Request a tutorial here

Official support for: photosounder.com
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

The consensus seems to be that Photosounder definitely needs more tutorial videos. The only things that get in my way of doing that is ideas and samples. I don't always know what to do, and when I do I can't find a suitable sample to use!

So in this thread you can simply request a tutorial and provide the sample for me to do it with. If I find it feasible I'll make a video tutorial out of it complete with all the annotations needed to reproduce it.
Developer of Photosounder (a spectral editor/synth), SplineEQ and Spiral

Hi,
could you possibly add written notes to go along with the videos. You wiz through pretty fast and theres so many steps on some of them, trying to pause and rewind a Youtube video multiple times and copy your actions in Photosounder is a pretty painful :cry:

Thanks for all the hardwirk your putting into this by the way 8)

I don't have a particular sample in mind but I would like a better understanding of how layers work and interact. I bought Photosounder a while ago and I think, bearing in mind the addition of layers, it would probably benefit from a more standard windows/mac gui with some graphical depiction of layers in use, in the style of Photoshop et al.

Mart.
γνῶθι σαὐτόν

VariKusBrainZ wrote:Hi,
could you possibly add written notes to go along with the videos. You wiz through pretty fast and theres so many steps on some of them, trying to pause and rewind a Youtube video multiple times and copy your actions in Photosounder is a pretty painful :cry:

Thanks for all the hardwirk your putting into this by the way 8)
Actually I think I'm gonna go through most tutorials and recreate them and save them as a new kind of .pha (Photosounder Archive) file, which will save all the actions done in a recipe style list of actions (that's what I'm working on at the moment, every possible input to Photosounder is saved to a file which is just a plain-text list of commands and parameters and that can be loaded as such. I'm done with the saving part and almost done with the loading part). So anyway I'll make such a file for each video, and you'll be able to have a look at it or even load it in Photosounder and make it step through each step (that's most likely what you'll want to do once it's implemented). And I'll use it to make a concise list of steps too. Right now the raw ouput in question looks like this :

Code: Select all

Photosounder Archive v1.1
Time 2010-10-07 07:28:54
Title " "

Clear image
Dimensions 1221 px x 571 px
Frequency range 27.5 Hz - 20000 Hz
Time resolution 100
Synthesis noise

New layer "Layer 0"
Blending addition
Gamma 1

Selected layer 0

Time +13.09 s
Central convolution point 76 px , 386 px

Draw white spray
Point size 2 px x 2 px
Units px,px
Point intensity 0.25
Harmonics 730
Lines
76      	385.696 	T+0.000s

Time +3.53 s
Operation horizontal average

Time +1.41 s
New layer "Layer 1"

Time +5.48 s
Central convolution point 0 px , 532 px

Draw white spray
Point size 2 px x 2 px
Units px,px
Point intensity 0.25
Harmonics 0
Lines
0       	532.163 	T+0.000s
24      	515.075 	T+0.010s
66      	478.458 	T+0.007s
109     	417.43  	T+0.009s
171     	314.904 	T+0.008s
202     	256.317 	T+0.008s
243     	196.51  	T+0.007s
315     	129.379 	T+0.007s
480     	53.7045 	T+0.007s
537     	101.306 	T+0.007s
605     	219.7   	T+0.007s
758     	441.842 	T+0.007s
890     	510.193 	T+0.017s
987     	513.854 	T+0.009s
1081    	523.619 	T+0.011s
1182    	532.163 	T+0.008s
1279    	506.531 	T+0.009s

Time +4.45 s
Operation fill to bottom

Time +4.61 s
Move layer +0 px x +43 px

Time +8.83 s
Operation vertical average

Time +2.08 s
Blending multiplication

It contains all the input and so Photosounder will be able to load it, execute each operation one after the other and give you the same result you had to begin with. You can also edit it by hand, for example, I deleted a bunch of dots (after the Lines line) by hand for the sake of terseness, so now when you load the file again the curve I drew is a bunch of long interconnected straight lines.

kingtubby wrote:I don't have a particular sample in mind but I would like a better understanding of how layers work and interact. I bought Photosounder a while ago and I think, bearing in mind the addition of layers, it would probably benefit from a more standard windows/mac gui with some graphical depiction of layers in use, in the style of Photoshop et al.

Mart.
Well, I considered it but couldn't think of a way it'd fit nicely in the GUI. Finally I decided that it'd be simpler to make just a menu. However, I thought about it yet some more and I think I had a pretty good idea : instead of a small box for a list of layers like Photoshop has (and with preview icons about as large as your mouse cursor), I'll make a whole screen that will depict each layer with its preview, and arrange them to depict how they're interconnected, how they are grouped, and controls to rearrange the order of layers/groups of layers, disable them, change their blending, etc... This way you'd get a good look at how layers and groups are organised but also a good way to organise them. So, that's on my TODO list.

That 'scripting' feature sounds pretty cool and might be open for abuse ?! :D

VariKusBrainZ wrote:That 'scripting' feature sounds pretty cool and might be open for abuse ?! :D
lol, what kind of abuse do you have in mind?

Anyway, yeah, the first step (PHA v1.0, in Photosounder 1.8.2) was all about just saving the state of the projects, now the second step (PHA v1.1 in the upcoming Photosounder 1.8.3) is simply about recording what goes on in the program as to be able to reproduce it, with of course the possibility of editing it by hand (or by third party program who knows), but it's really going to be limited to just the necessary commands to record the actions of the users. In later iterations I'll add some extra stuff, the focus then being to enable 3rd party apps to do all they should be able to do by communicating with Photosounder through a TCP/IP connection (for example instead of drawing lines with coordinates in pixels you might want to send commands with coordinates in Hz and seconds, or you might need commands to ask Photosounder to send data back to the program, that kind of thing). Eventually I'll probably turn that into a .dll so that Photosounder (minus the GUI) could be used as a sound engine for an external program. If I manage to make a good live synthesis algorithm then it'll be a pretty great engine.

Anyway, more immediately, there's some pretty cool benefits that will come from that in the next release. I'm making it so that if you erase the Clear command in a PHA file then it doesn't erase the project in memory, which means the following commands will be applied to what you're currently working on. So that means that you could do an operation once on a sound, then edit the history file to remove the Clear command and a few other undesirable commands (like the commands to create a new layer from the start), and so everytime you'd load that edited file it would apply the same series of commands to your current project. That would work kind of like Photoshop's Actions, except more customisable/flexible but minus the dedicated GUI editor.

Excellent... 8)

Return to “Photosounder”