Requests/Wishlist

Official support for: photosounder.com
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
Photosounder

some ideas from this app
http://www.monalisa-au.org/
Monalisa-Audio Unit is an Audio Units* plug-in which bridges the image effects world to the sound effects world and a one of premiere GPU based audio processing software in the world. It wraps Image Units** plug-in as Audio Unit plug-in. With this software, people could use every Image Unit image effects (e.g. motion blur, posterize) as sound effects within Audio Unit host application (e.g. Apple Logic Pro, Apple Garage Band).

Monalisa-Image Unit

Monalisa-Image Unit is an Image Units plug-in which bridges the sound effects world to the image effects world. It wraps Audio Unit plug-in as Image Unit plug-in. With this software, people could use every Audio Unit sound effects (e.g. delay, band pass filter, reverb) as image effects within Image Unit host application (e.g. Apple Motion, Apple Quartz Composer).

VariKusBrainZ wrote:some ideas from this app
http://www.monalisa-au.org/
Monalisa-Audio Unit is an Audio Units* plug-in which bridges the image effects world to the sound effects world and a one of premiere GPU based audio processing software in the world. It wraps Image Units** plug-in as Audio Unit plug-in. With this software, people could use every Image Unit image effects (e.g. motion blur, posterize) as sound effects within Audio Unit host application (e.g. Apple Logic Pro, Apple Garage Band).

Monalisa-Image Unit

Monalisa-Image Unit is an Image Units plug-in which bridges the sound effects world to the image effects world. It wraps Audio Unit plug-in as Image Unit plug-in. With this software, people could use every Audio Unit sound effects (e.g. delay, band pass filter, reverb) as image effects within Image Unit host application (e.g. Apple Motion, Apple Quartz Composer).
Well, I think that's very different in that what this does is directly play rows of pixels are audio samples, so, that doesn't really make sense, and so applying random image effects to it doesn't make much sense either except for making the original senseless sound sound different. Photosounder is designed to make more sense, so that you can make sense out of what you see and can figure out how to transform it, and so I'm implementing all the tools necessary to transform images in a way that makes sense. Classical image effects don't do much that's any good here. I've tried pretty much every filter in Photoshop and there's just nothing very noteworthy coming out of it.
Developer of Photosounder (a spectral editor/synth), SplineEQ and Spiral

Serious request: It would be nice if there was a macro recorder for long and or repetitive tasks.

Not Serious request: A little more far fetched would be 3D mode for those with 3D screens
so we can 'fly into' the display and make adjustments.
The reason for this crazy request is that the latest image on the PS site has an almost 3D look to it ;)..

Michel, I still would love an external lib or at least API access to functions plleeeeaaasssee :lol:
stay juicy!

Optomadic wrote:Serious request: It would be nice if there was a macro recorder for long and or repetitive tasks.

Not Serious request: A little more far fetched would be 3D mode for those with 3D screens
so we can 'fly into' the display and make adjustments.
The reason for this crazy request is that the latest image on the PS site has an almost 3D look to it ;)..

Michel, I still would love an external lib or at least API access to functions plleeeeaaasssee :lol:
Wow, that's pretty coincidental, I was just mentioning in another thread how in the next version you'll have some form of macro recording and a way to call functions at first through file, then TCP/IP, then eventually as an external library.

It's all there : http://www.kvraudio.com/forum/viewtopic ... 68#4269168

As for 3D, lol I have no idea how to do that, I mean I'm familiar with how parallax works but I just don't know how 3D screens are supposed to work plus I don't have one hehe. I've thought about it though, since the image you see is a lot like an elevation map, it would almost make sense to allow it to be in 3D, although I don't think there would be any real benefit ;)

Optomadic wrote:Serious request: It would be nice if there was a macro recorder for long and or repetitive tasks.
Oh also, what kind of repetitive tasks? What do they do? I'm thinking maybe in next release I could bundle a bunch of scripts to do them.

For instance if I have procedures like say your cleaning up vocals tutorial,
I'd rather have a button than does the job for me rather than having to manually batch each instance.

thnx for the response
stay juicy!

Optomadic wrote:For instance if I have procedures like say your cleaning up vocals tutorial,
I'd rather have a button than does the job for me rather than having to manually batch each instance.
Sure, although the problem is that you might need to input some settings, like some layer intensity.

Which just gave me a brilliant idea: a command to create knobs to change any value at any point in the script and see the full result! Everytime you'd change a value it'd go through the whole script all over again with the different value. Might be a bit complicated though cause it'd have to be reversible, so it might take a while before I get to that..

Although in the case of the vocals thing I guess you could adjust the layer intensity after all the commands are executed, to tweak the result, so that wouldn't be any problem.

New to the wonderful amazing Photosounder and even newer to the forum, I'll repeat a question I just sent to Support@... in the form of a request for some sort of batch mode of operation.

I want to create sounds from a large number of related images and would like not :( to manually load each jpeg and then save each wave file. I'd envision photosounder being given a directory of images and creating a directory of wav files or simply, in the source directory, a wav file of the same name as its corresponding image.

An alternative approach would be a command line interface which could be given a batch file with a list of images to process eg:
Photosounder -infile test1.jpg -outfile test1.wav
Photosounder -infile test2.jpg -outfile test2.wav
Photosounder -infile test3.jpg -outfile test3.wav

etc.

All the items would be processed using the settings given by 'config.txt' -- which leads to a second request, 'dynamic configuration' for lack of a better term.

I realize there may be all sorts of issues of allocating buffers etc which can't be changed on the fly, but how about being able to easily pick a configuration from amongst as many as the user finds useful eg:
low pixels/second for creating ambient passages
high pixels/sec for creating short percussive samples
varying min and max frequency ranges for creating STAB versions of a voice
etc.

The corollary would be a 'Save current settings' as a configuration option.

If configurations could be changed then a batch file might look like this:
Photosounder -infile test1.jpg -outfile test1.wav -config ambient.txt
Photosounder -infile test2.jpg -outfile test2.wav -config alto.txt
Photosounder -infile test3.jpg -outfile test3.wav -config tenor.txt
Photosounder -infile test4.jpg -outfile test4.wav

The last, with no configuration specified would use the default.

Regards,
Carl

000cpc000 wrote:New to the wonderful amazing Photosounder and even newer to the forum, I'll repeat a question I just sent to Support@... in the form of a request for some sort of batch mode of operation.

I want to create sounds from a large number of related images and would like not :( to manually load each jpeg and then save each wave file. I'd envision photosounder being given a directory of images and creating a directory of wav files or simply, in the source directory, a wav file of the same name as its corresponding image.

An alternative approach would be a command line interface which could be given a batch file with a list of images to process eg:
Photosounder -infile test1.jpg -outfile test1.wav
Photosounder -infile test2.jpg -outfile test2.wav
Photosounder -infile test3.jpg -outfile test3.wav

etc.

All the items would be processed using the settings given by 'config.txt' -- which leads to a second request, 'dynamic configuration' for lack of a better term.

I realize there may be all sorts of issues of allocating buffers etc which can't be changed on the fly, but how about being able to easily pick a configuration from amongst as many as the user finds useful eg:
low pixels/second for creating ambient passages
high pixels/sec for creating short percussive samples
varying min and max frequency ranges for creating STAB versions of a voice
etc.

The corollary would be a 'Save current settings' as a configuration option.

If configurations could be changed then a batch file might look like this:
Photosounder -infile test1.jpg -outfile test1.wav -config ambient.txt
Photosounder -infile test2.jpg -outfile test2.wav -config alto.txt
Photosounder -infile test3.jpg -outfile test3.wav -config tenor.txt
Photosounder -infile test4.jpg -outfile test4.wav

The last, with no configuration specified would use the default.

Regards,
Carl
In a way what I have in plans is a mix of both your batch processing idea and your custom config idea. What I'm working on is a sort of plain text protocol for everything from saving the whole editing history of a project (in a way that can be replayed and even edited) to scripting actions, sending live commands over the network or as it only publicly exists now, save the state of the project (as of v1.8.2, that's all the Photosounder Archive format does).

What it means is that you'll only have to write to a text file the list of commands you want done. It might look something like this :

Code: Select all

Photosounder Archive v1.1

Clear image
Open "test1.jpg"

Frequency range 80 Hz - 3500 Hz
Operation rotation by 90
Gamma 2.01688
Time resolution 5.06621

Save "test1.wav"

Clear image
Open "test2.jpg"

Frequency range 27.5 Hz - 20000 Hz
Gamma 1
Time resolution 130.651
Operation vertical flip

Save "test2.wav"

End of archive
Does that seem any good to you? Note that you'll be able to make most of such a script by simply doing such actions in the program and then look into the history file how they were recorded. That's actually what I just did using the latest build of Photosounder that records everything, did a few actions and edited the whole thing into what you see above. As of version 1.8.3 the list of commands above will be entirely valid as it is. So that's pretty simple. Plus you could yourself create a program/script that would generate such a file.

AUTO-ADMIN: Non-MP3, WAV, OGG, SoundCloud, YouTube, Vimeo, Twitter and Facebook links in this post have been protected automatically. Once the member reaches 5 posts the links will function as normal.
A_SN wrote:In a way what I have in plans is a mix of both your batch processing idea and your custom config idea. What I'm working on is a sort of plain text protocol...
Thanks for that. I'd read a bit about the archive plans but hadn't quite connected how well it could meet my needs.
... Plus you could yourself create a program/script that would generate such a file.
I'll start working on that this afternoon! :) It looks easier than the utilities I've done for Chaoscope project files which are more like code with nested brackets etc.

Do I assume correctly that the section

Code: Select all (#)

Operation rotation by 90
Gamma 2.01688
Time resolution 5.06621
1. is optional, in that anything not listed is specified by a default config file?
2. can be anywhere eg not necessarily after an 'open' command?
And therefore the following would be OK?

Code: Select all (#)

Photosounder Archive v1.1

Operation rotation by 90
Gamma 2.01688
Time resolution 5.06621

Clear image
Open "test1.jpg"
Save "test1.wav"
Clear image
Open "test2.jpg"
Save "test2.wav"
Clear image
Open "test3.jpg"
Save "test3.wav"

End of archive
...with the further assumption that blank line are for only for human readability? I'd suggest being able to include comments to help document hand constructed ones.

Regards,
Carl

Yep, that's all correct. Unless specified otherwise the default values are used, and the old values are used until you specify new ones. This being said you'd have to wait for the next release before you can use it in any way. As it is Photosounder can't understand half of these commands.

Edit: as for comments, you can already add some (using whatever you want really, if the line doesn't start with a recognised keyword or character it is skipped) but they need to have their own line.

Hi, would it be possible to import an animated image stream and have it play back a difference between the images,
so that the audio changes depending on how much the content in the frames change.

leespooner wrote:Hi, would it be possible to import an animated image stream and have it play back a difference between the images,
so that the audio changes depending on how much the content in the frames change.
Nope, you can only import one static image or one sound. Anything else and you'll have to write a script that spits out the image you want. Pretty sure you can do something like that by writing a script with ImageMagick.

A_SN wrote:
5against4 wrote:Hi, didn't notice this thread!

As i said in my other thread... i was hoping to generate some material that lies in the range 18-24kHz. Now, Photosounder is clearly able to cope with this, as the Max. frequency dial will go as high as 26kHz. BUT, as Photosounder will only save in WAV format at the standard rate of 44.1kHz, this obviously means that i'm well exceeding the Nyquist frequency, & so anything above 22,050Hz will not be accurately represented in the WAV file.

Is it possible that a future release of Photosounder could allow for higher-resolution WAV files to be generated? My preference would be 96kHz, & an option for 24- or 32-bit would be the icing on the cake.
Actually you can already do that by changing the sampling rate in config.txt. You can set it to 96000 and you'll get 96 kHz both for the playback and when you save the file. As for bit depth, I'll try to see what I can do about it. What if I make the WAV output be 32-bit float by default?
Yes! or at least could you make it 24 bit by default and let us raise and drop to between 4bit and 32bit?
Good to hear that the sample rate can be increased to 96K (modern day 'standard' default for most today seems to be 24/96)

Electronic1982 wrote:
A_SN wrote:
5against4 wrote:Hi, didn't notice this thread!

As i said in my other thread... i was hoping to generate some material that lies in the range 18-24kHz. Now, Photosounder is clearly able to cope with this, as the Max. frequency dial will go as high as 26kHz. BUT, as Photosounder will only save in WAV format at the standard rate of 44.1kHz, this obviously means that i'm well exceeding the Nyquist frequency, & so anything above 22,050Hz will not be accurately represented in the WAV file.

Is it possible that a future release of Photosounder could allow for higher-resolution WAV files to be generated? My preference would be 96kHz, & an option for 24- or 32-bit would be the icing on the cake.
Actually you can already do that by changing the sampling rate in config.txt. You can set it to 96000 and you'll get 96 kHz both for the playback and when you save the file. As for bit depth, I'll try to see what I can do about it. What if I make the WAV output be 32-bit float by default?
Yes! or at least could you make it 24 bit by default and let us raise and drop to between 4bit and 32bit?
Good to hear that the sample rate can be increased to 96K (modern day 'standard' default for most today seems to be 24/96)
Well that's already set to 32-bit float by default, no interest in changing that now.

Return to “Photosounder”