ATC-1! (Damn it! Livingsounds was right!!!!!! well somewhat right)

Anything about hardware musical instruments.
RELATED
PRODUCTS

How about complementing your littlePhatty with one of the new and very expensive Taurus's by Moog
Geddy Lee, Chris Squire and John Wetton can have 'em, LOL! I got the HollowSun Taurus samples for $20 and I'm good (since those pedals are largely synonymous with that one droning bass sound and aren't really a tweaker's instrument, they're readily replaced by sampling, IMO). They are pretty snazzy-looking things though, aren't they? If I was independently wealthy, they'd probably be cool to have around just to have them around.

The way the Polaris' panel is designed is rather unfortunate, Scot. The last one I looked at on eBay claimed to have had its ribbon cable "replaced," but who knows how well the job was done. It's too bad, since it's about the only analog poly that can still be had for under $1G that has a sound that really grabbed me while listening to demos. Granted, they often go cheap enough that you could buy 4 or 5 of them for the cost of one OB-Xa and have spares, LOL, but still, it's a bit disconcerting to get the lowdown on what's under the hood.
http://www.davidvector.com
New album, Chasing Fire, out now on Amazon, iTunes, etc.
Bandcamp: https://davidvector.bandcamp.com/releases

[quote="zerocrossing"
*note to PETA: The cat reference was for illustrative purposes only. My cat is generally very well behaved and not very destructive. However, she can run across walls like Trinity in The Matrix.

[edit]Shortly after writing that I discovered that said cat had destroyed a roll of toilet paper which was uncharacteristically destructive of her. Perhaps she got word of my post and is now trying harder?[/quote]

My mother's cat sophie (bless) jumped on one of my limited edition box set Gary Numan Living Ornaments long player (vinyl) records as it was playing. As you can imagine the air went blue. The record was trashed. It was his "last gig" at Wembley (UK). I have not gone to see him since those days. Fantastic at the time.

Have fun, Mark

Good advice from Scott > never have i bought anything second-hand without trying it for myself (give or take stompboxes that are easy and cheap to fix which is why i most likely bought them!)
Vectorman wrote:
How about complementing your littlePhatty with one of the new and very expensive Taurus's by Moog
Geddy Lee, Chris Squire and John Wetton can have 'em, LOL! I got the HollowSun Taurus samples for $20 and I'm good (since those pedals are largely synonymous with that one droning bass sound and aren't really a tweaker's instrument, they're readily replaced by sampling, IMO). They are pretty snazzy-looking things though, aren't they? If I was independently wealthy, they'd probably be cool to have around just to have them around.
Yeah i do agree on all points. However i admit that i would just love to have one just for a day or two and run it through a very high-quality PA system playing around the lowest register dddrroooonnneeessss possible and hope i get lucky on hitting a monster wave which catches the room's mode and makes someone involentary crap their pants mind! (a bit wierd such a desire i admit but then Earth/SunnO))) and the like are normal listening for me as an example). So from a tweak heads point of view then i can see them being a bit boring and lacking on that front but on the other hand this new one has CV, MIDI & USB too i think so their is potential to maybe abuse it and bully it more so than the old models - but still for that sort of money i could not justify one at (at a push i could justify a MoogerFooger pedal or two at best! and they are great sounding torment boxes) i could get two or three very nice microphones or a dream guitar amp or a custom built guitar...etc :)
and grab some samples and attempt my Taurus dream :hihi:
Vectorman wrote:The way the Polaris' panel is designed is rather unfortunate, Scot. The last one I looked at on eBay claimed to have had its ribbon cable "replaced," but who knows how well the job was done. It's too bad, since it's about the only analog poly that can still be had for under $1G that has a sound that really grabbed me while listening to demos. Granted, they often go cheap enough that you could buy 4 or 5 of them for the cost of one OB-Xa and have spares, LOL, but still, it's a bit disconcerting to get the lowdown on what's under the hood.
It sounds very hit and miss/a gamble from what you guys have said and all down to (no doubt) corner cutting when manufactured - thats a shame

All the best to you Vectorman, Scott and ZeroC

Dean :)

living sounds wrote:
waveriderarts wrote: great synth but they don't last because of membrane switches... the ribbon cable eventually dries up and crackles. Unless you have a replacement these synths are a no-no.

Mine is working perfectly, propably only part of the production run is affected.
man you are lucky!! incredible sound and features

waveriderarts wrote:
living sounds wrote:
waveriderarts wrote: great synth but they don't last because of membrane switches... the ribbon cable eventually dries up and crackles. Unless you have a replacement these synths are a no-no.

Mine is working perfectly, propably only part of the production run is affected.
man you are lucky!! incredible sound and features
The only thing that bothers me about it is that it distorts at certain settings. Maybe I should recap it some day...

NEKRO.MACHINE wrote:
zerocrossing wrote:
NEKRO.MACHINE wrote:
zerocrossing wrote:
NEKRO.MACHINE wrote:Glad to hear you have found what you have been searching for ZeroCrossings man :tu:

It comes down to physical space for alot of people also (i would imagine), with me being included big time! in the position of needing/wanting/lusting/demanding...etc for alot more space to accommodate my equipment and GAS (It is a condition IMO but a good one :lol: ). Although i have no big synths i have quite a few guitar amplifiers and bass amplifiers, a rut load of pedals...never would or could i sacrifice them for virtual alternatives. They do it *better* and sound exactly the way i want them to do.

I just need more room, you know?

All the best Dean/Nekro

*Better = How I Like It, Not An Analogue Vs. Digital Putdown :)
It's funny, I turned away from guitar amps (odd I'm so fixated on synths for a guy who' s mainly a guitarist) because of their bulk and more importantly, their inability to sound like I want them to at low volumes. :hihi: So SHUT UP about guitar amps! You're going to make me buy an AC30TB or something! :lol: So while I'm fully aware that a real well engineered guitar is going to give you a sound and playing experience that's out of the range of any digital guitar amp modeler. However, I live in a condo. Even though it's townhouse style and modern and very well insulated, I do have neighbors and, well there's the wife who probably would smack me with a frying pan if I opened up a Bassman to the point where I over drove the output stage. Plus, there's my love affair with using audio loopers that started with the Lexicon JamMan and when you're building up a digital delay line set up on 100% feedback you're going to have a mess if you try and mic an amp.
Have you tried out or had a chance to try out Blackstar Amplification's HT-5 5-Watt all-valve head? it does pristine clean to full-on metal high-gain with a decent OD pedal in-front of it and its very small. Im not saying you need one but try one out if you see one in a store mate :)

Sorry to add to your GAS Syndrome FWIW ZeroCrossings man

Dean
YOU BASTARD! :lol: Are you kidding. This is kvraudio.com. If we're not here for G.A.S I don't know what we're here for. ;)

I did find a clip on youtube of said amp and it does indeed sound sweet. I wonder how a recording from it's simulated cab out sounds...
Its quite a hot signal/sound (not in level but speaker tone/you know a little aggressive) but still very usable and you can switch between a simulated response of either a 1x12 and a more beefy 4x12...really if i was only able to have one amp for home recording then i reckon the Blackstar would get the nod (I can't run my DSL, TSL, Vox & Ampeg gear at anywhere near to getting any power-amp compression going on but i can with the HT-5). Maybe i will do some clips of it if i get a chance ;)

All the best to you

Dean
CLIPS PLEASE! I also see they have a stomp box version... that would make more sense space wise, though I guess the head isn't that large. I'm just thinking that a full combo amp would just take up space. I guess I probably could find some fun cranking up an amp every now and then... just like the good ol' days.
Zerocrossing Media

4th Law of Robotics: When turning evil, display a red indicator light. ~[ ●_● ]~

I get my ATC-1 tomorrow ... can't wait. :party:

thecontrolcentre wrote:I get my ATC-1 tomorrow ... can't wait. :party:
Welcome to the club!

Now I just have to order a damn manual. Retarded that there's no pdf available for download.
Zerocrossing Media

4th Law of Robotics: When turning evil, display a red indicator light. ~[ ●_● ]~

Just listened to a few ATC-1 demos on youtube, this thing sounds awesome. The SE-1 is great for bass, but it sounds like the ATC-1 may trump it at the higher notes. Does yours have the discrete VCA?

Really got enough synths though...

living sounds wrote:Just listened to a few ATC-1 demos on youtube, this thing sounds awesome. The SE-1 is great for bass, but it sounds like the ATC-1 may trump it at the higher notes. Does yours have the discrete VCA?

Really got enough synths though...
Discrete VCA... No idea. I didn't get a manual for it. Did they change the design at some point?

If you need some space, you can always send me something. There's a polysynth shaped hole in my life. :hihi:
Zerocrossing Media

zerocrossing wrote:
thecontrolcentre wrote:I get my ATC-1 tomorrow ... can't wait. :party:
Welcome to the club!
zerocrossing wrote:Now I just have to order a damn manual. Retarded that there's no pdf available for download.
There's a manual with mine, but the front panel needs replacing. I'm going to buy the OS upgrade too, I think (not sure what it includes tbh).

zerocrossing wrote:
Discrete VCA... No idea. I didn't get a manual for it. Did they change the design at some point?
Yes, the manual, they refuse to put pdfs online for their gear, you have to order it in paper form for 20 bucks (and it's nothing more than a few sheets of xeroxed paper)... Not very clever from a marketing standpoint IMO.

There is an upgrade kit in their online shop for the VCA, I don't know any more about it. They seem to customize their gear quite a lot. My SE-1 has an additional small pcb with a discrete 24db filter (instead of the usual IC based)...
zerocrossing wrote: If you need some space, you can always send me something. There's a polysynth shaped hole in my life. :hihi:
Only got one of those, and it stays. ;-) What I meant was, I've got enough synths to make music, I'm not a collector by any means (and don't like the idea at all). But that ATC-1 sure sounds nice... ;-)

Vectorman wrote:This view seemed to be supported by a multi-sampled ATC-1 bass that came in the core Kontakt library...I found a song for which it worked, and it just dropped nicely into the mix without any EQ at all.
Trilian has some ATC patches that are also good representations of the synth. Here is a snippet of one of my tracks in which every sound is either an ATC or a drum sample:

http://www.jrrshop.com/eric/eric_dahlbe ... nipped.mp3

living sounds wrote: Yes, the manual, they refuse to put pdfs online for their gear, you have to order it in paper form for 20 bucks (and it's nothing more than a few sheets of xeroxed paper)... Not very clever from a marketing standpoint IMO.

There is an upgrade kit in their online shop for the VCA, I don't know any more about it. They seem to customize their gear quite a lot. My SE-1 has an additional small pcb with a discrete 24db filter (instead of the usual IC based)...
zerocrossing wrote: If you need some space, you can always send me something. There's a polysynth shaped hole in my life. :hihi:
Only got one of those, and it stays. ;-) What I meant was, I've got enough synths to make music, I'm not a collector by any means (and don't like the idea at all). But that ATC-1 sure sounds nice... ;-)
Yeah, the $20 thing is making me mad as I know it couldn't be that much of a manual. This thing is pretty simple over all. I wouldn't care at all except for some of the codes are a bit cryptic.

As for the VCA... judging by the box I may not even be the second owner but I guess I could send a note to the fellow who sold it to me. Nice guy in SF who was needed the money to buy and ARP 2600. He had quite a nice collection.
Zerocrossing Media

ATC-1 is great machine without doubts. I have it with all 4 filters - Moog, Arp, Obi and TB. Great tune btw in first post!
Too bad that envelopes isn't analog, but digital (as well LFO's). Sometimes I feel they aren't fast enough. Ouch and unit is a little noisy, but overall 9 from 10 sound and features wise.

o.

Return to “Hardware (Instruments and Effects)”