Pros/Cons: Mu.Lab, Podium, Reaper, EnergyXT

Audio Plugin Hosts and other audio software applications discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Clip based automation is a big FR at the Reaper forum so apparently users will have a use for it.

No need to be defensive about it. Reaper users want it.

LawrenceF wrote: No need to be defensive about it. Reaper users want it.
see edit above :roll:

IIRs wrote:see edit above :roll:
:hihi: Fair enough.

Try thinking about this example of one practical advantage...

You have automation attached to a midi clip and you make a change to the automation in a particular clip and the change flows through to all shared midi clips, or not if some clips aren't shared/ghosted. No way to do this currently for instrument automation in Reaper or Cubase because you can't attach instrument automation envelopes to clips.

You're forced to do a copy/paste in that case. If the clip is in 20 places, 20 new duplicates or pastes.

I'm talking parameter automation, not midi CC automation driving a parameter, but dropping an envelope for an instrument parameter directly to a midi clip in the key editor like in Studio One, and the envelope becomes a permanent part of the clip.

There are other advantages but that's one easily demonstrable one.
Last edited by LawrenceF on Sat Nov 20, 2010 5:19 pm, edited 2 times in total.

I'm not asking what the advantage would be: I'm asking how exactly it would work.

eg: you have a clip with automation data for a certain parameter. This parameter also has a normal timeline based automation curve. Which one takes priority?

Just only use it in one place I guess. If you use it in both track level and clip level, yeah, the envelopes will be fighting each other.

Not sure why you'd do that though.

So each parameter can have either clip based automation or timeline based automation, but not both?

Fair enough. What about overlapping clips?

IIRs wrote:So each parameter can have either clip based automation or timeline based automation, but not both?

Fair enough. What about overlapping clips?
Actually (correction, sorry) above you can have both at the same time. I could also drag that envelope to the track level. It wouldn't make much sense to do that - both at the same time with the same parameter? - but you can do it.

As to overlapping clips, no idea. Why don't you load a host like FLStudio that has clip automation and try it for yourself? But yeah, doing the following wouldn't make a whole lot of sense, having the same envelope being automated from both places at the same time. I'd assume nobody would do that.

Edit: Tried it. If you use the same parameter in both places the clip automation takes priority whenever the clip plays. When the clip ends the track automation kicks back in.

NAS wrote:
GaryG wrote:'course nothing beated Tracktion in it's day... :( ;)
Your kidding right
Tracktion was my favourite app for years (Not leats because Jules is cool as beans) but the MIDI always sucked in Tracktion and still does
Sorry, I meant more genrally as a simple, easy to use DAW, the MIDI was never good...

So... anyone know if vocals can be time-stretched in Energy XT like in this Reaper tutorial?

http://tutorialsforreaper.com/2010/07/2 ... ign-audio/

Thanks!

MuLab is the most powerful of the group in terms of modularity, including building your own synths and effects from the ground up.
Reaper vs the others for me is like Pain vs Pleasure.
You pick

Reaper very good for the money, no questions, but workflow...... :cry:
:shrug:
MuLab-Reaper of course :D

deleted wrote:DELETED
What's this?... "guest"?..... KvR member -1?...........

Wake the dead. All these old threads I subscribed to that pop up remind me of how many hosts I've had and how little I've accomplished :cry:

Gymnopedies wrote:
deleted wrote:DELETED
What's this?... "guest"?..... KvR member -1?...........
that's a member who asked for his account to be deleted, and that's how all his posts appear now.

uhhps who waked up frankenstone ?

Reaper is the most customizable of the bunch. Also, its MIDI editing is definitely not "bad", especially with the incoming improvements. Automation is not bad either. It could be better, yeah, but it's not bad at all.

Workflow is excellent and fast, but to get the most out of Reaper you should definitely customize it to your own preferences. And there is a lot to customize. Those who don't want to do it will never "reap" the benefits. :)

Return to “Hosts & Applications (Sequencers, DAWs, Audio Editors, etc.)”