Horror movie synth...

How to make that sound...
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

I've been trying to figure out how to recreate the synth lead sound in this horror movie theme: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-dWRq1v-x7c
The synth i'm talking about comes in at about 9secs into the video. I hear this sound quite often in old 70's and 80's horror flicks and have really fallen in love with it. Any help would be very appreciated!

p.s. I'm using fl studio, so telling me how to do it in reason etc. won't be much help :)

no one can help at all?

The composer for House By The Cemetary was Water Rizzati. I couldn't find any information on the particular synth he was using, but I did run across this-- an in-depth article on Claudio Simonetti, who's been part of the Italian horror landscape forever (and an awesome synth player!) It mentions some of the synths he used, so maybe it'll help--

http://www.cinema-suicide.com/2008/08/0 ... simonetti/
I am the musical equivalent of a brick...

It tes me he used a moog, but doesn't realy tell me anything beyond that... anyone else out there with more information?

Doesn't sound all that advanced I think.
I would start by making a single saw oscillator tone with a moderately slow low pass filter envelope on it and then add one oscillator an octave up and then another one yet another octave up. You'd need that analog instability or possibly a subtle LFO modulation of the oscillators.

Finally record it to an analog tape, dump it in a lake and let it soak for a while, then fish it up, dry it and play it back :)

Anyway, I think the distinctiveness of the sound comes from the layered octaves. You could probably get away with using only a single oscillator and playing it in octaves directly on the keyboard instead.

My guess at least.

hivefleetmegalon wrote:The composer for House By The Cemetary was Water Rizzati. I couldn't find any information on the particular synth he was using, but I did run across this-- an in-depth article on Claudio Simonetti, who's been part of the Italian horror landscape forever (and an awesome synth player!) It mentions some of the synths he used, so maybe it'll help--

http://www.cinema-suicide.com/2008/08/0 ... simonetti/
Sorry for the OT, but... thanks for this - I'm a prog-head and fan of Goblin so that interview looks really interesting :)
And it is as it is and we take as we find / Always next season's buds on the bough / But I'll never find a better time / Hard though it is to allow / I'll never find a better time / To be alive than now

petermorck wrote:Doesn't sound all that advanced I think.
I would start by making a single saw oscillator tone with a moderately slow low pass filter envelope on it and then add one oscillator an octave up and then another one yet another octave up. You'd need that analog instability or possibly a subtle LFO modulation of the oscillators.

Finally record it to an analog tape, dump it in a lake and let it soak for a while, then fish it up, dry it and play it back :)

Anyway, I think the distinctiveness of the sound comes from the layered octaves. You could probably get away with using only a single oscillator and playing it in octaves directly on the keyboard instead.

My guess at least.
Thanks! That's exactly the kind of help I was looking for :D

Return to “Sound Design”