meh" or redundant. Anyway, I looked at my studio and it was all over the place. Basically if someone released an analog synth that was under $1000, USD I was interested or already had it. With a fixed space and not much money coming in I started playing this weird, "Well is x better than y? Should I sell x and use birthday money to upgrade z?" It was taking up too much of my mental energy... like a puzzle that was always changing.

So, I did a gear shoot out and it was really revealing. Some synths stood out as pure keepers, others seemed to be asking me, "Why did you buy me?" I got rid of 6 bits of gear without even flinching. However, it also pointed out holes in my gear list. I used the findings of my shoot out to formulate a plan, rather than willy nilly just buying things that caught my eye. It was a good process and I feel better about things. Ergonomically things are shaping up much better as well, though during the transition things are a bit kerflooie.

Keeping:

MoPho Desktop
Pulse 2
ATC-x qfs
Tenori-on
KingKORG
BS2 (maybe)
Sub Phatty
M.Brane 1_1
Lexicon MPX1 (maybe)
OTO Biscuit

Selling/Sold

Minibrute
DX200
Korg KP2
Moog Cluster Flux
Vox Bulldog Distortion

I also got rid of an NS/Stick (a crazy stringed instrument). Hadn't touched it since my daughter was born and it is the type of instrument that really needs daily practice to stay even fairly decent at. Too much value to sit forever collecting dust.

Replacements:

Elektron Analog Four (So far I really dig it!)
Nord Drum 2 (I had no drum hardware and it's been in my head for a long time)
Wavedrum Global (I fell in love with the demos and I've been wanting one since the original and it's high time I had something I could smack in my studio)

Also, not a synth or instrument, but I'm probably going to shelve my Maschine, sell my Novation Remote 25sl (any buyers?) and I have a Ableton Push on the way.

I feel pretty good about all this and I'm pretty sure I'm done with buying gear for a while... except I'm not completely sure I don't want a M.Base or Vermona Kick Lancet to augment the M.Brane and Nord Drum 2. But after that decision has been made, I'm going to totally stop with the gear. I'm done with the collecting/trading part of my hobby and now need to focus on playing.
Zerocrossing Media

4th Law of Robotics: When turning evil, display a red indicator light. ~[ ●_● ]~

You had me until "replacements" ... then I knew you were still with us :hihi:

I haven't been as bad as I was. I sold some stuff, got a few other things. No big purchases, I took that guitar back (no more ibanezes!!!!!!!!!! :x )

I actually have and feel the need to get rid of some gear , instruments , and software . I also need to get some repair work done on a couple of things . I totally wanted to pull the trigger on Live Suite 9 and Push 30% off sale for under a grand this weekend but I held back . I have a mic needing repair , a guitar I need to glue the bridge . etc etc . and stuff needing to sell . I actually want to get rid of some things . Sometimes to much stuff makes you lose focus and creativity .

ghettosynth wrote:...
Wha happened?

hibidy wrote:
ghettosynth wrote:...
Wha happened?
Sometimes the verbosity bug strikes me and then I realize that I'm just clogging up the internet with my bullshit. I never should have hit submit in the first place. I'm concerned about the tubes you know, I don't want them to get all bunged up like my toilet on chili night.

Lolz, there was nothing wrong with it.

zerocrossing wrote: Selling/Sold
Vox Bulldog Distortion
Funny, I was bidding on one of those on eBay, saw elsewhere that you had one and was going to ask you about it, but I decided to let it go as other people started bidding it up closer to what it's worth.

ghettosynth wrote:
trimph1 wrote:I dug this up because...well...I did more shopping...and got a bunch of wiard and bugbrand pieces for the modular....sigh :cry:
This is why I switched completely to DIY on my modular. No commercial modules are allowed. I'm forced to either take time to build new modules, or keep it the same size.

Didn't stop me from buying some new microphones though. I'm not anywhere close to hoarder level yet. I only own a dozen mics total, not including the pair of measurement microphones, surely those don't count?
The more microphones the better ... :)
Barry
If a billion people believe a stupid thing it is still a stupid thing

trimph1 wrote:
ghettosynth wrote:

The more microphones the better ... :)
Yeah, I'm going to allow myself a baker's dozen (not counting the measurement mics) and then call it quits unless I either start recording something/someone else, or I'm earning enough money from said microphones to justify the cost. I don't record drums other than the occasional hand drum and never use more than about three mics at the same time, and, I pretty much only record myself and the occasional jam partner.

Now, that doesn't mean that they have to be the same 13, but I'm going to have to sell some if I want a new mic. (measurement mics don't count, so I have room for one more :) )

If I sell something I'm not using before I buy something I feel a little better , but right now its purge, sell , and fix ... There is stuff I'd love to have , but I'd have to trade or sell before I'd settle or justify getting anything at this point . I guess I feel the need to create and feel a little bit cramped .

Return to “Everything Else (Music related)”