sfz Open Source Drum Kit Project: 600 MB download from Real Music Media

Sampler and Sampling discussion (techniques, tips and tricks, etc.)
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

I have gotten sick of writing html and such, so I have decided to make this a small kvr project to start with.

This is a complete set of drum samples, with a couple of partial sfz mappings: a hihat and a kick drum. The samples and the mappings are completely in the public domain.

REPEAT: The samples and the mappings are completely in the public domain.

The hihat is mapped more or less to GM spec, with MIDI note 42=closed, note 44=foot, note 46=half open and note 49=open. This pattern is also repeated 2 octaves higher (MIDI notes 66, 68, 70 and 73).

The kick is also mapped to GM spec (MIDI note 36 duplicated 2 octaves higher at MIDI note 60).

The idea is that people download the drum kit, and write their own sfz mappings for the separate components, and post them here. People can put the sfz files online somplace (on their own site or box.net or wherever), or just post the code here, like so (kick drum mapping)

Code: Select all

<group> volume=3 ampeg_release=.75 ampeg_hold=1
<region> key=36 lovel=1 hivel=6 sample=kicks\kick_1.wav 
<region> key=36 lovel=7 hivel=12 sample=kicks\kick_2.wav
<region> key=36 lovel=13 hivel=18 sample=kicks\kick_3.wav
<region> key=36 lovel=19 hivel=24 sample=kicks\kick_4.wav
<region> key=36 lovel=25 hivel=30 sample=kicks\kick_5.wav
<region> key=36 lovel=31 hivel=36 sample=kicks\kick_6.wav
<region> key=36 lovel=37 hivel=42 sample=kicks\kick_7.wav
<region> key=36 lovel=43 hivel=48 sample=kicks\kick_8.wav
<region> key=36 lovel=49 hivel=54 sample=kicks\kick_9.wav
<region> key=36 lovel=55 hivel=60 sample=kicks\kick_10.wav
<region> key=36 lovel=61 hivel=66 sample=kicks\kick_11.wav
<region> key=36 lovel=67 hivel=72 sample=kicks\kick_12.wav
<region> key=36 lovel=73 hivel=78 sample=kicks\kick_13.wav
<region> key=36 lovel=79 hivel=84 sample=kicks\kick_14.wav
<region> key=36 lovel=85 hivel=90 sample=kicks\kick_15.wav
<region> key=36 lovel=91 hivel=98 sample=kicks\kick_16.wav
<region> key=36 lovel=99 hivel=109 sample=kicks\kick_17.wav
<region> key=36 lovel=110 hivel=120 sample=kicks\kick_18.wav
<region> key=36 lovel=121 hivel=123 sample=kicks\kick_19.wav
<region> key=36 lovel=124 hivel=125 sample=kicks\kick_20.wav
<region> key=36 lovel=126 hivel=127 seq_length=2 seq_position=1 sample=kicks\kick_21.wav
<region> key=36 lovel=126 hivel=127 seq_length=2 seq_position=2 sample=kicks\kick_22.wav

<region> key=60 lovel=1 hivel=6 sample=kicks\kick_1.wav 
<region> key=60 lovel=7 hivel=12 sample=kicks\kick_2.wav
<region> key=60 lovel=13 hivel=18 sample=kicks\kick_3.wav
<region> key=60 lovel=19 hivel=24 sample=kicks\kick_4.wav
<region> key=60 lovel=25 hivel=30 sample=kicks\kick_5.wav
<region> key=60 lovel=31 hivel=36 sample=kicks\kick_6.wav
<region> key=60 lovel=37 hivel=42 sample=kicks\kick_7.wav
<region> key=60 lovel=43 hivel=48 sample=kicks\kick_8.wav
<region> key=60 lovel=49 hivel=54 sample=kicks\kick_9.wav
<region> key=60 lovel=55 hivel=60 sample=kicks\kick_10.wav
<region> key=60 lovel=61 hivel=66 sample=kicks\kick_11.wav
<region> key=60 lovel=67 hivel=72 sample=kicks\kick_12.wav
<region> key=60 lovel=73 hivel=78 sample=kicks\kick_13.wav
<region> key=60 lovel=79 hivel=84 sample=kicks\kick_14.wav
<region> key=60 lovel=85 hivel=90 sample=kicks\kick_15.wav
<region> key=60 lovel=91 hivel=98 sample=kicks\kick_16.wav
<region> key=60 lovel=99 hivel=109 sample=kicks\kick_17.wav
<region> key=60 lovel=110 hivel=120 sample=kicks\kick_18.wav
<region> key=60 lovel=121 hivel=123 sample=kicks\kick_19.wav
<region> key=60 lovel=124 hivel=125 sample=kicks\kick_20.wav
<region> key=60 lovel=126 hivel=127 seq_length=2 seq_position=1 sample=kicks\kick_21.wav
<region> key=60 lovel=126 hivel=127 seq_length=2 seq_position=2 sample=kicks\kick_22.wav 
Ideally people would explain their mapping decisions and collaborate with each other to make things work.

People who are interested but not up on their sfz code writing can look things up here or here.

If people start putting some mappings up in the next week or so, I will leave everything online. If I just get a million downloads and no code, I will probably take it offline until I can figure out something else.

In any case, have at it.

I'm always happy to host sfz files, particularly kits. Samples... Mmm, I'd have to see how the bandwidth goes but I reckon it should be okay.

Looks like fun!

Thanks, I'll definitely want to check em out. That "The Real Snare" set was just awesome.
The only site for experimental amp sim freeware & MIDI FX: http://runbeerrun.blogspot.com
https://m.youtube.com/channel/UCprNcvVH6aPTehLv8J5xokA -Youtube jams

first off, i wanted to personally thank you for the sample packs you made free on real media music....ive THOUROUGHLY enjoyed them...the 60s grooves, and bass libraries, are the ideal types of samples for my tastes...and that snare kit, was great...i loved it...

as far this project, only sfz??? what if i were to make kits and mappings for other formats?

EDIT: i just started downloading this, and its going at 20-30 kb/s....any chance of this being uploaded to www.megaupload.com or something??? 3-4 hours for 480 MB is a long time...id really like to participate in this....but i dont know if i have the time to download a file for that long...my internet use is limited..

hmmm.. very promising idea John.. I'll see what I can do

scratch that megaupload thing...i just left my laptop at my neighbors and le it download..

LOOPxDIGGA wrote:scratch that megaupload thing...i just left my laptop at my neighbors and le it download..
Just so people know, the problem appears to have been temporary. I just tried it and was getting a speed of over 500 kbps.

Thanks all.

herodotus wrote:
LOOPxDIGGA wrote:scratch that megaupload thing...i just left my laptop at my neighbors and le it download..
Just so people know, the problem appears to have been temporary. I just tried it and was getting a speed of over 500 kbps.

Thanks all.
ha! just my luck...download at 40kbps all that time then BAM!!! 500 out of nowhere...

anyway, are you only interested in sfz??? i dont have an issue with that...just wondering if i could create some other patches for your project..

Count me in. Downloading it now, and I am looking forward to hear the kit. I have been working on some custom mappings of the GSCW drumkit, and this sounds like fun. I strongly agree that programming sfz is a lot more thrills than doing html.:)

You can get SFZs for GSCW from my website if it'll help, Baard.

Wow! And this is really public domain? If so, I could, for example, make some drum loops ("fake" breakbeats) & release it for free on the net? I think this is a first, a full acoustic drum kit public domain, not just free!

LOOPxDIGGA wrote:

anyway, are you only interested in sfz??? i dont have an issue with that...just wondering if i could create some other patches for your project..
Absolutely.

To reiterate, these drum samples are completely public domain. I am giving up my intellectual property rights to them.

You can do whatever you want to do with them. Hell, you could even add your own mappings and sell them if you wanted. I might think that was kind of, well...iffy, but I wouldn't try to stop it.

The 'open source' sfz idea is simply to encourage people to learn and use this flexible open format that comes with its own free player. I also felt that it would encourage the most people to get involved. It makes little sense to have an open source project for a sample player that costs 500 dollars to buy.

Eventually I will be putting a page up on the site, and maybe even a message board. But like I said, I am sick of writing html and css. I have done a lot of work on our own site lately, along with a ton of work for other people, some of it for pay, some as a favor to friends. In any case, I need a break from it.

Is this perhaps an opportunity to 'revive interest' in the SFZ format?
An SFZ creation/editing application with a friendly GUI might win over the non-scripting types and result in a thriving community of sample swappers.
Could even end up as a poor man's kontakt.
Second Star On The Right, And Straight On 'till Morning

Here is my first code, I had to start of with something easy, so I did the Ride_mid_in.

Velocity is linear up until the three last steps, and ampeg_release was set to match the length of the longest sample.

Some kind of documentation would be nice. Are the samples with multiple digits (for instance 0-10_2) in their names meant as alternate takes for round robin?

Code: Select all

See page 2 of this thread for the complete ride cymbal
Last edited by Baard on Fri Feb 05, 2010 3:42 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Return to “Samplers, Sampling & Sample Libraries”