OSC8 - Sputnik - Vote now!

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

OK, here we are again .... time to cast our votes for the best GTG Sputnik only track!

See thread ...
http://www.kvraudio.com/forum/viewtopic ... sc&start=0

We've had a great response once again .... 20 tracks this time! .... and in response to discussion since the last comp ( 19 tracks! ) we have adopted a different voting system. Many felt a single vote poll was inadequate when dealing with a high number of entries, so here's how we're gonna do it this time.

You can award points to 5 tracks in allocations of 10, 5, 3, 2, and 1.
So that's 10 points to your favourite, 5 points to second fave, and so on.
When you have decided on your votes, post in this thread. Please submit all your votes in a single post in a clear manner.....
...something like,
Track title - 10
Track title - 5
Track title - 3
Track title - 2
Track title - 1

Please listen to all the tracks before casting a vote ... I know it takes a while, but its the only fair way to do things ...

So here's how!
@@Go to the online folder .... http://onesynthcomp.4shared.com/

Here you can listen to individual tracks, and read accompanying notes re. what what was used in their making. You can download individual tracks as you wish.

Alternatively, from the same link/folder, you can also download the zipped folders '00 - Sputniktracks1.zip' and '00 - Sputniktracks2.zip'.
This will be a lot quicker than downloading individual tracks, You will then have all the tracks in one place to listen to at your leisure!

You can also access either of 2 playlist pages .... here,
http://www.4shared.com/play/13038764/ab ... hComp.html
...or, courtesy of BrainOvulation ( Thanks B.O. :) ) .... here,
http://www.ilfungomagico.it/sputnik.html

Reviews, however brief, are always welcome, but even if you can only find the time to add a short comment, then please do! ...it keeps the thread alive, and encourages others to listen/vote. I will do a review when I can grab a bit of time to do the job justice.

******Tattiemannies ( stuck record ) guide to voting******

A broad approach I would recommend would be to disregard genre and to some extent, production quality. Its more about how the artist an the chosen synth have produced the range and quality of sounds necessary for the track.
so .... we dont go asking "why no brass?" in a folk tune, anymore than we ask "why no soft pad?" in a punk track....... The idea from the outset is to create a track using only one synth..... and the proof of the pudding is about how that challenge has been met, so it's not about the merits of the synth, nor the merits of the track, it's about how the artist has shown that the limitation of using only one synth, does not necesarily limit their ability to produce a quality track, in a style of their choosing.

So I suppose what we're looking for as a yardstick is the "wow! you did that whole track with one synth and hardly any effects????????" factor ...
.... but thats my take on things .... feel free to apply your own criteria when casting your vote.

** The closing date for votes will be the 22nd October**
....Enjoy the music!------------

Note .... I will tally the votes and post updates as the votes come in. :)
Last edited by tattiemannie on Thu Oct 08, 2009 7:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Well it seems I'm the first one :D
Here we ago:

Someplace Safe (Mac of BIOnighT) - 10
Ice Organ (MA-Simon) - 5
Stairway to Taurus (Yeager) - 3
Sputonix (rsmus7) - 2
Temple Gardens (MA-Simon) - 1

Cheers Max :)

mrblitz000 wrote
Ok, I've got some comments; hopefully every track was listened to. As with the song contest in the Music Cafe section of the forum, it is very difficult to prioritize favorites here. Here is a random smattering of commentary:

Korolev's Idea: The key to this one may be, not so much in the melodies/harmonies, but in the rhythms.

October 4, 1957: Seems to straddle the spacetime continuum between 1957 and today.

Someplace Safe: This one is like several pieces in one, moving between various sonic spaces over its course. It reminds me (in a good way) of a synth interlude in a '70s arena rock show.

Telemetry: Reminds me of a lot of different pop outfits from across the decades. I could hear this playing on a catwalk. Again, would like to hear it with a bigger kickdrum.

Dawn of Infinity: That's a pretty decent sounding kick drum. It reminds me of Depeche Mode or something of that "'80s dance genre."

Alien Sun Set: It would be great to hear this with drums/cymbals brought in from outside Sputnik. It sounds like the makings of a great dance floor piece.

Astroid Minor: Great rhythms, combined with wet jungle sounds; then moving on to a sort of sonic perplexity; and back again. Overall, it seems to speak of a place like Bali; which is interesting considering the work is being done in '12-tone.'

Stairway to Taurus: Very good chord progression.

NII88: Really involved percussion. Minimalist for awhile, then latches onto a harmonic form, then sort of detaches again. YMMV. Very cool.

Approaching to the Unknown: Could be a part of a movie soundtrack. It sounds like the edge of discovery.

ICE ORGAN: Is this Sputnik made for a movie soundtrack or what? This one sounds like 'the vapor lock meets the church organ.' kudos

Sputonix: Excellent timbres. Understated but right there.

If Yer Abel, Yer In: This one is charming. It has a bit of that "'80s casio" sense to it; playing a folksy song from somewhere in the British Isles.

Science: Another one which sounds very "'80s dance" to me. Again, waiting for the heavy drumbeats to kick in.

gtg lolz death: I like this 'chipsong' motif.

Temple Gardens: There's a mist, and lush, flowering greenery.

Sputnik_002 Hyperspace Drifter: This one sounds like a large wheel with colors and flashing lights.

Splashdown: This is another one which could use some outside drums. As it is, these drums are pretty good. This one really takes off!

8th Fret: Something about the tone of that 'lead synth' really gets me. It's sort of like a theremin. This is yet another one where one might expect a big-sounding kick drum to start in at any moment.

-----------------
Anyway, I almost don't want to vote, because all of the best of the above tracks won't fit into the vote(s) allotted. Great job, everyone.

10 Sputonix

05 Splashdown

03 8th Fret

02 Someplace Safe

01 Telemetry

It was hard to decide, but my votes go to the songs that emitted most pictures in my head :-)

SOMEPLACE_SAFE---Mac_of_BIOnighT ( 10 )

Approaching to the Unknown - Opus Diaboli ( 05 )

Stairway to Taurus - OSCVIII - Yeager ( 03 )

Korolev's Idea - Mouxbar ( 02 )

sputonix rsmus7 ( 01 )

Mik.

Hey! we're flying here!!!

And after 3 sets of votes, its looking like this ....

Someplace Safe (Mac of BIOnighT) - 10, 2, 10 = 22
Sputonix (rsmus7) - 2, 10, 1 = 13
Stairway to Taurus (Yeager) - 3, 3 = 6
Ice Organ (MA-Simon) - 5
Splashdown (Tattiemannie) - 5
Approaching to the Unknown (Opus Diaboli) - 5
Eighth Fret (WrigglerUk) - 3
Korolev's Idea (Mouxbar) - 2
Temple Gardens (MA-Simon) - 1
Telemetry (Glynbo) - 1

( Sorry to leave out the voteless off the list at this stage, but its bedtime :hihi: )

Thanks for the votes! :)

1 Korolev's Idea - Mouxbar 10
2 Temple_Gardens_MA_Simon 5
3 Ice_Organ-MA-Simon 3
4 Telemetry - Glynbo 2
5 SOMEPLACE_SAFE---Mac_of_BIOnighT 1

:wink: :-o

Hey, thanks everybody!! :o :-o Wow!

I'm stil trying to decide my own list, it's horribly difficult, all submission are truly good - I feel like when you're a child and there's some dumb neighbor who asks you, "Who do you love more, mommy or daddy?" and then you spend the night awake... :(

And the results from Norfolk are in and presented by our sponsors for tonight - Massey Ferguson and the British Potato Council :D

First Place - Stairway To Taurus - Yeager
Corking production here, lush melancholic track that I can imagine the Pet Shop Boys mincing all over. Stand out entry imho.

Second Place - Approaching to the Unknown - Opus Diaboli
Epic soundtrack stuff that evoked the Underworld work on the film Sunshine.

Third Place - Someplace Safe - Mac of Bionight
Waaaaay too long Mac :lol: Obviously trying to crowd out other entries by taking up everyones time :hihi: A pretty evolving track regardless.

Fourth Place - Telemetry - Glynso
In ways, a little like Yeagers entry and with a good polish would have rated higher.

Fifth Place - Science - Mr Me
A lovely take on the Depeche Mode sound of the mid 80's. Take away a tooth breaking drill type noise in the mix and I'd have been happier.

In other places - congratulations to all who entered. It was interesting to see how people took on Sputnik and, whilst it didn't float my personal boat, this was another sterling effort from all.

On to the Gargoyle :D

Congratulations,
Mouxbar

Cheers for the votes guys, I have to dash off to a gig, but I'll post up a status report tomorrow. :)

1. Glynbo - Telemetry (10 points)
2. Mouxbar - Korolev's Idea (5 points)
3. OSCVIII - Yeager - Stairway 2 Taurus (3 Points)
4. Rsmus7 - Sputonix (2 Points)
5. Mr.Me - Science (1 Point)

Hello everyone from WrigglerUk

1. Science - Mr Me 10 points
2. Telemetry - Glynbo 5 points
3. Korolevs Idea - Mouxbar 3 points
4. Astroid Minor - Jon Boyd 2 points
5. Approaching the Unknown - Opus Diaboli 1 point

That concludes the voting for WrigglerUk, back to you in the studio... :-)

Ice Organ / MA-Simon - 10pts
science / mr.me - 5pts
NII-88 / Gamma-ut - 3pts
sputonix / rsmus7 - 2pts
Korolev's Idea / Mouxbar - 1pt
wrongtastic, baby
tucson's number one gothic rock band since 1995

slugfest99 wrote:Obviously trying to crowd out other entries by taking up everyones time
Damn, you got me... :wink: Actually I was thinking of submitting a three-day track for the next competition, for precisely that reason :D :D Thanks for the vote! :)

Return to “Instruments”