While making no compromises about sound quality, the algorithms have been optimized for efficient CPU usage making Charlatan well suited as a ''bread and butter'' synth even in projects with a large number of plugin instances.
Best of all, it's FREEWARE! I'm happy to hear your opinions and suggestions! Enjoy!
- 2 oscillators with triangle, sawtooth, pulse and noise waveforms
- oscillator pulse-width modulation (PWM) and slew rate modulation (morphing between triangle and sawtooth)
- oscillator hard synchronization and ring modulation
- 2 ADSR envelope generators
- LFO with host tempo synchronization
- 3 filter types modeled after classic analog hardware: 4-pole (24 db/oct) and 2-pole (12 db/oct) lowpass, bandpass
- filter code based on nonlinear zero-delay feedback technique for accurate emulation of analog counterparts
- 3 voice modes: Monophonic with retriggering, Monophonic Legato and 8-voice Polyphonic
- low CPU usage
- 100% coded in C++
- native 64-bit support
- I don't like the GUI color. Can I replace the GUI skin?
Yes, you may use a Resource Editor to replace the image in the DLL. I even allow you to share your hacked DLL as long as you distribute it along with the original readme/license files and a clear note that this is not the original version and point people to the place where they can find the original.
- Will you add official skinning support?
Not in the near future as it involves quite some work with IMO only limited value in return.
- Will you add a proper preset management system? Arpeggiator? Integrated effects?
See answer to previous question. I'm more into the UNIX philosophy of designing software tools which is to do one thing and do it well. There are already great free standalone arps/FX available.
- I really feel I need another osc/LFO/envelope/...
As you are aware, Charlatan's all about simplicity. I really feel that I have reached a feature set which gives you the best versatility/complexity ratio. If I wanted an even more flexible architecture, it'd probably better be in a new plugin.
- Will there be a Mac version?
I'd love to have one, but there's lot of work to done, as I'm using my custom development framework, which currently supports Windows only. Also, I need a Mac...
- BUGFIX: DCO mode with Osc2 square/pulse wave was broken
- noise source now separate from Osc 1
- Osc 2: narrow pulse wave
- LFO: extended rate range
- GUI update
- BUGFIX: potential crasher
- some more presets
More info and download: http://www.blaukraut.info