Anyone tried Focusrite Saffire Pro 24 DSP's "VRM" ability?

Anything about hardware musical instruments.
RELATED
PRODUCTS

As someone who is unfortunately forced to mix on headphones more often than not, I've tried a number of solutions that have tried to provide a true representation of a the monitoring experience through headphones (e.g. 112dB's Redline Monitor plugin, and similar).

Today I noticed an advert for Focusrite's new Saffire Pro 24 DSP interface, featuring a technology called VRM (Virtual Reference Monitoring) which "lets you hear your mix in different environments, through different speakers and from different positions, all just using headphones". They state that "VRM allows you to choose from 10 pairs of industry standard nearfield and main monitors in an acoustically treated control room." It appears to use a convolution approach, much like the Liquid Mix line of products (which I have, and am very pleased with) so it sounds credible.

However, it sounds like a dream come true, but is it too good to be true? Has anyone actually auditioned one of these? If so, does it really do what they are suggesting? In which case I'm seriously considering running out and buying one tomorrow...

Many thanks.

I'd like to hear if anyone's tried one of these as well.
I'm in the market for a new interface and was considering the non-DSP/VRM Saffire Pro 24, but if this thing does what it says it does then i reckon i can go the extra £50.

I'm up for a new interface as well so I might put some dollars down on release.
The VRM technology is perfect for headphone monitoring without affecting the neighbors or the partner. Add in Focusrite preamps and all the ins and outs.
399 street sounds good.

Cheers

randyandyvandaman wrote:The VRM technology is perfect for headphone monitoring
Does that mean you've actually heard this thing in action? If so, can you let us know how it performs?

Thanks.

The VRM technology is perfect for headphone monitoring without affecting the neighbors or the partner

No one has it yet and perhaps the elongated quote above would be more suitable.

As a lot of us don't have treated studios or expensive monitors it seems that mixing on headphones is the best viable alternative without waking the neighbors or being inconsiderate to our parents or partner.

It is based on convolution modelling for room sizes, speakers and distances.

As I said I am up for a new interface as my emu 1616m is starting to show its age and I'm sick of waiting for their promised PCI Express card.
It is listed on the Sweetwater website for 399 street, so hopefully Focusrite have done their homework and know their intended market.

Will I buy it on the name alone. More than likely yes.

Cheers

If you look on Sweetwater website it states that it will be released on the 6th day of Sept.
Now where can I get the 399 big ones. I'll find a way if I want it bad.
3 months ago I got rid of 3 drum machines, Trigger pad and Yamaha mixer and other goodies.
Last week I bought Microkorg xl, AX Synth and Beat Thang Virtual.
Got to have all the new toys.

Cheers

does'nt look like anybody has tried this yet. i like to wait about 6 months after a product is launched before i buy but in this case i think i will dive straight in and bit the bullet, well more than think about it i have already ordered, thomman in germany take delivery august 21 and it should be through my door 2 or 3 days later. i am using tapco link usb at the moment, and while i like this little interface its not really for what i am doing which is mixing electronic music production through headphones. focusrite are making some bold claims but they do have the pedigree, and for the price, all the extra's plug-ins etc, it seems like just what i need. will make a post as soon as i have more info. i feel like a little boy again coming up to christmas!!
He who is hated by the people, as the wolf by the dogs - is the free spirit, the enemy of fetters.

have collected today. am using with a new set of sennheiser HD 280 pro phones. so far so great, apart from the fact i will have to redo all my mixes, mainly bass, dreadfull, well thats what i got this set up for.
He who is hated by the people, as the wolf by the dogs - is the free spirit, the enemy of fetters.

Mine arrived today too... Couldn't wait for the reviews. Listening on a set of (old) Sennheiser HD580 Precisions.

Nice :)

I've no idea how realistic it is, but I'm really getting that sitting-in-the-studio vibe, like I've not felt for years. I'm pumped and feel like mixing into the small hours. Tunes I've had lying around for months/years sound completely different and inspiring. I've been mixing on headphones for so long I've forgotten what it sounds like not to have two speakers sitting on each shoulder pointing straight into my ears.

Anyway, that's my first reaction after opening the box 30 minutes ago...

Please don't hesitate, go ahead to give more details :)

this is superb, really, has surpassed my expectations, the VRM is a revelation, switch between settings and keep tweaking the mix. after throwing money at a SH201, X-station and Tapco link usb interfaces i have found what i am looking for. setting up has been easy (live 6.11) i am going to register the plug-in suite now so as to unlock them, i wonder can i use the as plug-ins for live but using the DSP so as to save CPU, if so it will be something. have to say though this has been some of the best money i have spent so far as far as my music prodution is concerned. moving from cubase to ableton was the best move i suppose, this is number two.

update, i have unlocked the EQ, it seems nice and responsive and a bit musical as well. have been flicking around the different monitor settings and think i should settle of two or three and use them, as you would in a real studio, i think i like british studio, well i would, and u.s. yellow cone. it will take a while to choose anyway. this in itself is a bonus. on my toolbar is explorer, live and VRM, all working together nicly at the moment which is a good sign.

This is great guys, really useful :tu:
Another month and i should have the money saved..

Neil.

I'm curious how it compares to Isone Pro:

http://www.kvraudio.com/get/4022.html

JD

hi there! jumping on the occasion to ask this : how do you think the saffire ADC/DAC & preamps compare to say M-Audio Fast Track Ultra or Lexicon IONIX U42S?

Also, is it possible to use it on a laptop with a 4 pin FW400 socket? is it bus powered or wall powered?

Thanks!

Return to “Hardware (Instruments and Effects)”