Microkorg vs. Microkorg XL??

Anything about hardware musical instruments.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Hey Forum!

I am planning on buying my first synthesizer to produce music!!
Here in Brazil the options for available synths are pretty slim, and there is a MicroKorg and MicroKorg XL available for me to purchase where I live.
So, I have been watching countless youtube videos etc. on both synths and I have a question I was hoping could be answered before I buy-

Do both synths have the same patches/sounds?

I ask this because I found a great video showing off nearly all of the XL sounds and there were some great slapbass and funk bass sounds and leads in it. I was wondering if the original Micro has EXACTLY the same presets.

I also like the way the original looks more, but people complain about the complexity of the patch editing system. The XL seems to make it a lot easier, and includes a rear usb connection- It does look a lot uglier. However, the XL is nearly 500 Reis more expensive, (ouch!) But it has a better vocoder!

I'm hoping someone could give some advice on which one to buy, and if anyone knows if both synths have the same patches, that would be great!

thanks in advance! 8)
Look at me, look at me, look at me.

I'm pretty sure that the XL doesn't have the exact same sound engine - it's based on the Radias and R3 where as the plain MicroKorg is based on the older MS2000. Also, the XL has 8 voices vs. 4 on the regular.

Does anyone have experience with owning or using both and could give me their opinion? :?:

SOCIALJUICE wrote:Does anyone have experience with owning or using both and could give me their opinion? :?:
Friend of mine says: No comparison, XL beats regular one from every angel. Go XL!

That said, the radias engine and the really good e-piano models etc. of XL are just a no brainer compared to the regular one. The regular one sounds horrible in comparison.

thanks for that opinion Urs. I guess Ill go wiith the XL even though its 2000 reis! Here goes my hard earned cash!

how would I record the audio from the microkorg Xl to ableton live 8? Do i need extra hardware? I just have a regular built in soundcard and a regular audio in jack.

The choice also depends on the sort of sound you like. The Microkorg harks back to the much grainier analogue sounds and has some pretty gritty bases and scorching leads which cannot be matched on the XL because the filters have a cleaner sound. Listening to the youtube videos will quickly demonstrate the sound differences.

MicroKorg has a much "dirtier" sound, and of course they don't share patches. These two instruments have completely different synth engines.

How do you record the audio? You connect the audio output of your synthesizer to the input of your soundcard (which is probably not very good, but better then nothing). Open your DAW, make an audio track, record enable it, and that's that. Make sure you are actually recording from the "LIne In" and not from the microphone or the stereo mix.

I am also looking at a Korg R3 thats the same price as the MicrXL. Anyone know is the r3 is powerful and good for 80s funk music, e.g. Chromeo and Shalamar? Fat basses and funky leads, etc.?

Again the R3 is a Radias engine synth so the sounds will be cleaner than the Microkorg but the R3 can do a good imitation of the grittier sound of the latter with waveshaping and grain effects. The R3 is generally £100 more than the XL unless you buy a used unit. The R3 is quite a powerful little synth with plenty of depth to it. It would be an ideal first synth and should be capable of imitating 80's sounds quite well. Try and get some hands on experience with one if you can. The presets are not a good example of what the R3 can do - you need to dig deep with the R3 engine to get the best out of it.

thanks for your input guys!

This was some great information! I love how the microkorg sounds :). Any software vst emulate that gritty microkorg sound engine and/or filter?

Return to “Hardware (Instruments and Effects)”