Login / Register 0 items | $0.00 New @ KVR
Anacondre
KVRer

4 posts since 21 May, 2018

Postby Anacondre; Mon May 21, 2018 12:08 pm Hearing and EQ to compensate

Hello, I would like to hear from you how people with hearing loss could compensate their hearing loss in a mixing context.

I know compensating hearing is not necessary, that we can learn to reference etc. But here I would speake about solutions to get the best of our ears using "artificial" solutions.

I saw that some companies created headphones with hearing test integrated.

The most precise is the Audeara headphones with a test wich go up to 20khz with 32 bands (instead of 4 with an ENT !!) tested. And their headphones are calibrated too (not the headphones itselves, but the hearing test).

But, from what I read on KVR and Gearslutz, people does not agree with it.

Basically, they said that trying to correct hearing with an EQ is not working because :

1. the brain compensate already
2. "hearing is much more complex than just frequencies".
3. Boosting frequencies is dangerous

I am not an audiologist (neither the "agains't eq" people), but here is what I answer :

1. What make you saying that the brain compensate ? If you have a hole at 4khz, go to en ENT and do a hearing test : you will end with your hearing loss treshold. The brain does not compensate, as it have no action with our hearing thresholds.
I only agree with the fact we get used to what we hear, wich may be what people consider to be "brain compensation".

I am not a scientist, but in no way the brain do real compensation.

2. "hearing is much more complex than just frequencies".

So why do we test your frequencies treshold when doing an hearing test ?

Of course there is a lot of things than just frequencies. There is the ability do understand words for example.

But, the essential is frequencies response. When you do your mixing job, this is your hearing treshold wich determine how good/bad you will perceive sounds...

When you loose hearing, it is because some of your haircells died. Haircells role is to detect frequencies. So basically we can scientifically claims that in general loosing hearing = loosing haircells = loosing frequencies.
That make sense that an EQ is going to be a savior for most of the case.

3. "Boosting frequencies is dangerous" I agree with it. That's why if I get the headphones and only if their hearing test is calibrated (it is the case of the Audeara ones) I would recreate the curve on a 32 bands EQ to use it only with my monitors and not with headphones, all of that with a low volume.

So yes, the goal of this thread is to determine how good can be an EQ to compensate for hearing loss (considering you did hearing test and know precisely the amount of your hearing loss).

I think the main mistake is to consider the EQ solely.

After all, it looks like ears glasses, no ?
Last edited by Anacondre on Mon May 21, 2018 12:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
vurt
addled muppet weed

35291 posts since 25 Jan, 2003, from through the looking glass

Postby vurt; Mon May 21, 2018 12:14 pm Re: Hearing and EQ to compensate

Anacondre wrote:Hello, I would like to hear from you how people with hearing loss could compensate their hearing loss.

ear trumpet.
Anacondre
KVRer

Postby Anacondre; Mon May 21, 2018 12:16 pm Re: Hearing and EQ to compensate

Not bad

ear-trumpet.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
vurt
addled muppet weed

Postby vurt; Mon May 21, 2018 12:19 pm Re: Hearing and EQ to compensate

Anacondre wrote:Not bad

ear-trumpet.jpg

looks cooler if you use a monocle rather than glasses too.
glasses make you look like a nerd, monocle like a sinister scientist or german general in an old war film.

and ear trumpets are just cool, no matter.
Hink
Rad Grandad

26846 posts since 5 Sep, 2003, from Downeast Maine

Postby Hink; Mon May 21, 2018 12:27 pm Re: Hearing and EQ to compensate

:dog:
got any good fish stories? Let minnow
Anacondre
KVRer

Postby Anacondre; Mon May 21, 2018 12:28 pm Re: Hearing and EQ to compensate

Hink wrote::dog:

Why ?
vurt
addled muppet weed

Postby vurt; Mon May 21, 2018 12:30 pm Re: Hearing and EQ to compensate

don't you dare disagree with me.
you know all the cool kids are using ear trumpets down the mall.
vurt
addled muppet weed

Postby vurt; Mon May 21, 2018 12:32 pm Re: Hearing and EQ to compensate

Anacondre wrote:

Why ?

hes not cool, down with the kids like.
he thinks ear trumpets are like fidget spinners, just a passing fad.
jancivil
KVRAF

14246 posts since 20 Oct, 2007, from No Location

Postby jancivil; Mon May 21, 2018 12:32 pm Re: Hearing and EQ to compensate

You can't EQ what you aren't hearing, I'd say. I seriously, gravely doubt there is any compensatory mechanism that's meaningful, based in choices I have heard made where there is specific loss reported. A matter of science, though and I'm no scientist and haven't had to research it at all, so that's just anecdotal.

Highly skeptical about "the brain compensate[s]"; seems likely to really mean "we get used to what we hear".
Hink
Rad Grandad

26846 posts since 5 Sep, 2003, from Downeast Maine

Postby Hink; Mon May 21, 2018 12:40 pm Re: Hearing and EQ to compensate

vurt wrote:
Anacondre wrote:

Why ?

hes not cool, down with the kids like.
he thinks ear trumpets are like fidget spinners, just a passing fad.

what? Can you speak up sonny? Actually it simply amazes me how many people sign up to KvR just to ask hearing questions, who'da thunk it :shrug:
got any good fish stories? Let minnow
Anacondre
KVRer

Postby Anacondre; Mon May 21, 2018 12:45 pm Re: Hearing and EQ to compensate

jancivil wrote:You can't EQ what you aren't hearing, I'd say. I seriously, gravely doubt there is any compensatory mechanism that's meaningful, based in choices I have heard made where there is specific loss reported. A matter of science, though and I'm no scientist and haven't had to research it at all, so that's just anecdotal.

Highly skeptical about "the brain compensate[s]"; seems likely to really mean "we get used to what we hear".

I agree with you.

But you can eq what you are hearing less, right ?

For example, my parents hearing stop at 9khz. I can take for example a 11khz signal and put it very loud, they would hear nothing. So yes they could not compensate their hearing with an EQ.

BUT ! Let say you have an attenuation of a specific amount of db at 15 khz (for example), boosting the signal of the same amount should correct hearing to near than "perfect" hearing (i.e 0db of hl)

IMO it may or may not be super accuracy but it would make you closer to normal hearing
vurt
addled muppet weed

Postby vurt; Mon May 21, 2018 12:46 pm Re: Hearing and EQ to compensate

Hink wrote:Actually it simply amazes me how many people sign up to KvR just to ask hearing questions, who'da thunk it :shrug:

yeah, youd think by now there would have been more than one :lol:
jancivil
KVRAF

14246 posts since 20 Oct, 2007, from No Location

Postby jancivil; Mon May 21, 2018 1:06 pm Re: Hearing and EQ to compensate

If this is about can you mix with significant loss, you can do what you want but the people who hear up there are going to notice in all probability. If this is the same poster we always see wanting to validate that they can mix well with significant loss, forget it as far as mixing for anybody else's experience, knock yourself out with it for your own hobby and interests.
AcSy303
KVRer

8 posts since 15 May, 2018

Postby AcSy303; Mon May 21, 2018 1:11 pm Re: Hearing and EQ to compensate

jancivil wrote:If this is about can you mix with significant loss, you can do what you want but the people who hear up there are going to notice in all probability. If this is the same poster we always see wanting to validate that they can mix well with significant loss, forget it as far as mixing for anybody else's experience, knock yourself out with it for your own hobby and interests.

??? What about learning to compensate ?
BertKoor
KVRAF

10329 posts since 8 Mar, 2005, from Utrecht, Holland

Postby BertKoor; Mon May 21, 2018 1:19 pm Re: Hearing and EQ to compensate

Hink wrote:Actually it simply amazes me how many people sign up to KvR just to ask hearing questions, who'da thunk it :shrug:
That, and here we have twice as much Munroe Eggs for sale second hand, than ever left the factory!
We are the KVR collective. Resistance is futile. You will be assimilated. Image
My MusicCalc is back online!!

Moderator: Moderators (Main)

Return to Everything Else (Music related)