Pop Jazz Guitar

Share your music, collaborate, and partake in monthly music contests.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

I'm interested to hear what the KVR community thinks of this track?

I'm not sure if it's cool or cheesy?

I would really appreciate other objective view points-mix-length-etc.

All instruments were performed with a Rolond GR-20 guitar synth except the drums-Spectrasonics Stylus RMX. The only actual sound coming from the Roland is the lead piano.

The bass is Spectrasonics Trilian and the Rhodes is Mr Ray. The strings are Spectrasonics Atmosphere.

Guitar-American Standard Strat through the Line 6 Pod 3.

DAW-Ableton Live 8

Moven On:

http://www.opendrive.com/files/6146652_ ... n%20On.mp3

Image-

sounds good, rattles along. There is alot of high frequency sounds. Sounds like a good jam tune, and they can go all day...te hehe :D
can't give you any kind of useful sensible community opinion....this all sounds like some fun to me.

Nice choon Chuck. Some of the transitional moments were a bit awkward. and the mix could be polished a bit more. The highs on the percussion are a bit brittle. Cool that poppy melody at 2:47. The guitar solo was also solid and had a nice tone to it. All the rest is good, solid stuff from where I'm listening.

Cheers.

It's cool, no cheesy :) Though it has this 80ies/DavidSanborn touch ;) Anyway, good composition and the guitar is brilliant, good work

- Ulli -
Sunburn In Cyprus - Downtempo/Lounge/Pop/Electronic/Dub
Sunburn In Cyprus music site

Sure there could be some polishing done but I'm really digging this tune. Lovely mix of styles/instruments. :tu:
Rekkerd.org the latest news on audio plugins, sample libraries & virtual instruments, synth presets & more.
Don't click here if you can't control yourself!

Good one Chuck
Acid Jazz tinged - I like it. :)
I'll have to get used to a piano led played on a guitar! :hihi:
It's a bit strange.

I'm definitely starting to see a theme to the way you compose. You have a unique sound obviously drawing on your smooth jazz background but with some more contemporary/Electronic styles on top.
There's a bit of the Pat Metheny group sound in this track - but when the guitar solo kicks in it's a bit more like Paul Jackson Jr. solo albums. My guess is you're quite inspired by him. your licks seems a bit Jackson'esque. That's never a bad thing though :D

Great job as always. I wont comment on the mixing and stuff since I have just as many issues coping with the concepts as you have :hihi:

This is really excellent work so far.
I support inflections made by the others in the thread.
It still has, in some ways, what is expected from a good piece of music at this point in it's construction.
If I get to it, i'd like to give my interpretation of what i'd do to further it along by actually doing a few overdubs and some audio edits to the mp3.
Just for demonstration of course.

I love the groove alot!
I like the 2nd chord in the verse..or maybe it's that and the two chord interval...it gives me a feeling of Latin / Cuban jazz.
EDIT: Listening now again, it's clear that interval along with the bassline and rhythm all together reflect a cuban jazz influence.
EDIT: Your accents on the bass synth really solidify the pulse.
Man...your guitar licks are so f**king tasty! Not one off / out of scale note...that's just too good.:lol:
Very cool. :D
....................Don`t blame me for 'The Roots', I just live here. :x

I made a few arrangement edits to the song.
I also added a bit of parametric cut at 10khz. The cymbals needed to be tamed a bit. Maybe your 160kb/s mp3 makes it worse.
Let me know what you think of my suggestions. :)
Oh and the effects at the end were just to smooth out my awkward transition.
http://home.comcast.net/~newdabranck/mu ... e.edit.mp3

EDIT: I just noticed my mp3 has an odd channel balance. I didn't intend this. Something happened when I split the mp3 into two channels it seems.

New version #2.
http://home.comcast.net/~newdabranck/mu ... .edit2.mp3

- Added what I feel is another important edit.
- Corrected self generated phase prob.
- Tightened up v.1.0 edits...best as possible.
- Edited ending so it's a proper ending now. (i like it. :D)

I expect you'll be back...you've been polite in the past. :)

So sorry I haven't responded to this post sooner-been having some health issues...

i certainly appreciate your time & support.

fateamenabletochange wrote:sounds good, rattles along. There is alot of high frequency sounds. Sounds like a good jam tune, and they can go all day...te hehe :D
can't give you any kind of useful sensible community opinion....this all sounds like some fun to me.
Thank you for your support fateamenabletochange!!! Much appreciated! 'Twas fun to create.

TankEyes wrote:Nice choon Chuck. Some of the transitional moments were a bit awkward. and the mix could be polished a bit more. The highs on the percussion are a bit brittle. Cool that poppy melody at 2:47. The guitar solo was also solid and had a nice tone to it. All the rest is good, solid stuff from where I'm listening.

Cheers.
Thanks for your thoughtful critique. I have moderate hearing loss from a lifetime of live performing-too freakin loud with cymbals in my ears every night blah blah blah..so I don't even hear the high end:-)

The art of mixing/producing is relatively new to me-I'm eager to learn.

I just had a listen (again) to http://dl.dropbox.com/u/3390851/Hidden% ... on%203.mp3 very professional sounding-I wonder what you're using to achieve such a polished sound?

Anyway-thanks for your support!

sic wrote:It's cool, no cheesy :) Though it has this 80ies/DavidSanborn touch ;) Anyway, good composition and the guitar is brilliant, good work

- Ulli -
Thanks for your support sic! :)

core wrote:Sure there could be some polishing done but I'm really digging this tune. Lovely mix of styles/instruments. :tu:
Thanks so much for your support Ronnie!!! Be sure to pm me when you post new music!!!:)

K-Bee wrote:Good one Chuck
Acid Jazz tinged - I like it. :)
I'll have to get used to a piano led played on a guitar! :hihi:
It's a bit strange.

I'm definitely starting to see a theme to the way you compose. You have a unique sound obviously drawing on your smooth jazz background but with some more contemporary/Electronic styles on top.
There's a bit of the Pat Metheny group sound in this track - but when the guitar solo kicks in it's a bit more like Paul Jackson Jr. solo albums. My guess is you're quite inspired by him. your licks seems a bit Jackson'esque. That's never a bad thing though :D

Great job as always. I wont comment on the mixing and stuff since I have just as many issues coping with the concepts as you have :hihi:
What a thoughtful comment K-Bee. You warm my heart. And you nailed what it is I'm trying to do with my most recent batch of tracks-I am trying to draw from my years of playing (vanilla?) smooth jazz/funk and wrapping it in a modern electronic twist. You definently know your jazz! much more so than I.

Be sure to check out K-Bee's excellent track and cast a vote:

http://www.4shared.com/play/21373365/66 ... lenge.html

annode wrote:This is really excellent work so far.
I support inflections made by the others in the thread.
It still has, in some ways, what is expected from a good piece of music at this point in it's construction.
If I get to it, i'd like to give my interpretation of what i'd do to further it along by actually doing a few overdubs and some audio edits to the mp3.
Just for demonstration of course.

I love the groove alot!
I like the 2nd chord in the verse..or maybe it's that and the two chord interval...it gives me a feeling of Latin / Cuban jazz.
EDIT: Listening now again, it's clear that interval along with the bassline and rhythm all together reflect a cuban jazz influence.
EDIT: Your accents on the bass synth really solidify the pulse.
Man...your guitar licks are so f**king tasty! Not one off / out of scale note...that's just too good.:lol:
Very cool. :D
Hey Barry.:)

I'm so glad you like the track!:)

Man o man I can't tell you how much your enthusiasm inspires me! Can't wait to get started on another track!

Yeah! Cuban jazz is an influence here for sure.

I must say I quite like what you've done with your arrangement (although the first edit sounds a bit abrupt). Other than that I like what you've done here! good job!

Regarding the EQing. As stated earlier I have moderate hearing loss. And so I appreciate all the help i can get! And yes. I like your ending-smooth!

Thank you sir for pimping my song!!!:)

any1particular wrote:S

Thanks for your thoughtful critique. I have moderate hearing loss from a lifetime of live performing-too freakin loud with cymbals in my ears every night blah blah blah..so I don't even hear the high end:-)

The art of mixing/producing is relatively new to me-I'm eager to learn.

I just had a listen (again) to http://dl.dropbox.com/u/3390851/Hidden% ... on%203.mp3 very professional sounding-I wonder what you're using to achieve such a polished sound?

Anyway-thanks for your support!
I'm glad my critique was well received. Sorry to hear about your hearing loss :( The lifetime of life performing really comes through in your music - some of the melodies and licks in this tune are so strong,catchy and natural sounding. I bet you can make up dozens of them without even breaking a sweat.

I don't have much in the way of hi-end gear, I just try to get the most out of what I've got. I've had a think about it though and I reckon the reverb plug Aether's great sound and presets contributed a lot to "Evolution"'s lush vibe. I don't know if I could get that sound even if I had an expensive lexicon or eventide rack!

ciao.

Return to “Music Cafe”