Midi Keyboard Velocity Test

Anything about hardware musical instruments.
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Well, AD means analogue to digital. I can't see anything basically analogue in a keybed scanner electronics - there isn't - it's pure digital from the beginning, just a pair of switches.

Analogue in general sense points to something continuous, not necessarily voltage. But even if you think of metered timing (that's what it usually ends up to be) there isn't anything analogue too, it's all happening in the digital domain. Just the pots, faders, wheels and things like that need AD. Even here there are alternatives with digital encoders - and before you ask, there aren't just incremental encoders, there are such encoding absolute values too, even if these are preferably used in industrial applications.

Finally for organs one does not need velocity at all... That's indeed not the #1 choice to make velocity accuracy a topic. :wink:
Best regards, TiUser
...and keep on jamming...

Thank you TiUser for these useful reminders :)

Incidentally: around 1975 :roll: , I designed the first marketed guitar synthesizer (Digitone ORS GM 201). It used a (patented) digital "period-meter" to encode and memorize the period of (analog) guitar signals... :wink:

Alain

This game seems quite useless, but rather funny, there you go, the results from brand new Alesis Q49, pretty cheap keyboard.

I'm pretty sure I can't hit any more whites, I have been trying long enough. Middle range filled up quickly, low range I had to try to shoot down, remaining blanks are invincible and seem to form a pattern.

I agree, the basic test pushing any keys for a while is pretty useless. It just shows some extreme allover problems. It doesn't show anything about response of each key - unless you hit all keys individually. It also does tell nothing about repetition accuracy of individual keys.
Best regards, TiUser
...and keep on jamming...

Edirol PCR800. Not that good.I banged for about 7 minutes.

Found on the net.

CME UF8 Keyboard

Yamaha BC3 Breath Controller & Midi Solutions Breath Controller (BC3 to Midi Converter)

Doepfer R2M Ribbon Controller

Here's my Akai MPK61 after a few minutes of messing around. It's pretty easy in the beginning but as the gaps get fewer and fewer, it requires more patience and precision to fill them in.

I was later able to fill in the gaps by experimenting with the various velocity curves like Log and Exp, but I don't think any one curve makes all values available. Linear gets close though as you can see in the picture.
Hardware: Akai MPK61, MFB-Synth II, Roland JX-8P, Virus TI Snow, KORG MS2000R, Roland SH-01
Favorite software: Sylenth1, Synth1, Messiah, ME80, OPX-Pro II, Zebra 2, Diva, Reason, Studio One V2 Pro

here come the VMK 188 plus velos ::

http://img832.imageshack.us/i/screensho ... at112.png/

sorry for the external img..cant get to it embed it here ...

remure wrote:here come the VMK 188 plus velos ::

http://img832.imageshack.us/i/screensho ... at112.png/

sorry for the external img..cant get to it embed it here ...
Thank you, remure!

Hey folks, check your controllers and post you results!

My E-MU Xboard 25, Velocity curve 1 (linear), MIDI Minimum Velocity 1.

I'm impressed I was able to get all the notes. Took a while of playing on different keys to get them.

Interesting tool you got there. Just don't use it with the old DX7 as a controller. 0-127 wasn't standard back then but only 1-100 :lol:

I have to try this on my Kurzweil PC3x too though - it shouldn't have a problem nailing this test :wink:

i wrote a max for live instrument inspired on the velocity checker cozz im on a mac ...

here are the velos for the AKAI MPK 88 the keys velos first ::

and here the pad velos of the akai ::

hope this helps ...

i found the akai mpk 88 very plastic@all ...have numa nano for testing , will post the velos later ...

CME UF60 Classic
i changed the VCurve to Linear and it was easier to cover the lower range
It doesn't matter how it sounds..
..as long as it has BASS and it's LOUD!

irc.libera.chat >>> #kvr

remure wrote:i wrote a max for live instrument inspired on the velocity checker cozz im on a mac ...

here are the velos for the AKAI MPK 88 the keys velos first ::

and here the pad velos of the akai ::

hope this helps ...

i found the akai mpk 88 very plastic@all ...have numa nano for testing , will post the velos later ...
oh man ...here again::

keys ::

pads::

Here is a Casio Privia 320, 3 years old, test. I could hit all them with some patience. Appear to be that treble notes are configured in a diffrent way than the bass ones, at least is more easy to hit certain velocityes with ones or others.

Return to “Hardware (Instruments and Effects)”