Never done ambient before

Share your music, collaborate, and partake in monthly music contests.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

I don't know if this fits into the genre, what would you classify this as?

Distant Storm

I normally do pop, dance, dnb so this is quite the departure for me. I've done it for a vocalist I met but she said there's too much going on!! (This is incredibly sparse for me)

What ch'all think?

Thanks in advance :D

Really cool ideas I think. I've been getting into more ambient lately as well so I was keen to hear what another convert came up with.

You've made a decent selection of sound choices and some very cool melodic riffs as well.

I think the vocalist may have a point, although not a huge one.

I think that initial delayed and panned rhythmic loop needs to be tamed down a lot, after a few bars it becomes annoying. Maybe fade it out when the kick comes in and save it for later, perhaps covered in reverb during a break?

Speaking of which, the kick has way too much oomph for me. It's transient is overwhelming everything else and killing what could be some nice wide chords in the background. It needs to woof rather than bark :wink:

The metallic arp is a little present too.

I really like what you've done so far though 8)

I thought this song was very tastefully done. I don't believe the orchestration would interfere with a vocalist - there is a lot of sonic 'space'. If the lyrics are slow paced and have a lot of breathy vowels, it would fit like a champ - even if there was a 2nd harmony added. Sort of like the band Delerium.

Thanks for the feedback, tehlord, good points that metallic loop could fit in better, I guess I just liked it and wanted it to be heard ;)

And the kick, I'm used to giving things oompf lol

Guess I'll tone things down :)

And number23, yup, I agree, we're on the same page :D

I've spoken to her since and she basically just wanted a percussion loop which is very different from the 'brief' she gave me initially. So I now see that ANY intstrumentation is gonna be too much!!

scoobz wrote: I've spoken to her since and she basically just wanted a percussion loop which is very different from the 'brief' she gave me initially. So I now see that ANY intstrumentation is gonna be too much!!

Welcome to the world of vocalists :hihi:

lol, I've been working with vocalists for like 14 years, some hi-end, some absolute beginners. This one has a great tone and natural ability but lacks knowledge about the 'process' and the technicalities.

So it's more like welcome back to the world of inexperienced vocalists :D

The first time I had a 'pro' in my studio I was astounded, I didn't have to do anything, no eq or compression (other than preamp), no pitch correction, nothing!

Working with someone who doesn't know what they want can be frustrating but hey, it's got me trying something I wouldn't have done normally so it's all good :D

I found myself mentally +1'ing at your entire post :roll:

lol thanks bud :tu:

Return to “Music Cafe”