my version of a Tony Banks (Genesis) solo song

Share your music, collaborate, and partake in monthly music contests.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Hi guys!

Here's my take on Moving Under. Forgive the messy playing, but I'm sure you'll like the sounds I chose (kind of a tribute on Tony's great classic sounds), the electric violin standing for guitar and a couple of surprises on the ending (I just don't like the original one that much, it kinda announces the terrible fade-outs from Calling All Stations... ) rolleyes

Hope you'll like it!

Oh, and the singing's terrible, but Tony's lines and lyrics are harder to sing than one would think!!

http://soundcloud.com/herman-ringer/moving-under

This is quite good. Thanks for posting! The notes of the first part of that main vocal line; they remind me of something by ELO. (just for a second or two)

The only thing I would say is, maybe raise the overall volume up. It could be though; that most of the other stuff you hear these days is too loud, and this one is at a more acceptable overall level. ymmv

mrblitz000 wrote:This is quite good. Thanks for posting! The notes of the first part of that main vocal line; they remind me of something by ELO. (just for a second or two)

The only thing I would say is, maybe raise the overall volume up. It could be though; that most of the other stuff you hear these days is too loud, and this one is at a more acceptable overall level. ymmv

looking at the waveform I see no more room to raise the volume without destroying something. Raising the volume further would be a terrible idea imo.

Does sound a lot like ELO to my ears.
my music: http://www.alexcooperusa.com
"It's hard to be humble, when you're as great as I am." Muhammad Ali

Guys! Thanks for lending an ear!

Both of you are right: I noticed myself that the volume was low when played against any mp3 of my collection. But then again, most music these days is squeezed out of its life in order to sound LOUD. The infamous loudness war...

Strange, I love the ELO and still never noticed any similarities!

WOW! NICE!
You must be the *other* person who bought this record on earth besides me.
LOL

Seriously, I love that record, and your version is rather well done considering you don't have his recording budget.

lionscub68 wrote:WOW! NICE!
LOL

Seriously, I love that record, and your version is rather well done considering you don't have his recording budget.
and if I may add, neither have I a recording and mixing engineer! ;-)

What puzzles me by the comments on a Genesis forum where I posted the link, is why nobody seemed to notice the "All In A Mouse's Night" ending... 'cos Wind & Wuthering HAD it's strong sales... :?

Herman Ringer wrote:What puzzles me by the comments on a Genesis forum where I posted the link, is why nobody seemed to notice the "All In A Mouse's Night" ending... 'cos Wind & Wuthering HAD it's strong sales... :?
I knew what I heard at the end was familiar but wasn't sure what it was.

Herman Ringer wrote:Hi guys!

Here's my take on Moving Under. Forgive the messy playing, but I'm sure you'll like the sounds I chose (kind of a tribute on Tony's great classic sounds), the electric violin standing for guitar and a couple of surprises on the ending (I just don't like the original one that much, it kinda announces the terrible fade-outs from Calling All Stations... ) rolleyes

Hope you'll like it!

Oh, and the singing's terrible, but Tony's lines and lyrics are harder to sing than one would think!!

http://soundcloud.com/herman-ringer/moving-under
Good job. Thank you for doing this.

Herman Ringer wrote:Guys! Thanks for lending an ear!

Both of you are right: I noticed myself that the volume was low when played against any mp3 of my collection. But then again, most music these days is squeezed out of its life in order to sound LOUD. The infamous loudness war...

Strange, I love the ELO and still never noticed any similarities!
Loudness is as much in perception as it is in the amplitude of the waveform.

Your track might "sound a lot louder" if you moved some of the instruments out front more and pushed the vocals underneath. Much easier said than done, I realize.

lionscub68 wrote:WOW! NICE!
LOL
Make that three. Thanks for the trip down memory lane.

Return to “Music Cafe”