rock drums

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Anyone know of a good VST that has a good soundbank to begin with that can take the place of a drummer on record? Our band has everything except a drummer and we're looking to sample our rhythm line for the time being. Cubase is our primary DAW.

We're looking for a VST that has good replication of an acoustic sound environment (the sound of mic-ing, airspace) and good solid preset drum sounds. Some that come to mind are Kontakt (not exactly what we need), BFD (getting much warmer in the right direction), etc.

The element that is often missing is the continuity that you hear in a genuine drum recording, how the percussive sounds seem to breathe and flow with one another (as in a sampled breakbeat) instead of sounding like separate, static parts.

Any recommendations?

depends on how powerfull your cpu is
addictive drums will run on almost anything
BFD needs a powerfull computer
mixosaurus seems a tad huge, but uses kontakt as a sound engine

CPU is not a limitation. We're running a platform with dual AMD quad core.

Excellent recommendations so far. Any others?

Toontrack's Superior Drummer.

Superior Drummer 2 perhaps? The library it ships with is very rock oriented, with plenty of room mic's to mess with.

:Edit: I see someone else thought the same thing while I was posting. ^^
Last edited by Cyrosis on Wed Oct 14, 2009 8:47 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Jamstix. Great at creating fills.

I've checked out demo recordings of all these VSTs so far, and they sound fantastic. We do many styles ranging from general hard rock to progressive instrumental material.

If anybody knows of any others, keep them coming.

Steven Slate Drums!

http://www.stevenslatedrums.com/

They use Kontakt (it comes with Kontakt Player), and they sound great...perfect for what you are looking for!

Ocean Way Drums, Mixosaurus, and Steven Slate Drums, are probably the three most brought up for rock, other than Superior Drummer and BFD.

Addictive Drums! Awesome for rock and metal!

Drumcore 3 or Kitcore 2

Tons of kits, easy programming, and a very complete library of grooves.

Not to mention that Drumcore 3 also has an extensive loop library using some great talent.

-B
Berfab
So many plugins, so little time...

To "humanize" your drum tracks the best option is Jamstix controlling the plugin whose sound you like most. Jamstix simulates the behavior of real drummers and can host another plugin. It comes with it's own kits too.

http://www.rayzoon.com/index.html

For rock, you have the options already mentioned and two big libraries that work inside Kontakt:

- Ocean Way Drums (multi mic, non processed and thus ready for you to shape your own sound).

http://www.oceanwaydrums.net/

- Steven Slate Drums (processed in orther to mimic the sound of the main rock bands in the world).

http://www.stevenslatedrums.com/

You can't go wrong with any of those, they are (along with what the others have mentioned before) the very best in the market. It is just a matter of taste.

jamstix2 AND Superior 2 is my weapon of choice :D
If I go insane, please don't put your wires in my brain

I'd get Steven Slate Drums and a copy of Toontrack EziPlayer Pro and a load of GrooveMonkee midis. That is the best rock sound I have.

Addictive Drums is my most used. It is the easiest to use and sounds great. Quality effects and there is a midi player built in.

I feel BFD2 is potentially the most powerful of all, although there is probably a lot of work to get what you want. Especially learning how to use it. but BFD2 has it all. Plus there are many expansion packs. I've had it for ages and have not used it at all but now that I have a Quadcore I feel it may start to get some serious use.
Intel Core i7 8700K, 16gb, Windows 10 Pro, Focusrite Scarlet 6i6

EZDrummer, Jamsticks2 and Addictive Drums for the acoustic stuff and several tools for the gaga.
"It dreamed itself along"

Return to “Instruments”