Zyklus Improvisor, real-time harmonic sequencer

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

phreaque wrote:
jamesd wrote:Thanks for the links.

However, I have been in touch with Bronswerk, who has been super helpful, and have now got ZI up and running on Win 10. :) :)
That's great! You found him on Facebook?
Can you tell some details? Or better yet to make a video?
I sent him a message from here!

Oh, and about getting it to work on Win 10 - it did actually work straightaway, but I got confused about something (the file menu 'Save/Save As' were greyed out, but they are meant to be like that).

If people contact me by private pm I will most likely respond in a few days, but quicker is possible. For troubleshooting I usually redirect them to email. Sorry, there's no Facebook page. I can't keep up with all those sites to communicate. A few forums and email is enough for me.

There's maybe some misunderstanding about the download version available on the Dropbox site (see link previous page). When opening the program the File menu items Save and Save As.. are greyed out. This is normal because you're using a runtime version of Max. Those menu items belongs to the Max environment itself. The Improvisor program however has fully working dedicated buttons for Save and Save As.. operations.

When people are using it under Windows 10 there's not much I can do when problems arise. Some people got it working, like James, others can't. There are too much variables going on. But I suspect it's mostly the case of using the correct Java Runtime version that is needed to run Improvisor. JRE 6 is recommended, however I'm using JRE 7 on a Windows 7 computer with no problems. People using OSX are on their own, no Mac over here.

The current version (0.5d) of Improvisor is no longer developed. It would take me an awfully lot of time to continue it. If I look at my own code now, it looks like if somebody else has written it, that's how disconnected I am with it today. And that's part of the reason why I started to completely rewrite a new version. Another reason was the overwhelming user interface, way too many buttons on the screen, and last but not least how to operate the program in general.

But I have a question to ask that's bothering me quite some time, is there really a need for a program like Improvisor? I mean, when I read some discussions they usually go about emulating a hardware box, or incorporating CV, or some stepsequencing idea more refined, or arpeggiators. Nothing wrong with that, it's just that recording and looping your own sequences and use harmonization tools to redirect them to other keys and scales is not something the masses wants to.

bronswerk wrote:If people contact me by private pm I will most likely respond in a few days, but quicker is possible. For troubleshooting I usually redirect them to email. Sorry, there's no Facebook page. I can't keep up with all those sites to communicate. A few forums and email is enough for me.

There's maybe some misunderstanding about the download version available on the Dropbox site (see link previous page). When opening the program the File menu items Save and Save As.. are greyed out. This is normal because you're using a runtime version of Max. Those menu items belongs to the Max environment itself. The Improvisor program however has fully working dedicated buttons for Save and Save As.. operations.

When people are using it under Windows 10 there's not much I can do when problems arise. Some people got it working, like James, others can't. There are too much variables going on. But I suspect it's mostly the case of using the correct Java Runtime version that is needed to run Improvisor. JRE 6 is recommended, however I'm using JRE 7 on a Windows 7 computer with no problems. People using OSX are on their own, no Mac over here.

The current version (0.5d) of Improvisor is no longer developed. It would take me an awfully lot of time to continue it. If I look at my own code now, it looks like if somebody else has written it, that's how disconnected I am with it today. And that's part of the reason why I started to completely rewrite a new version. Another reason was the overwhelming user interface, way too many buttons on the screen, and last but not least how to operate the program in general.

But I have a question to ask that's bothering me quite some time, is there really a need for a program like Improvisor? I mean, when I read some discussions they usually go about emulating a hardware box, or incorporating CV, or some stepsequencing idea more refined, or arpeggiators. Nothing wrong with that, it's just that recording and looping your own sequences and use harmonization tools to redirect them to other keys and scales is not something the masses wants to.
For me, the idea of being able to build up a loop of sequences and then improvise harmonically with that, while also improvising a melody, is the holy grail. It means I can spend more time building up a pleasing soundscape and less time going through each accompaniment line moving notes around, which is a creativity killer for me.

Incidentally, I am using JRE 8 and it seems OK so far.

Incidentally, I am using JRE 8 and it seems OK so far.
Good to know.

bronswerk wrote: Nothing wrong with that, it's just that recording and looping your own sequences and use harmonization tools to redirect them to other keys and scales is not something the masses wants to.
Recently some tools like scaler and the captain plugins have been released, so there is certainly a market for it. I for one, am certainly interested in harmonising tools. I am waiting for the captain tools to become available for windows.

KVR is a very technical forum, so people like to talk about oscillators, synths, compressors, .. at infinitum but towards actually scoring music harmonising tools are certainly interesting.

I have Zyklus Improvisor running on MacOSX sierra... JVM 8

I have never been able to figure out how to use it though. ;-)

I am always fascinated by anything that can be used to improvise some new musical ideas...so..is there a big market for this? no, but anyway some people love it.

If you're not going to do anythign with it, maybe you would consider putting the code up on Github..
MacPro 5,1 12core x 3.46ghz-96gb MacOS 12.2 (opencore), X32+AES16e-50

jamesd wrote:
bronswerk wrote:But I have a question to ask that's bothering me quite some time, is there really a need for a program like Improvisor?
For me, the idea of being able to build up a loop of sequences and then improvise harmonically with that, while also improvising a melody, is the holy grail. It means I can spend more time building up a pleasing soundscape and less time going through each accompaniment line moving notes around, which is a creativity killer for me.
+1
I couldn't say it better than Jamesd regarding the workflow. In classic DAWs, being stuck in a fixed harmonic framework while improvising is frustrating as hell for me.
Though I play music intermittently, I keep a close eye on (holy grail) Improvisor..
.. and as I already said sooner in this thread 8 years ago :D I would pay for it.... unhesitatingly !!

I didn't try this myself, but I check this thread from time to time.
Good to see the project is still moving forward.
As for rewriting the code - I know it from my own experience - I completely rewrote\refactored bluearp code several times (object pascal -> c++ -> c).
So - I wish you the best with you project, and a lot of patience )

Went down a gear rabbit hole and found out about this sequencer from bronswerk. I'd love to give it a spin, where can I obtain a copy of Zyklus Improvisator? The website it was used to host at went down and there is no snapshot of it on the Internet Archive.

Edit: Ah, found a Link of Version 0.5d
In the video description: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vpWmeHX ... pWmeHXajZw

You just beat me :)
0.5d is the latest version btw.

In case anyone is wondering if I'm working on it right now, the answer is no. I stopped developing years ago. Nowadays I'm more in the world of video (Davinci Resolve) and 3D animation (Blender). Music hasn't stopped, I'm using Bitwig and its potential is so amazing. Maybe a CLAP version one day? :lol:

A CLAP version would entitle you to be called a pioneer! Think about that, its a hard to get gratification in the video world… :wink:

Return to “Instruments”