Login / Register  0 items | $0.00 New @ What is KVR? Submit News Advertise

computer music mag

rugby99
KVRer

14 posts since 22 Jul, 2010, from rugby

Postby rugby99; Fri Aug 19, 2016 2:27 am computer music mag

Anybody know when computer music mag, started putting there dvd cover disk back on the print issue..I was angry ,many months ago, when they stopped the disk, I stopped buying the mag..browsin in smiths the other day, noticed cover disk available again, did not buy it, as there is a big hole in my collection now, really annoyed..when did the cover disk re.appear, is my question....thanks...
mcbpete
KVRist

247 posts since 24 Jun, 2006, from London, England

Postby mcbpete; Fri Aug 19, 2016 2:33 am Re: computer music mag

I've not known it not to have a cover disk - I think for a while Future Music whacked their CDs within the magazine itself (possibly to stop people ripping them off the cover). But I've always known it to have a disc...

Basically all their applications are stored in the CM Vault online anyway so I don't think you'll have missed anything ...
chk071
KVRAF

8747 posts since 10 Apr, 2010, from Germany

Postby chk071; Fri Aug 19, 2016 3:14 am Re: computer music mag

Lee from CM announced here that they would scratch the DVD from the mag. I didn't know that they re-introduced it. I only buy the mag digitally now, on Google Play, and download the DVD content from the CM vault.
“The oddest thing is when children recognize me from Free Willy and their parents recognize me from Reservoir Dogs. The kids are, like, ‘There’s Glen!’ and the parents are, like, ‘Don’t go near that guy!’”

- Michael Madsen
SampleScience
KVRAF

3280 posts since 31 Oct, 2004, from Mtl, Canada

Postby SampleScience; Fri Aug 19, 2016 4:30 am Re: computer music mag

I noticed the same thing. I wonder too when it did came back. I guess DVDs on magazines ads value as it is some kind of high quality backup (compared to a HD or DVDr).
swatwork
KVRist

69 posts since 12 Jul, 2006

Postby swatwork; Fri Aug 19, 2016 4:47 am Re: computer music mag

The cover-mounted DVD made a come-back with issue 230 (with Frontier CM) and as far as I know has been included ever since.
BERFAB
KVRAF

5991 posts since 25 Mar, 2004

Postby BERFAB; Fri Aug 19, 2016 5:35 am Re: computer music mag

I get why people like the actual DVD, but it's getting to be a bit of a dinosaur, no? The Vault system they have in place is a pretty good one. Love the digital version of the mag, too. Easier to browse. Plus fewer dead trees.

-B
Berfab
So many plugins, so little time...
chk071
KVRAF

8747 posts since 10 Apr, 2010, from Germany

Postby chk071; Fri Aug 19, 2016 5:49 am Re: computer music mag

Same here. But I guess that for some, reading and buying a mag at the kiosk will always be attractive.
“The oddest thing is when children recognize me from Free Willy and their parents recognize me from Reservoir Dogs. The kids are, like, ‘There’s Glen!’ and the parents are, like, ‘Don’t go near that guy!’”

- Michael Madsen
thecontrolcentre
KVRAF

19139 posts since 27 Jul, 2005, from the wilds of wanny

Postby thecontrolcentre; Fri Aug 19, 2016 6:31 am Re: computer music mag

The last 3 or 4 issues have the cover disc ... free Tone2 Warmverb this month.
Numanoid
KVRAF

19898 posts since 20 Jan, 2008

Postby Numanoid; Fri Aug 19, 2016 6:39 am Re: computer music mag

BERFAB wrote:I get why people like the actual DVD, but it's getting to be a bit of a dinosaur, no?

Could make the same argument for the paper version of the mag.

I guess those who prefer to read stuff on paper also prefer to have hard copies of DVD's and not isos....
Ceefax: Information, fact, figures
BERFAB
KVRAF

Postby BERFAB; Fri Aug 19, 2016 9:40 am Re: computer music mag

Numanoid wrote:
BERFAB wrote:I get why people like the actual DVD, but it's getting to be a bit of a dinosaur, no?

Could make the same argument for the paper version of the mag.

I guess those who prefer to read stuff on paper also prefer to have hard copies of DVD's and not isos....

I didn't mention the paper version because I presumed a universal understanding of why many prefer it. Heck, I prefer it when I'm reading on the beach, etc. The DVD is in a separate catagory though because its sole job is to hold data that ultimately must be transferred to a machine that probably is connected to the internet--where the same data is also stored. The advantage to a DVD, AFAIK, is ready-made offline data storage, and the fact that downloads can be painfully slow (or non-existant if your machine isn't connected to the net). But cheap fast broadband is making slow downloads a thing of the past, and the Vault will store the files indefinitely--you only download what you need, when you need it.

-B
Berfab
Numanoid
KVRAF

Postby Numanoid; Fri Aug 19, 2016 9:49 am Re: computer music mag

BERFAB wrote:I didn't mention the paper version because I presumed a universal understanding of why many prefer it.

I have been subscribing to Beat Mag for the last 3-4 years, so now I am stuck with a box of paper weighing 10-15 kilos.

Luckily they give out all the issues of the past year on the next years DVD in PDF
pc2000
KVRist

229 posts since 4 Apr, 2006

Postby pc2000; Fri Aug 19, 2016 10:20 am Re: computer music mag

BERFAB wrote:I get why people like the actual DVD, but it's getting to be a bit of a dinosaur, no? The Vault system they have in place is a pretty good one. Love the digital version of the mag, too. Easier to browse. Plus fewer dead trees.

-B

Not to mention far cheaper at $5 US. The physical copy is nearly $20. I don't mind the minor content like a tutorial from a producer being omitted in the digital version. I'm mostly interested in the plugins!
BERFAB
KVRAF

Postby BERFAB; Fri Aug 19, 2016 10:58 am Re: computer music mag

pc2000 wrote:
BERFAB wrote:I get why people like the actual DVD, but it's getting to be a bit of a dinosaur, no? The Vault system they have in place is a pretty good one. Love the digital version of the mag, too. Easier to browse. Plus fewer dead trees.

-B

Not to mention far cheaper at $5 US. The physical copy is nearly $20. I don't mind the minor content like a tutorial from a producer being omitted in the digital version. I'm mostly interested in the plugins!

That's actually the beauty of the TrackSpark model. $2 and change for pile of loops, VST/i and tutorials. No magazine. Genius.
Berfab
Numanoid
KVRAF

Postby Numanoid; Fri Aug 19, 2016 11:44 am Re: computer music mag

I like the mags, but not having to collect paper.

So to get them in PDF or online solutions like Zinio is what I prefer now.
bachmaninoff
KVRist

239 posts since 28 Jul, 2003, from Whidbey Island, WA

Postby bachmaninoff; Sat Aug 20, 2016 12:06 pm Re: computer music mag

thecontrolcentre wrote:The last 3 or 4 issues have the cover disc ... free Tone2 Warmverb this month.

What a great plugin! This is a fantastic value...
Bachmaninoff
Next

Moderator: Moderators (Main)

Return to Everything Else (Music related)