One-Synth-Challenge: General discussion thread

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

For some ideas I'd like to know if plugins simulating Space Echo / Tape Echo are allowed. Thanks.

MTLE wrote:For some ideas I'd like to know if plugins simulating Space Echo / Tape Echo are allowed. Thanks.
Reverb & delay are allowed, so probably yes unless the delay is so short as to create an entirely new sound. E.g. like a phaser/flanger and such.

z.prime wrote:
MTLE wrote:For some ideas I'd like to know if plugins simulating Space Echo / Tape Echo are allowed. Thanks.
Reverb & delay are allowed, so probably yes unless the delay is so short as to create an entirely new sound. E.g. like a phaser/flanger and such.
I was thinking about long delays that create a kind of loop, but was not sure if this would be comparable with sampling. Technical it is almost the same with no physical sample. The question is more theoretical since I found something different to realize my idea.

MTLE wrote:
z.prime wrote:
I was thinking about long delays that create a kind of loop, but was not sure if this would be comparable with sampling. Technical it is almost the same with no physical sample. The question is more theoretical since I found something different to realize my idea.
It's a gray line really. It all depends how much it comes out in the song, or maybe you can throw up a soundcloud and show us?

bjporter wrote:
MTLE wrote:
z.prime wrote:
It's a gray line really. It all depends how much it comes out in the song, or maybe you can throw up a soundcloud and show us?
I was watching a video of a live performance of Nils Frahm (http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=kfwGay5MDto). He works with hardware Tape Echo. At 4:00 min you see he plays on synth to the device, lets it doing the background and goes over to play the piano. As there are virtual copies of space echo, I thought about doing something similar. I'm sure this is on border. To have a workflow close to this I'll try getting this done with a MIDI delay. So I should be in the rules.

MTLE wrote: I was watching a video of a live performance of Nils Frahm (http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=kfwGay5MDto). He works with hardware Tape Echo. At 4:00 min you see he plays on synth to the device, lets it doing the background and goes over to play the piano. As there are virtual copies of space echo, I thought about doing something similar. I'm sure this is on border. To have a workflow close to this I'll try getting this done with a MIDI delay. So I should be in the rules.

Dude this is amazing stuff! Never heard of this guy. Hard to say - it's very subtle, and you could technically do that with another instance playing a repeated pattern? Seems to be ok

MTLE wrote: I was watching a video of a live performance of Nils Frahm (http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=kfwGay5MDto). He works with hardware Tape Echo. At 4:00 min you see he plays on synth to the device, lets it doing the background and goes over to play the piano. As there are virtual copies of space echo, I thought about doing something similar. I'm sure this is on border. To have a workflow close to this I'll try getting this done with a MIDI delay. So I should be in the rules.
WOW!! Thanks, that is some awesome stuff there! :hihi:
I've been curious about using delay/echo for "looping" as well ... used to do that all the time in ReBirth.

bjporter wrote:

Dude this is amazing stuff! Never heard of this guy. Hard to say - it's very subtle, and you could technically do that with another instance playing a repeated pattern? Seems to be ok
Regular I use repeating pattern or midi items. I cant play in like this guy :? . Nevertheless i wanted to record all my tracks in one take as would it been played live. So I need something automatically repeating... Its just an experiment for myself. Why not combine with OSC :D
If MIDI delay will not give me the right timing, i still can do it conventionally.

MTLE wrote:Nevertheless i wanted to record all my tracks in one take as would it been played live. ... Its just an experiment for myself. Why not combine with OSC.
OSC is a great place to experiment with stuff!! :)

And that video is wonderful, love some of the stuff that guy was doing in there; thanks for sharing.

Nils Frahm is amazing.

I just wanted to say that.

I am just listening to Nils Frahm. What a great tip!
There is not much going on in his music. But it is full of emotions and I really fall in a hypnotic condition. Please do not wake me up. It is nice here :D
soundcloud.com/photonic-1

Hey guys, Emanuele Ballasina (AKA ballacr75) made this super nify spreadsheet:
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/ ... =340072618

I put it up there so everyone can view it.

It's a score tally of all the entries of every OSCer in history. If you scroll to the far right you can see the results.

Thank you Emanuele! :hug:

Thanks to you BJ for publish this work!

Here is my suggestion for a more informative voting system:

What about introducing an additional optional voting for sound design, composition, mixing & mastering, that does not influence the main voting? This could be very interesting for the creator...

Hanz Meyzer wrote:What about introducing an additional optional voting for sound design, composition, mixing & mastering, that does not influence the main voting? This could be very interesting for the creator...
Very good idea: keeping it optional. +1 that, especially if Brian has already basically implemented it. ;)

Return to “Instruments”