Login / Register  0 items | $0.00New @ What is KVR? Submit News Advertise

How do you make music with summer heat & AC noise?

Anything about MUSIC but doesn't fit into the forums above.

Moderator: Moderators (Main)

Jace-BeOS
KVRAF

2492 posts since 7 Jan, 2005, from Corporate States of America

Postby Jace-BeOS; Thu Aug 27, 2015 10:48 am How do you make music with summer heat & AC noise?

My summers are wasted by intolerable heat and AC noise. The AC is to keep my gear safe (and save me from heat stroke). I can't turn it off most days, and headphones don't block it out (and aren't comfortable beyond a couple hours). I live in northeast PA, USA, where the seasons are growing less "temperate" and more bipolar.

How do you stay productive in summers (ARE you productive)?

Do you have central air (or split systems) in your studio ?

Do you simply live in cooler regions?
- dysamoria.com
my music @ SoundCloud
DJ Warmonger
KVRian

983 posts since 7 Jun, 2012, from Warsaw

Postby DJ Warmonger; Thu Aug 27, 2015 11:31 am Re: How do you make music with summer heat & AC noise?

Someone made a track with Windows startup sound

https://soundcloud.com/ideoforms/window ... lowed-4000

So maybe you can make a sound with AC noise, who knows?

Serum already features a number of AC noises sampled and they are pretty nice.
http://djwarmonger.wordpress.com/
Tricky-Loops wrote: (...)someone like Armin van Buuren who claims to make a track in half an hour and all his songs sound somewhat boring(...)
Jace-BeOS
KVRAF

Postby Jace-BeOS; Thu Aug 27, 2015 12:12 pm Re: How do you make music with summer heat & AC noise?

I used an "AC noise" sample loop from Apple Logic in a recent track. It wasn't remotely like actual AC noise (which is grating, buzzy, hummy, and generally offensive).

Using a sample of a noise I hate is irrelevant to my inquiry. How would I even be able to work on such a piece of audio while I'm bathing in the real thing, hence my frustration in the first place??
- dysamoria.com
my music @ SoundCloud
justin3am
KVRAF

9466 posts since 7 May, 2006, from Southern California

Postby justin3am; Thu Aug 27, 2015 12:19 pm Re: How do you make music with summer heat & AC noise?

I stopped letting it bother me. :shrug:
I often forget to turn off the AC or even the TV, when I'm recording with microphones in the same room. If the performance is otherwise okay, I'll just use the take with the background noise. Very few people notice in the context of a mix. Sometimes the background noise becomes any interesting part of the track.
Tricky-Loops
KVRAF

9651 posts since 12 Mar, 2012, from South Bavaria - near the alps... :-)

Postby Tricky-Loops; Thu Aug 27, 2015 12:25 pm Re: How do you make music with summer heat & AC noise?

In Germany most people don't have AC (in their apartement or house). If it's too hot, they go to the next lake instead of making music!
Frantz
KVRAF

3391 posts since 18 Jul, 2008, from New York

Postby Frantz; Thu Aug 27, 2015 2:20 pm Re: How do you make music with summer heat & AC noise?

Central AC solves the noise issue.
Fragile Gods: SoundCloud | Facebook
Jace-BeOS
KVRAF

Postby Jace-BeOS; Thu Aug 27, 2015 3:17 pm Re: How do you make music with summer heat & AC noise?

justin3am wrote:I stopped letting it bother me. :shrug:
I often forget to turn off the AC or even the TV, when I'm recording with microphones in the same room. If the performance is otherwise okay, I'll just use the take with the background noise. Very few people notice in the context of a mix. Sometimes the background noise becomes any interesting part of the track.

Seriously? How? i can barely think with the AC on. i can barely hear dialog on TV with the AC on and the TV too loud. These aren't huge AC units either. i can't tune anything out, in general, but these things are loud.
- dysamoria.com
my music @ SoundCloud
Jace-BeOS
KVRAF

Postby Jace-BeOS; Thu Aug 27, 2015 3:21 pm Re: How do you make music with summer heat & AC noise?

Frantz wrote:Central AC solves the noise issue.

i would agree, but even if i could afford it, it wouldn't work on the third floor. My parents had to install TWO split systems in their house (colonial style, built in 1977) for the second floor because the AC doesn't help there. The forced air in my house was added to a 100-year old row house, badly, and there's one tiny vent in the corner, in the floor, in one room on the third floor. The ground floor, it would probably work for, but, again, poor.

i'd really like to get a split system. Also outside my financial abilities.
- dysamoria.com
my music @ SoundCloud
Jace-BeOS
KVRAF

Postby Jace-BeOS; Thu Aug 27, 2015 3:22 pm Re: How do you make music with summer heat & AC noise?

Tricky-Loops wrote:In Germany most people don't have AC (in their apartement or house). If it's too hot, they go to the next lake instead of making music!

i didn't know that Germany commonly doesn't have AC in homes. Is the climate generally cooler?

i hate where i live. There's nothing to do here, and i have no friends locally. And no money to travel.
- dysamoria.com
my music @ SoundCloud
Frantz
KVRAF

3391 posts since 18 Jul, 2008, from New York

Postby Frantz; Thu Aug 27, 2015 3:25 pm Re: How do you make music with summer heat & AC noise?

Over the years, I've had several different ac wall units. They weren't that noisy. Are you sure yours is working normally?
Fragile Gods: SoundCloud | Facebook
justin3am
KVRAF

9466 posts since 7 May, 2006, from Southern California

Postby justin3am; Thu Aug 27, 2015 3:29 pm Re: How do you make music with summer heat & AC noise?

Jace-BeOS wrote:Seriously? How?

I've become a master of tuning things out. Just ask my wife. :hihi:
Seriously, though... Where I live (just north of Los Angeles) it's above 80f, 200+ days or more out of the year and it's been in the mid-90s to low 100s almost everyday since the middle of July. There is just no other option but to run the AC all the time, If I couldn't tune it out.

I think it helps that our AC isn't that noisy. The central air at my office is louder.
thecontrolcentre
KVRAF

17929 posts since 27 Jul, 2005, from the wilds of wanny

Postby thecontrolcentre; Thu Aug 27, 2015 3:37 pm Re: How do you make music with summer heat & AC noise?

Where I live (North East England) it's more a matter of tuning out the sound of the roaring fire and howling winds in the winter. I thought you guys were talking about alternating current for a while there ... why is American electricity so noisy? :ud:
Jace-BeOS
KVRAF

Postby Jace-BeOS; Thu Aug 27, 2015 4:28 pm Re: How do you make music with summer heat & AC noise?

Frantz wrote:Over the years, I've had several different ac wall units. They weren't that noisy. Are you sure yours is working normally?

Yes. I have three. They're all loud. The oldest (second-hand) unit is the least noisy. The newer ones are both very loud. Both fan and compressor.
- dysamoria.com
my music @ SoundCloud
Jace-BeOS
KVRAF

Postby Jace-BeOS; Thu Aug 27, 2015 4:33 pm Re: How do you make music with summer heat & AC noise?

American electricity is noisy too. 60Hz hum from ground loops (what electrician even thinks about this when installing electric wiring, and when will balanced AC become a standard??) isn't all I'm talking about. There's more:

I get a regular (intermittent, not constant) six second buzzing sound in every piece of electrical equipment. Things with speakers are most notable, but AC/DC adapters and other power supply coils buzz audibly too. I can't figure out WTF it is. It's not just in my town either. (No, it's not my cell phone)
- dysamoria.com
my music @ SoundCloud
Jace-BeOS
KVRAF

Postby Jace-BeOS; Thu Aug 27, 2015 4:35 pm Re: How do you make music with summer heat & AC noise?

Right now I've got my AC off on the ground floor and I'm still listening to AC hum (neighbor's). Row houses suck.
- dysamoria.com
my music @ SoundCloud
Next

Moderator: Moderators (Main)

Return to Everything Else (Music related)