The Poor man's Compressor completely free if you want it

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Effects Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Hi. :)

I would like to introduce the Poor man's Compressor.

I made this device after reading a spec sheet on the Fairchild 660 to get an idea what it would sound like. I never found any need for it so hopefully someone here will put it to good use.

I modified a few things throughout the months so it would not be just another Fairchild 670 copy on the market. Below you will see the original specs of the Fairchild 660/670 followed by the Poor man's Compressor

The Fairchild 660/670

Attack Time: (Fixed using the following settings) 0.2, 0.4, or 0.8 milliseconds

Release Time: (Fixed using the following settings) 0.3, 0.8, 2.0, or 5.0 seconds

Ratio: 1.1 to 1.20

Compression: 10 dB

Frequency Response 40 - 15 kcps +/- 1 dB

The Poor man's Compressor

Attack Time: (Fixed using the following settings) 0.2, 0.4, or 0.8 milliseconds

Release Time: (Variable) 30 milliseconds to 5 seconds

Ratio: (Variable) 0.05:1 to 5.00:1

Compression: 80 dB

Frequency Response 36 - 14 kHz +/- 1 dB

Bear in mind I am not insinuating this will sound like the Fairchild 660. However, it may offer similar characteristics.

This compressor is more suited for those who record music. Unlike the Increment Limiter I designed, this particular device offers artefacts that may be suited for drums, vocals and things of that nature.

It is completely free so, the most you can do is try it. If it does not meet up to your expectations toss it in your rubbish bin. :)

Download Link

http://www.box.net/shared/e4scxf7g5c

Cheers.
Last edited by Sir Elliot on Fri Apr 30, 2010 4:08 pm, edited 4 times in total.
Sir Elliot

Thanks man, will try later. And welcome.

Here is the download link. :)
Last edited by Sir Elliot on Fri Nov 04, 2011 8:34 am, edited 2 times in total.
Sir Elliot

Thank you Sir Elliot! I'll give it a spin.

Cheers!
It is no measure of health to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick society. - Jiddu Krishnamurti

Here's my (hardware) poor man's compressor:

Havent seen a VST version of it yet... :)

nice job! This is darn good dude... Thanks so much.
Now the proud owner of an avid 11 Rack, Running Pro Tools 10.3.3 - for me it's heaven!

We can't get enough compressors! They're lovely! :D

Thanks!

I am happy to hear it will be put to good use. :)

I made a short video on what it is capable of doing.

http://vimeo.com/9935658

Have a great weekend!
Sir Elliot

Thanks for another plug! I'll try it out on my poor man's computer later on.

Edit-trying it now, it's awesome! Nice punchy slaps.
The only site for experimental amp sim freeware & MIDI FX: http://runbeerrun.blogspot.com
https://m.youtube.com/channel/UCprNcvVH6aPTehLv8J5xokA -Youtube jams

RunBeerRun wrote:Thanks for another plug! I'll try it out on my poor man's computer later on.

Edit-trying it now, it's awesome! Nice punchy slaps.
I am happy to hear this one is working for you.

Bare in mind I design my plug-ins so they will function on a 1 GHZ Pentium 3 if need be.
I am very concern with CPU usage.

There will be an equaliser arriving very shortly, which will offer the characteristics of hardware devices. Nothing extravagant that many blokes are mimicking. Dare I say devices that many of them over look. :)

Cheers.
Sir Elliot

Your ratio control labeling is a bit funny. Anything less than 1:1 becomes an upwards expander, no? Meaning signals above the threshold are amplified. :)

Anyhow, sounds quite chunky and snappy! Will try it out once I have a chance.

Cheers!
bManic
"Wisdom is wisdom, regardless of the idiot who said it." -an idiot

bmanic wrote:Your ratio control labeling is a bit funny. Anything less than 1:1 becomes an upwards expander, no? Meaning signals above the threshold are amplified. :)

Anyhow, sounds quite chunky and snappy! Will try it out once I have a chance.

Cheers!
bManic
Possibly so. I modified the ratio early in the morning before presenting it here
and did not have have my tea. :D

Enjoy it mate.
Sir Elliot

the ratio knob, for ratio greater than 1:1, works like the "INFINITY +" inverse-compression mode implemented in DBX 160A compressor....

...btw the compressor introduce a lot of percepible "distortion" when used on voices, even with long release settings but has a nice punch ( a little of "overshoots" on the attacks...) on drums however

thanks for you work :)

alteregoxxx wrote:the ratio knob, for ratio greater than 1:1, works like the "INFINITY +" inverse-compression mode implemented in DBX 160A compressor....

...btw the compressor introduce a lot of percepible "distortion" when used on voices, even with long release settings but has a nice punch ( a little of "overshoots" on the attacks...) on drums however

thanks for you work :)
Hi.

Thank you for trying the Poorman's Compressor. :)

Try a lower ratio with the attack set to maximum. Bear in mind the Attack is in microseconds (mu) not milliseconds (mS).

I will need to figure out a way to change the decimal point location in my following project.

The default setting of 1.00:1 would be considered 10.0:1 on a standard hardware compressor.

Cheers.
Sir Elliot

Thank you and welcome :)

Return to “Effects”