New pitch shifter VST plugin - please comment on quality

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Effects Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Hi,
I am working on pitch shifter plugin for monophonic voice signals(singing). I posted some examples of voice pitch shifted with my effect at : http://shifter.wz.cz/comparison/comparison.html .

I am desperate for opinions of two kind of people:
1) musicians familiar with some pitch shifter effects (even the proffesional ones)
2) people who are familiar with the DSP developement especially pitch shifting.

The objectives for it are to work in real time(which it does but due to the nature of used algorithms the latency cannot get under 25ms) and to preserve formants (characteristic sound of singer - no chimpunks etc.)

I know it is not perfect - I dont know any VST pitch shifter which works artefact free and preserve formants even for big pitch shifts - but I need to know if you think it is any good in comparison to existing products (freeware and professional effects from Antares, TC, Melody etc.)

Quick feedback especially appreaciated! ...and excuse my singing:)
Thank you very much,
M.

As you said there are some artifacts. When pitching down there also seems to be distortion -- maybe some kind of interpolation would help?

Well, as you know already it's quite ok compared to what's out there. You surely hear the artefacts, and you don't like them. So do I.
What would be really cool if you could improve it so that it simply sounds amazing and that it would become not only one more pitch shifter. My guess is that this would be your only bigger chance to really get the ball rolling out there, no matter which ball you choose. :)

Good luck.

mithali wrote:I know it is not perfect - I dont know any VST pitch shifter which works artefact free and preserve formants even for big pitch shifts - but I need to know if you think it is any good in comparison to existing products (freeware and professional effects from Antares, TC, Melody etc.)
Definitely there's nothing even close to perfect, but check Pitchwheel 4. Latency at 44.1kHz is 46ms though.
"Music is spiritual. The music business is not." - Claudio Monteverdi

Hi, thank you guys very much for feedback.

Those distortion artifacts when shifting down are really anoying and so far I have no idea what to do about them. I think it is the main problem of all formant preserving pitch shifters - even that pitchwheel(which is nice btw)sounds bad when transposing down and preserving formants. It would be real breakthrough for someone to create algo which wouldn't have problem shifting down(while keeping formants). Do you know about any article/people trying to solve this problem for time domain methods? I cannot find any.

Btw do you know about any free vst plugin, that does pitch shifting while perserving formants? I just wanna know if I can compare it with something in the freebies category, I wasnt able to find anything like that. (I need to create comparission chart)
Thanks again.

Return to “Effects”