Waldorf MicroQ (or Blofeld) vs Q

Anything about hardware musical instruments.
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Uncle E wrote:
rob_lee wrote:Eq for a start..Blofeld has none and Largo does therefore i can get a fuller sound from the off..Largo's reverb and delay are available on both FX1 and FX2 whilst this is not the case on the Blofeld.
Being an old school analog synth guy, I have to admit that EQs and reverbs really bother be in presets (delays are OK since they don't create problems the ways those do). Unless the EQ occurs early in the synth's architecture, it seems better to save it for the mix.
I'm not a huge fan of using EQ's as "effects" either, preferring to view them as tools when mixing. With the Blofeld however it would be very useful due to the single stereo-out. The Blofeld in multi-mode is almost like a submix with its own mixer in itself (you can bring up virtual volume faders and pan pots for each part on the screen). For example, suppose you have 6 parts going into one audio track and you decide one of them needs some EQ - then you'll have to re-record that part to its own audio track and re-record the other 5 to their own track. It would be much easier to just bring up an EQ page on the LCD for the part you want to tweak :)
Hardware: Akai MPK61, MFB-Synth II, Roland JX-8P, Virus TI Snow, KORG MS2000R, Roland SH-01
Favorite software: Sylenth1, Synth1, Messiah, ME80, OPX-Pro II, Zebra 2, Diva, Reason, Studio One V2 Pro

For example, suppose you have 6 parts going into one audio track and you decide one of them needs some EQ -
- then make use of the two filters per part that Blofeld provides. Not surgical, but often does the trick.

stimresp wrote:
For example, suppose you have 6 parts going into one audio track and you decide one of them needs some EQ -
- then make use of the two filters per part that Blofeld provides. Not surgical, but often does the trick.
But suppose you're already using both for the actual sound ;)
Hardware: Akai MPK61, MFB-Synth II, Roland JX-8P, Virus TI Snow, KORG MS2000R, Roland SH-01
Favorite software: Sylenth1, Synth1, Messiah, ME80, OPX-Pro II, Zebra 2, Diva, Reason, Studio One V2 Pro

JimmiG wrote:I'm not a huge fan of using EQ's as "effects" either, preferring to view them as tools when mixing. With the Blofeld however it would be very useful due to the single stereo-out.
You and Rob made great points and, yes, I could definitely see the value of having EQ and effects sends on the Blofeld's own sub-mixer. Actually, this reminds of just how much Novation's Supernova benefited from its comprehensive effects section, you'd think that lesson would've been universally learned now over 10 years on.

stimresp wrote:
Yeah that's what i thought but what if you're modulating the filter or using the comb filters? I rarely use both fx so one slot for an eq would be more than welcome and it leaves the filters free for creative use. I don't see a problem really, it's optional whether you use it or not and what with the blofeld having a big sound that can overwhelm an eq would be really useful especially in a live situation. :)
Latest release and Socials: https://linktr.ee/ph.i.ltr3

well then as my hardware setup grows maybe you could all take a look here and advise as im sitting on a few hundred quid i wanna splash tonight :)

@Uncle E

can you recommend anything for the link below?
http://www.kvraudio.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=277909

btw

i completed the new Blofeld factory content today so im just loading them into their slots and doing final tweaks..will submit to Waldorf this weekend :) hope your all happy when you all recieve your new OS whenever that is 8)

Rob

I've had my Blofeld for about 8 months now and apart from an initial test, haven't had a chance to use it since :( I'm hoping that will change soon though.

Looking forward to trying out your sounds too Rob.
Some of my music Soundcloud Goseba

Goseba wrote:I've had my Blofeld for about 8 months now and apart from an initial test, haven't had a chance to use it since :( I'm hoping that will change soon though.

Looking forward to trying out your sounds too Rob.
Thanks mate :) They will be available to all Blofeld users as part of the update..plenty of diversity in there aswell..apart from the obvious dance stuff i usually do i couldn't resist tampering with the wavetables in this
thing for some lush ambient chill stuff aswell so there's enough to cover all genres here i think.

Rob :)

rob_lee wrote:@Uncle E

can you recommend anything for the link below?
http://www.kvraudio.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=277909
See you over there!

rob_lee wrote:well then as my hardware setup grows maybe you could all take a look here and advise as im sitting on a few hundred quid i wanna splash tonight :)
No! :P

musikmachine wrote:
rob_lee wrote:well then as my hardware setup grows maybe you could all take a look here and advise as im sitting on a few hundred quid i wanna splash tonight :)
No! :P
C U N T :D :tantrum:

Uncle E wrote:Actually, this reminds of just how much Novation's Supernova benefited from its comprehensive effects section, you'd think that lesson would've been universally learned now over 10 years on.
Well a bit OT, but not even Novation learned. The Supernova/Nova were awesome, Supernova II even more so. Then they stated making their synths cheaper and cheaper. The Xiosynth and various "Stations" don't compare at all to even the Nova.

rob_lee wrote: i completed the new Blofeld factory content today so im just loading them into their slots and doing final tweaks..will submit to Waldorf this weekend :) hope your all happy when you all recieve your new OS whenever that is 8)

Rob
Any chance Waldorf has added the the 'eight-stage wave envelope' and the 'free envelope' from the Microwave XT in the new Blofeld OS?

Don't answer if the answer is yes. :hihi:

Nice strategy T71. :hihi:

...and no answer ;)

I don't actually expect them to add those things, but user wavetables has been rumoured. Rumoured.

I would like to see the step LFOs from Largo though. And more than that the flaky things being addressed, I'm sure they have been.

It's crazy though, when you look at the hardware you realise it's mostly the 'OS' you are paying for with a synth like this so it really should work properly.

Return to “Hardware (Instruments and Effects)”