whats instruments? ( my list)

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

ok Heres my dilemma i plan on purchasing some instruments to go with cubase 5 and studio one i havent quite finalized my options yet but here are the top vst's that i been considering
1.Guru
2.Audiorelism drum machine
3.nexus
4.Purity
5.Albino
6.Battery 3
7.Gladiator
8.Fm8
9.B4 II
10.Korg Legacy
11.Rob Papen Blue
12.Sonik Synth 2
13.sampletank
14.Kore 2
15 Rapture

whats the main difference between Kontakt and reaktor? the look pretty much the same
can someone narrow the list down a little because i know some the list does the same as another one but these are the ones thats most talked about around the net

Kontakt is a sampler and Reaktor is an environment used to build instruments.

Kontakt is a sample player and mangler, Reaktor is whatever you make it to be - a synth, an effect unit, MIDI processor, whatever.

Don't buy B4-II because it's discontinued. Get GSi VB3 instead, as it is much better.

so kontakt,sonik synth 2, and sampletank are all samplers?

DragonSagoth wrote: Don't buy B4-II because it's discontinued. Get GSi VB3 instead, as it is much better.
Does VB3 sound better than B4-II because it isn't discontinued? So what if B4-II is discontinued, you can still install/use can't you?

sonik synth and sampletank are romplers..

kontakt is a sampler.

seems liek you got more researching to do, but out of that list. i really like albino. it has been out for a while but it is still one of my favorite plugins to use. great presets and a great engine if you want to create your own sounds that you can layer as well.

i have played around with NI B4, and it was quite f?ckin cool ;]

Nexus? hm.. wasn't that a big sample-based thing? ;]
It doesn't matter how it sounds..
..as long as it has BASS and it's LOUD!

irc.libera.chat >>> #kvr

Don't go buying stuff just cos it's being talked about on the internet. Find out what you actually NEED and buy that. You can't decide what's right for you by just looking at pictures of stuff. Do some research.

OP: Do you like synth programming. Is it a part of your music making Or do you prefer to compose with ready made sounds? Would you bother to learn a very tricky synth, or would you just play the presets?

Many of the synths on the list are sort of universal, and doesn't really suggest a genre or sound ideal.

For example, if you like synth programming and make some kind of modern electronica, I'd swap out Nexus for Helix.

(Also I'd swap out Purity for it's older sibling, Ravity(s). I have both but use Ravity a lot more. Purity has more features and stuff, but for some reason I can't quite pin down I get better sounds out of Ravity.)

1 - what style of music are you planning on making?
2 - get the demo where possible and try things for yourself.
Good ol' fashioned common sense advice really.

Count_fuzzball wrote:
DragonSagoth wrote: Don't buy B4-II because it's discontinued. Get GSi VB3 instead, as it is much better.
Does VB3 sound better than B4-II because it isn't discontinued? So what if B4-II is discontinued, you can still install/use can't you?

No. Simply it sounds better, particularly the distortion and Leslie simulation. Those two are a joke on B4-II.

Well, I can tell you what I use from that list:

1. SampleTank and Sonik Synth. These are very solid. They are basically Romplers; the samples are small, but very playable. The effects are very nice too. Huge selection of vintage synth sounds is a bonus.

2. B4 II is great, but I'm not sure if you can still get it. If you really need Hammond sounds this is good (but maybe not a perfect emulation), and it does other organ types too. VB3 is also an option.

3. I don't use Albino, but Papen's Predator is an excellent instrument. Very musical, and has lots of presets too, that you can easily tweak.

4. Audiorealism drum machine -- if you really want Roland clones, this does everything (and you can mix and match the sounds from different drum machines). To my ear, they sound pretty convincing. The interface is easy to figure out. Definitely worth it.

5. Reaktor. This is simply amazing. But if you don't know exactly what it does and the difference between this and Kontakt, I would not recommend it.

my music of choice is hip hop and r&b i asked a similar question on another forum about vst's for hip/hop but all i got was a lot of smart azz replies

Rock Hardbuns wrote:OP: Do you like synth programming. Is it a part of your music making Or do you prefer to compose with ready made sounds? Would you bother to learn a very tricky synth, or would you just play the presets?

Many of the synths on the list are sort of universal, and doesn't really suggest a genre or sound ideal.

For example, if you like synth programming and make some kind of modern electronica, I'd swap out Nexus for Helix.

(Also I'd swap out Purity for it's older sibling, Ravity(s). I have both but use Ravity a lot more. Purity has more features and stuff, but for some reason I can't quite pin down I get better sounds out of Ravity.)
im just starting out so it really dosent matter but i wouldnt mind playing around with a synth to get the sound i want. i like learning new things but i wouldnt mind presets from time to time

hey for hip hop/r&b get cobalt and the hip hop bank.

cobalt is only $25.00 and the hip hop bank is only $3.99. for your genre, some good sounds for very cheap.

for samples go for goldbaby and the mpc stuff.

you might like flstudio for building beats.

Return to “Instruments”