I hate fancy GUIs

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

elxicano wrote:I still don't know what was said in the post with the pic of the girls... I kept getting distracted.
He was saying something?!?

lame I know...
GUI designers a resource list of artists: http://sukaudio.blogspot.com/

I love me some fancy gui's :love:

MaxSynths wrote:Image
Which synth is this?

(and why are there no knobs at the places where they are supposed to be?!) :wink:
“No matter how paranoid or conspiracy-minded you are, what the government is actually doing is worse than you imagine.” ~ William Blum

tattiemannie wrote:Yuck! ... gimme a rotten plank of wood ripped from an old shed, with a few knobs stuck on with chewing gum anyday!

If all GUIs were like synthedit default blue, we would be free of distraction and use our ears to determine whether a vst was any good or not!
So how do you rate the following GUI, is it simple yet functional enough ?

Works at KV331 Audio
SynthMaster voted #1 in MusicRadar's "Best Synth of 2019" poll
SynthMaster One voted #4 in MusicRadar's "Best Synth of 2019" poll

sys2074 wrote:
Which synth is this?

(and why are there no knobs at the places where they are supposed to be?!) :wink:
The boing-pink plug? Yeah, just ordered one :hihi:

kv331 wrote:Image
Nice GUI.
Simple and effective.
Not sure I would date it if it turned into a girl though...
But as a synth it looks nice : clear, everything in its right place, and last but no least, not much contrast.
Contrast can make a UI overly flashy and hard to read.
Maybe it could benefit from a bit more color? but I can't tell where...
maybe the selected items in lists?
Or making left and top main zones very lightly colored (blue-ish greys)?

sys2074 wrote:
Which synth is this?

I see four tweakable things. They must be ADSR.
So where do I plug in my mono unbalanced input?

looking at those girls doesn't give me rotten wood ...
whiteLABEL - now set free : whiteLABEL ||

A good GUI, IMO, doesn't have to look like hardware. This one doesn't, still it's a 'fancy' one: Image

I think it's a very good GUI because everything is well placed, and it's very easy to 'read' and figure out. It's completly 'idiot proof' :hihi: .

Just an example.
Eventually something intelligent will appear written here. Watch this space.

kv331 wrote:So how do you rate the following GUI, is it simple yet functional enough ?
It's haunting... it's been inflationary displayed anywhere I go... :hihi:

On a serious note, I'd make it a bit bigger squeeze all oscs and filters on a single page. Too many tabs are a *massive* mistake (no pun intended) IMHO, no matter how tidy the single tab would be.

#---

Generally speaking and back on topic, one has to distinguish *style* and *usability*. Both can get in the way of each other. One similarly has to distinguish first impression from routine use. Again both can get in the way of each other.

The ideal gui looks eye catching enough to generate some sales while at the same time it is rewarding enough to keep the musician happy in the months thereafter. This also depends on the actual quality of the plugin of course, but the interface plays a big role in this.

What I mean with this is, some uis may be very easy to use at the beginning ("everything is explained nicely") but then all the "ease" gets on the users nerves once I sussed out how the damn thing works. In that case a slightly steeper learning curve might lead to a ui that can be operated faster and more intutive in the long term. My favourite example being Ensoniq samplers which were tedious to use as a beginner, but once one knew the Mode->Level-> Section sequence of buttons they were as quickly operated as anything.

;) Urs

Mokafix wrote:
kv331 wrote:Image
Nice GUI.
Simple and effective.
Not sure I would date it if it turned into a girl though...
But as a synth it looks nice : clear, everything in its right place, and last but no least, not much contrast.
Contrast can make a UI overly flashy and hard to read.
Maybe it could benefit from a bit more color? but I can't tell where...
maybe the selected items in lists?
Or making left and top main zones very lightly colored (blue-ish greys)?
The contrast on the large empty blocks of gray and white work the eyes needlessly,
and then a lack of contrast on the light gray text against darker gray background,
again makes the eyes to work too hard. The layout may be OK, but I would not consider it
for purchase, based on current visual ergonomics.
Cheers

glokraw wrote: The contrast on the large empty blocks of gray and white work the eyes needlessly,
and then a lack of contrast on the light gray text against darker gray background,
again makes the eyes to work too hard. The layout may be OK, but I would not consider it
for purchase, based on current visual ergonomics.
Cheers
Great feedback, thank you! So help us design our next skin (just give us ideas I mean for the coloring) and win a free license from us :D

For those of you who havent heard yet: SynthMaster 2.0 comes with a "Skin/Interface Editor" with which users can customize the GUI as they wish.
Last edited by kv331 on Tue Nov 03, 2009 1:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Works at KV331 Audio
SynthMaster voted #1 in MusicRadar's "Best Synth of 2019" poll
SynthMaster One voted #4 in MusicRadar's "Best Synth of 2019" poll

I Think guis should be kind of fancy. Couse i have to look at them for long times. I have to work with them so why not making the working more fun and compfotable by looking at something "cool". If i wan't to see boring greyness, i would't do music. Music is colourfull! (i think)

MA-Simon wrote:I Think guis should be kind of fancy. Couse i have to look at them for long times. I have to work with them so why not making the working more fun and compfotable by looking at something "cool". If i wan't to see boring greyness, i would't do music. Music is colourfull! (i think)
"Music is colorful" :
as you go in that direction and as it seems this thread van be used to show personal stuff, here is some GUIs I did lately for upcoming products.
I thought that when a plugin is simple enough, why not make it look really different.
Then to me the coolest visuals related to music being LP/CD covers, adn some of the best covers being from bluenote records, i took inspiration there to make some really fancy UIs :
In both UIs, when you turn/move a knob/switch, it moves in any image where it is displayed.
Those are examples of very simple plugins that have few controls and simple workflow; No much need to guide the user.

It makes it pleasant to use to me, though I know these UIs have a strong character and might not please anyone.

Return to “Instruments”