Mixing/Arranging Sugestions Welcome-Mello Track

Share your music, collaborate, and partake in monthly music contests.
RELATED
PRODUCTS

The KVR community has been a big help to me in the past.

I'm not sure how to classify this?

If you would give me some thoughts on this work in progress I'd appreciate it.

http://www.opendrive.com/files/6052779_ ... mpitus.mp3

Pretty cool chill song! I'm not sure what I would classify it, other than electronica..sort of has some jazz-ness to it as well. Great arrangement though, it flows nicely, and it has that great atmosphere that can really transport you when you listen to it.

-Jeff

Hello,
PAT METHENY is here ! ;) Yes, it's a beautiful track ! I like it very much ! It's really pleasant. Bravo Chuck ! I keep it on my HDD ! Fabulous. Thank you. Wich licence have you got to protect this work ? Don't worry, I have no bad intentions. My music is on Creative Commons Licence.
About chiptune, 8-bit music, chipmusic, audio tracking, trackers, pixel art, VST AU 8-bit plugins...
http://woolyss.com/chipmusic.php

Ethno-dub & groove :
http://www.myspace.com/jerrycoox

First, I really like what your doing with this track. Definitely a nice vibe. If I were to change anything it might be the mix. The lush delays combined with the reverb doesn't let the guitar come through in certain parts. And I think the guitar could be eq'ed a bit differently to help it stand out a bit more. Overall I really like the tune. Got any more? :)

Hey, really nice tune here... Sorta contemporary new age jazzy... Max Lasser's Arc or whatever. I agree on the guitar EQ... it's too much bottom end and low mids... needs some high-mid and top end clarity. I think a lot of the mud from the guitar might be coming from the verb, which could be filtered. The main guitar thing could use some EQ tweaks anyway to make it pop more. The cymbal crashes in the beginning are kinda different, but could be lower... like you can feel something's coming, but you don't need to make it so obvious... you could build those crashes over time. The main theme is pretty cool. My only gripe is the funky snare sound throughout... first, I think it's a bit too loud... second I like some of the percussive aspects of the snare sound, but I think you could do some cooler stuff with more traditional percussion like maybe some kalimba, conga, etc. underneath and a more subdued snare without so much crazy delay stuff bouncing around. I think an acoustic percussive background and an electro drum sound layered on top could be an interesting mix... Anyway, just my 2 cents. Overall I really like this tune!

Superb stuff, no idea what to call it. Very smooth, jazzy & funky. :tu:
Rekkerd.org the latest news on audio plugins, sample libraries & virtual instruments, synth presets & more.
Don't click here if you can't control yourself!

gorgeous tuneage. I think you've done really well with the arrangement, although I'm not keen on the cymbal in the intro. Thanks for a lovely free-flowing, organic, drifty, jazzy guitar trip :-)

cool jazzy mood... beatiful melody lines and good arrangement... sounds nice..
great work

Awesome tunes again Chuck. I always end up downloading your stuff, and it goes in the regular listening rotation. I'd like to see some more creative funky electro glitch type stuff you've done in your previous albums. I love the jazzy organic jam element. You have got a nice original style. "Lost In Thought" seems like it could be a Weather Channel local forecast instrumental jam, that's a complement since the guy who picks that music plays some cool funky jazzy elctronic stuff sometimes.

Hey everyone, if you like his stuff, he has a few albums you can download. And if you like this kind of style, check out bands like Sound Tribe Sector 9 (aka STS9), Lotus, Tortoise, The New Deal, Lake Trout, Signal Path.

I have listened to one of your albums quite a bit in my car, "Feel Your Mortality".

Hey Chuck, Lotus is coming to Royal Oak Music Theatre in a few weeks. If you don't know who they are, check them out. I just got into them a few months ago myself. "Hammerstrike" is an awesome album and they have some live shows available. Thurs Feb 25, $15. I'll be there. I also highly recommend trying to see Sound Tribe Sector 9 (STS9) if they ever come to the Detroit area again in the near future.

Thanks to everyone for your support-it means a lot to me (do I need to get a life or what?).

Due to some of your suggestions I'm going to ditch the drums and try something different. Perhaps percussion instruments instead. I'm almost never Happy with my drums & bass-and I see this as an opportunity to grow.

Now that I'm listening to it a bit more subjectively I'm hearing that when the drums come in it sorta looses something-too rigid?

Heckxx wrote:Pretty cool chill song! I'm not sure what I would classify it, other than electronica..sort of has some jazz-ness to it as well. Great arrangement though, it flows nicely, and it has that great atmosphere that can really transport you when you listen to it.

-Jeff
Salutations to you Jeff!!!

jikoO wrote:Hello,
PAT METHENY is here ! ;) Yes, it's a beautiful track ! I like it very much ! It's really pleasant. Bravo Chuck ! I keep it on my HDD ! Fabulous. Thank you. Wich licence have you got to protect this work ? Don't worry, I have no bad intentions. My music is on Creative Commons Licence.

Wasup Jerry?

Pat Metheny is a GOD-I'm not worthy but thank you!

Have you seen this?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9VymAn8QJNQ

Absolutely amazing!

Your support means means s lot to me!

UncleAge wrote:First, I really like what your doing with this track. Definitely a nice vibe. If I were to change anything it might be the mix. The lush delays combined with the reverb doesn't let the guitar come through in certain parts. And I think the guitar could be eq'ed a bit differently to help it stand out a bit more. Overall I really like the tune. Got any more? :)
Hello UncleAge.

These critiques really are a help to me. Sometimes it's hard to be subjective of our own beloved creations isn't it? I'm in the process of discovering the power of eq only now. I'm finding that removing the low end to most all instruments but bass has been helpful. How would you eq the guitar? Boost? Cut? I'm eager to learn-thank you!!!

Here are other recent posts per your request?
http://www.kvraudio.com/forum/viewtopic ... sc&start=0
http://www.kvraudio.com/forum/viewtopic ... 99#3953499

kbaccki wrote:Hey, really nice tune here... Sorta contemporary new age jazzy... Max Lasser's Arc or whatever. I agree on the guitar EQ... it's too much bottom end and low mids... needs some high-mid and top end clarity. I think a lot of the mud from the guitar might be coming from the verb, which could be filtered. The main guitar thing could use some EQ tweaks anyway to make it pop more. The cymbal crashes in the beginning are kinda different, but could be lower... like you can feel something's coming, but you don't need to make it so obvious... you could build those crashes over time. The main theme is pretty cool. My only gripe is the funky snare sound throughout... first, I think it's a bit too loud... second I like some of the percussive aspects of the snare sound, but I think you could do some cooler stuff with more traditional percussion like maybe some kalimba, conga, etc. underneath and a more subdued snare without so much crazy delay stuff bouncing around. I think an acoustic percussive background and an electro drum sound layered on top could be an interesting mix... Anyway, just my 2 cents. Overall I really like this tune!
kbaccki:

Again-great suggestions-I will apply all of them. When you say filter the reverb-what does that mean? The drums are from a recent free Ableton Live Pack by JK Sawka-a Drum & Bass drummer-kinda bazaar of me to use that on this? So yeas I'm going to get rid of the drums even though I put a lot of work in to them. I like the idea of using percussion. One thing I strive to do with my music is to give it a modern flare-I don't want to sound vanilla?

core wrote:Superb stuff, no idea what to call it. Very smooth, jazzy & funky. :tu:

Yeah Ronnie! Thank you so much for your support!

sazb30 wrote:gorgeous tuneage. I think you've done really well with the arrangement, although I'm not keen on the cymbal in the intro. Thanks for a lovely free-flowing, organic, drifty, jazzy guitar trip :-)
Thank you sazb30 for taking the time to post! The cybal on the intro is HISTORY!

markkuja wrote:cool jazzy mood... beatiful melody lines and good arrangement... sounds nice..
great work
markkuja-thank you!

metalifuxx wrote:Awesome tunes again Chuck. I always end up downloading your stuff, and it goes in the regular listening rotation. I'd like to see some more creative funky electro glitch type stuff you've done in your previous albums. I love the jazzy organic jam element. You have got a nice original style. "Lost In Thought" seems like it could be a Weather Channel local forecast instrumental jam, that's a complement since the guy who picks that music plays some cool funky jazzy elctronic stuff sometimes.

Hey everyone, if you like his stuff, he has a few albums you can download. And if you like this kind of style, check out bands like Sound Tribe Sector 9 (aka STS9), Lotus, Tortoise, The New Deal, Lake Trout, Signal Path.

I have listened to one of your albums quite a bit in my car, "Feel Your Mortality".

Hey Chuck, Lotus is coming to Royal Oak Music Theatre in a few weeks. If you don't know who they are, check them out. I just got into them a few months ago myself. "Hammerstrike" is an awesome album and they have some live shows available. Thurs Feb 25, $15. I'll be there. I also highly recommend trying to see Sound Tribe Sector 9 (STS9) if they ever come to the Detroit area again in the near future.
Wow! Your enthusiasim is really inspiring. I know I sound redundant but I so appreciate it. Like I said earlier I probably need to get a life! I'll PM you and we can discuss the above!

On an off note regarding the Detroit music scene. I'm a Realtor-I sell homes for a living. I just picked up a client named Mike Alonso that plays drums for the band Electric Six http://www.myspace.com/electricsixmusic

I really Like where there coming from.

Over & out for now.

This is very soothing. As far as mixing goes: nice warm strings, wet guitar works well. I'd suggest smoothing out the drums, seems a little choppy coming in. The snare delays do not work for me. At parts the hat seems in ping-pong delay and draws attention from the guitar. Bass sound is excellent. Overall, this is a fine listen. Lots of contrast, excellent melodic content, anticipation. Keep up the great work!

Thank you any1particular for the link!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9VymAn8QJNQ

Waooow ! I am impressed ! Nice project !
;)
About chiptune, 8-bit music, chipmusic, audio tracking, trackers, pixel art, VST AU 8-bit plugins...
http://woolyss.com/chipmusic.php

Ethno-dub & groove :
http://www.myspace.com/jerrycoox

any1particular wrote: kbaccki:

Again-great suggestions-I will apply all of them. When you say filter the reverb-what does that mean? The drums are from a recent free Ableton Live Pack by JK Sawka-a Drum & Bass drummer-kinda bazaar of me to use that on this? So yeas I'm going to get rid of the drums even though I put a lot of work in to them. I like the idea of using percussion. One thing I strive to do with my music is to give it a modern flare-I don't want to sound vanilla?
By filter the reverb I mean to limit the incoming and/or outgoing verb frequencies to add a verby ambience but to focus the ambiance to a certain frequency range so as to not muddy up the broader spectrum. E.g., the Cakewalk Sonitus verb has a hi/lo cut filter for filtering the incoming signal: Image
If your verb doesn't have it's own filter you could achieve the same kinda thing with an aux send to a filter/EQ sitting in front of the verb.

In your case you have a the cool guitar intro thing with a delay and lots of verb, but I think the verb really gets dense in the low-mids, and to me it gets a little muddy... you could hi pass just the verb input to keep the lower frequencies away from the verb... that would clear up some of the dense verb tails that are building up in the lower frequencies, while still allowing the verb to contribute a nice ambience from the higher frequencies. Know what I mean? It's important to realize that you don't want the whole guitar track filtered/EQed, only what's getting fed to the reverb. Anyway... just and idea to play with I guess...

As far as the drums, I actually like them... didn't mean to sound like I didn't... I think they add an interesting, esoteric flavor, for sure, but I also thought that maybe combining them with some more traditional acoustic percussion could give you an interesting old+new sound. E.g., during some of the breaks I can imagine some conga/shakers/whatever keeping things moving underneath while having the more contemporary drum sound "freelancing" over the top...

If you have a condenser mic, you can find household objects to use as percussion, or the body of an accoustic guitar. Make a shaker of some sort, or something that resembles a conga/bongo type sound. This type of experimentation often yeilds creative results that sound natural, and sparks lots of ideas. I had the condenser out one night and was working on a track, finding all sorts of household percussive sources to record. Even if you don't have a set of congas, I find this way of working easier and more natural than programming perc or using a midi controller to trigger sounds.

Gorgeous track Chuck! I supose u could say its fusion jazz.... the guitar sometimes sounds like Spinetta, here http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4hWZyLM2Wg0
it could help u in the sonic research

Return to “Music Cafe”