The Journey East - psychedelic prog rock/metal (no vocals) with eastern themed melodies

Share your music, collaborate, and partake in monthly music contests.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

The Journey East

This has a solid 4/4 riff based groovy tempo, no guitar wanking (well some where appropriate) and no vocals not to scare anyone off with the prog label, I only call it that because of the evolving cinematic structure. But it has sort of a driving dance groove all the way through once the main song theme starts, no odd time signatures etc. It has it's peaks and buildups. Just listen to it.

Ok, so I have not posted many of my complete songs, if at all. I might have posted a terribly mixed version of this a few years back in some thread and not the music cafe. I have a couple other "songs" that could fit some sort of "journey" album concept with this one

This song was originally recorded in 2005/2006 at some point, and was a collaboration with a friend, after a night of jamming, and we sat down at his computer and he asked me about the improv riffs I was playing while he was on the drums. He kept telling me to play them, and before long he had constructed a drum loop track, and he said let's record this cool idea and make this a song. I played all the guitar parts, save for one four bar section in the middle break, and he played the crazy chromatic solos after the middle break. He also laid down an incredible bass line on a real bass guitar that drives the song along, and is almost the focal point of the song. That was the main song idea, and then I expanded on it over a period of time. I wanted to make this kind of a prog track, with not just guitars being the main focus (something I had never really done or accomplished).

I added a kind of cinematic intro. Like the name of the track, I wanted to take the listener on a journey, so it doesn't start out jamming right away. I added ear synth candy and hand percussion loops to give it some ethnic theme to go along with the scale structure, and then I came up with the name and concept.

This was done on mostly free "vintage" vst/vsti (Does 5 years in the vst world make it vintage?):hihi: .

This was recorded and mainly mixed on his studio computer, and the individual project tracks eventually got lost/deleted, so the main guitars/bass/drums and some synths are not fixable now. The tracks has gone through a few additions and "Mastering/finalizing" incarnations, and frankly we did not know too much about mixing 5 years ago. So most of the song is as is from that period. I recently did a re-master if you can call it that, to try and fix certain problems. I think it is now presentable to the music cafe. I tried to polish a turd the best I could :lol:

original Equipement used:
'81 Gibson Les Paul Custom tobacco burst with Seymour Duncan pickups and coil tap option

'93 Gibson Les Paul Standard with it's default humbuckers

Bass was either a Cort or higher end Ibanez, maybe something else, but it had really punchy tone. It was black, that's all I can really remember

rack of Behringer "tube" rack preamp, EQ, Compressor, Stereo Widener,into M-Audio 2496 soundcard. Also used my M-Audio Mobile Pre USB.

Guitar Rig 1

Drums on Demand loops

various indian percussion/tabla loops/field recordings

E-MU X-Board 49 midi controller (all parts played, I can't program to save my life)

Soundfonts (sitar, eastern stringed instruments)

Gunnar's Minimouge vsti

Crystal vsti

Synth1

one of the free mellotron vsti

Ariesverb or another free reverb, possibly Ambience

This is great track... with a few minor problems.

The intro is a bit long and wondering. The bass,which you say is supposed to be the focal point, is largely lost in the mix (like all it's mid-range has been low-passed out). The out-of-range guitar part near the end is just annoying.

It's kinda prog like Zeppelin could be prog or Tea Party could sound like Zep being kinda prog. The guitar sounds alternative '80s. Like Steve Vai on PIL. Nice mix of influences and moods and eras.

Overall I very much enjoyed it.

"They're here..."

This kind of reminds me of Rush a bit; like Rush, but in straight-ahead 4/4 as you were saying. It could be that it reminds the listener of multiple artists simultaneously.

The bass level sounds ok from here, but if it's the focal point of the song, could use a bit more 'punch' or something.

The guitar playing is quite tasty overall.

Very good.
It sounds very good here.
Very vreative effort on your side, original melodies and arrangement.
I enjoyed it, energy rock thing with an eastern feel. Excellent guitar tone and nice touch.

Cheers

Return to “Music Cafe”