ALCHEMY - Jazzyspoon and Eko Centrik (sazb30)

Share your music, collaborate, and partake in monthly music contests.
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Okay, so I have been sitting on this remix since somewhere around September/October of last year. Sorry, Sarah, it's been an emotionally occupying year. :( Now that I am reaching a finishing stage with it, I thought I would get some feedback from you guys on the mix.
Any and all feedback is welcome, please.

Update 8/28/2012: Finished this long ago and never came back and linked to the updated finished version. This turned into more of a collab than a remix, but here it is:

http://soundcloud.com/jazzyspoon/alchemy-ekocentrik-and

The original f'ing beautiful track is here.

I hope I haven't shamed her track by this, but this version kind of reminds me of Dido, ETBTG, and a few other 90's fem trip hop bands. The original really said all that need to be said, imo, but I was glad to get a chance to remix this.

As always, thanks for listening. I'll do what I can to accomplish what you think it may need.:)

edit: mix updated 4/11
Last edited by Jazzyspoon on Thu Sep 27, 2012 3:46 pm, edited 4 times in total.

That's gorgeous Jazzy. I'm a fan of the original too. Really nice clear well balanced mix, I wouldn't really expect anything less from you these days.

I love the intro and the transition into the verse.

I'm going to be listening to this all night :) CHeers for the awesome music.

Second that, quite different but just as lovely as I remember the original to be. For me the drums, effects (that vocal distortion is awesome!), variations and treatments balance out the "dido guitar" nicely and keep it from going full trip hop... :)

Thanks for sharing.

Nice, thanks fellas. I was having so much fun that I couldn't stop adding guitar layers to this, but I was definitely aware when I was making it that it was on the edge of being straight-up-super-smacks-sugar-pop. I have been debating over that fact for a few months before finally deciding to just accept that this is where I am most inspired to take this track and finish/share it. Glad to know it has retained some integrity, after all. :)
Thanks for checking it out. :)

wow, love it Jazzy! especially that intro... delicious :-) Really dig the walls of distoriton that build as the track develops, and the ending too. It's a really cool blend of poppy triphop and a more gritty electronica. It's great!! :D

Thanks so much, I know it's been a busy year for you and it really means a lot that you've found the time to remix this... especially since it was dedicated to you in the first place! :hug: :hug:

Very cool remix.

I've been sitting on these vocals for ages as well. Two binned false starts on top of that, I can't seem to get the right groove going!

Anyhoo.

I'm not sure I see the EBTG/Dido connection but it's certainly a powerful combination of trippy vocals and cutting acoustic guitars. I kept waiting for the bassline to drop a third in the chorus instead of going up a third and got quite frustrated with it, but that's really my need for resolution! :hihi:

The epic original has been matched in epicosity.

Tres cool 8)

Yeah Man!!!

I like the guitar tone/groove. The drum core(ish) snare-keeps things interesting & moving along.

Very nice job indeed Jazzy!

Thanks for sharing.

i love your work on this...it's a great song, and i've been going nuts waiting for this!!! you are certainly doing it justice, imo. i wouldn't really worry about the genre so much. it's good music, period.

i'm jotting things down as i listen...so, in order, complete awe interspersed with a smattering of pretty retentive nitpicks:
1. excellent intro.
2. the dropout of drums at 1:58 kinda kills the momentum for me...it just seems like a little...too little...too soon, if that makes any sense. the guitar and drum fill build up to something that just...doesn't happen, so it feels like a bit of a stall.
3. i love the bridge (2:17), the drums are perfect. using the chorus' guitar part here is a GREAT idea! the subdued verse following that is likewise excellent.
4. the drum fill around 3:13 is a little jarring...sounds like a missed beat or similar (i know it's a WIP, it sounds like it's just an edit thing?).
5. the lack of drums in the bridge at 3:15 works beautifully after the subdued verse. it's a wonderful floaty feel that is sympathetic to the lyrics preceding it.
6. there is no rule 6!
7. i LOVE the drum variation that comes in @ 3:33!
8. it sounds like there's an errant tail end of a tom hit around 4:09 (again, a WIP edit thing?).
9. the chorus/bridge guitar part under the pre-chorus vocals (4:13) is BRILLIANT.
10. i appreciate the variation for the final chorus at the end, but it seems almost a shame that the lushness of the first chorus isn't there for the "last hurrah", especially after the preceding part seems to build toward that.
11. i really like the distorted gtr. it adds a nice texture. i especially love the feedback, etc at the end.
12. i love the way you use/cut the verbs, and your effect usage in general. the sound choices and overall vibe of your production suits the song beautifully. you can't really give much higher praise than that, imo.

great work. thanks for not making us wait any longer to see how it's coming along!

cheers!
k

sazb30 wrote:wow, love it Jazzy! especially that intro... delicious :-) Really dig the walls of distoriton that build as the track develops, and the ending too. It's a really cool blend of poppy triphop and a more gritty electronica. It's great!! :D

Thanks so much, I know it's been a busy year for you and it really means a lot that you've found the time to remix this... especially since it was dedicated to you in the first place! :hug: :hug:
It makes my day that you like this, Sarah. I may do one more run through this weekend with the mix and we'll call this finished.

@tehlord and any1particular. I really appreciate you taking the time to listen. Glad to know that I might be just overthinking about the genre/style.

kelldammit wrote:i love your work on this...it's a great song, and i've been going nuts waiting for this!!! you are certainly doing it justice, imo. i wouldn't really worry about the genre so much. it's good music, period.

i'm jotting things down as i listen...so, in order, complete awe interspersed with a smattering of pretty retentive nitpicks:
1. excellent intro.
2. the dropout of drums at 1:58 kinda kills the momentum for me...it just seems like a little...too little...too soon, if that makes any sense. the guitar and drum fill build up to something that just...doesn't happen, so it feels like a bit of a stall.
3. i love the bridge (2:17), the drums are perfect. using the chorus' guitar part here is a GREAT idea! the subdued verse following that is likewise excellent.
4. the drum fill around 3:13 is a little jarring...sounds like a missed beat or similar (i know it's a WIP, it sounds like it's just an edit thing?).
5. the lack of drums in the bridge at 3:15 works beautifully after the subdued verse. it's a wonderful floaty feel that is sympathetic to the lyrics preceding it.
6. there is no rule 6!
7. i LOVE the drum variation that comes in @ 3:33!
8. it sounds like there's an errant tail end of a tom hit around 4:09 (again, a WIP edit thing?).
9. the chorus/bridge guitar part under the pre-chorus vocals (4:13) is BRILLIANT.
10. i appreciate the variation for the final chorus at the end, but it seems almost a shame that the lushness of the first chorus isn't there for the "last hurrah", especially after the preceding part seems to build toward that.
11. i really like the distorted gtr. it adds a nice texture. i especially love the feedback, etc at the end.
12. i love the way you use/cut the verbs, and your effect usage in general. the sound choices and overall vibe of your production suits the song beautifully. you can't really give much higher praise than that, imo.

great work. thanks for not making us wait any longer to see how it's coming along!

cheers!
k
Wow, I sincerely appreciate this. I can work with that feedback (#4,#8, and #10 are particularly helpful- I didn't even notice that stray tom). I'll try to bring back the lushness of the 2nd chorus, good idea. Seriously, thank you.

This is really great Jazzy. Sarah - I think I have said it before - you sing like an angel :)

Mix updated per the feedback given. Thanks, again, guys. You, too, KungKrille. :)

first bump...

Sounds great to me! Love it :D

Sounds really good but the voice, i think its dull sounding maybe needs a good eq on the Highs

Return to “Music Cafe”