Amplitube 3 Uses Huge Amounts of RAM, and I mean HUGE!!!!

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Effects Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

I just thought I would create a post and keep this in the lime light for any potential buyers as a warning. Make sure you have a 64 bit host to deal with the huge amount of RAM Amplitube 3 eats up per instance. Seriously, after a couple instances in a 32 bit host this would be almost unusable, especially if you are running something else that is RAM hungry like Superior drummer 2.

You would figure this would be on top for IK to take care of. Like priority number 1. This is a major issue in case anybody was wondering. I have to use Amplitube 3 in Cubase 64 because I use too many instances. Granted I could use more, many more even, instances of another brand's amp sim.

Anyway, I would like to keep this post around as a warning to people and to maybe push IK in the right direction. Heck they are around here enough hyping up their products so I figure the KVR folk must mean something to them.

Amplitube 2 was a memory hog too and we tried really hard to convince IK Multimedia to fix it but then they released version 3 and it was almost the same hog, if not even worse. They've "promised" to look into it in the "future"... but we all know their priorities, sadly. I'm in the same situation. It's like a one-instance-stop-shop-solution. Sounds great but it's heavily bloated.

yeah, I find it completely unusable in 32-bit. Even in 64-bit its a ram hog. They really should look into make it more efficient, or maybe a way to purge out of ram the other amp / effect models you're not using when you are solid on a sound. Or maybe do it Kontakts way where it only loads into RAM what you need to use WHEN YOU ACTIVATE IT. I cannot believe a single amp preset can use 1GB+ of RAM. Something is going on under the hood...
My progressive rock band - free demos here!! (and if you do listen please let me know what you think!) http://www.aeonsatori.com/news/free-downloads

I didn't know you didn't know.

yeah, it's a ram hog for certain.

Oh look another IK thread.
Has anybody ever really been far even as decided to use even go want to do look more like?

I know :cry: :lol: :wheee:

EDIT: this is not directed at the OP

EDIT: I'm addicted to IK threads :(
Last edited by hibidy on Thu Aug 04, 2011 4:37 am, edited 1 time in total.

@midnight wrote:Oh look another IK thread.
Yikes - the Horned One skulks the moors yet again! :scared:

Notice how he hath assumed a pleasing shape? IK - sounds like Icecream and the whole product is smothered in pictures of desirable gear. But 'neath that fetching surface, a veritable beast, gnawing at your precious RAM.

Oh the wickedness of it all! :cry:
Last edited by egbert on Thu Aug 04, 2011 7:19 am, edited 1 time in total.

bmr or stfu :P

glokraw wrote:bmr or stfu :P
Sorry, don't get it :(

Buy more RAM? No use for 32 bit hosts.

They're got more pressing issues to address like constant group sales and dinky ipod apps than dealing with existing user issues like excessive RAM usage. Enough users, like me, have complained about this to make their inaction intentional. They simply don't give a shit.
I've moved on to GR4. That way I can use more than one instantiation without Ableton Live crashing.
"What embecile composed this list :/"

egbert wrote:Buy more RAM? No use for 32 bit hosts.
:lol: :dog: it's actually not funny but I'm lmao anyways :hihi:

re_mute wrote:They're got more pressing issues to address like constant group sales and dinky ipod apps than dealing with existing user issues like excessive RAM usage. Enough users, like me, have complained about this to make their inaction intentional. They simply don't give a shit.
I've moved on to GR4. That way I can use more than one instantiation without Ableton Live crashing.
ouch! Though I have to say that you are justified :(

Yeah, GR4 (and hopefully 5) is a good example.

Eventually people will vote with their feet, be it for the insane RAM use, company policies or, like in my case, forced internet connection. :shrug:
Amplitube is the biggest package, and the one with the most aggressive marketing.
It has good potential technically, but it's neither the most authentic sounding nor the most user friendly package anymore, not by a long stretch.
Like the old Indian said, when will you realize you can't eat numbers of models or "strategic endorsements" ? :P
That said, NI are about to run into a similar trap right now with making GR a framework for their new FX plugins. :bang:
The F-104A Starfighter was a great airplane originally (for air fights), trouble started when politicians forced the engineers to mutate it into a heavily loaded bomber (aka F-104G) which it couldn't cope with structurally.
We all know what happened.
I guess the solution are smaller, more user oriented packages right now, and the products of the freeware community are also getting better every day (especially the high gain scene is well on par with the commercial alternatives).

That doesn't mean a final decision in my case, I'll keep watching what happens, not ruling out to be convinced again one day, though certainly not by size and marketing. :shrug:
Meanwhile I'm enjoying the best tones I ever had ITB, from a combination of hardware and software. :love:

Ymmv,
susiwong

Yes another IK thread. It would be nice if they could take care of this. I'm lucky I have 16GB of RAM. This plug could be potentially unusable in the 32 bit environment.

Return to “Effects”