One-Synth-Challenge 33: Charlatan - Voting and Results

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Time to vote for your top 5 tracks. All tracks are here.

RULES:
- Give 5 points to the track you think is best, 4 for second, then 3, 2 and 1.
- Voting is open to anyone.
- Last day for voting is 15th November (KVR time).
- If you have entered in the competition, you must vote to be eligible for prizes.
- No voting for yourself.
- Voters must have had 20 prior forum posts or participated in this month's contest.
- In the case of equal scores after voting, they will be separated by how many 5pts they got, then 4pts and so on.

HOW TO VOTE:
You should allocate your votes, in a single post, in this thread ... something like this ....
Artist zxy - Track zxy: 5
Artist xqy - Track xqy: 4
Artist zyx - Track zyx: 3
Artist zqx - Track zqx: 2
Artist qzx - Track qzx: 1

NOTE:
Reviews, however brief, are always welcome. Even if you can only find the time to add a short comment, then please do! ...it keeps the thread alive and encourages others to listen/vote.
Last edited by V'ger on Wed Nov 16, 2011 2:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Judging was a lot easier this month than last month and since I already started yesterday, I was able to finish my voting post today ;) Still deciding the order of the Top5 was extremely difficult - it's always sad to see good tracks only getting 1 pt where you'd like to give them more...

I'll start with some nice tracks that didn't make into my final voting round:
  • Bjporter - Final Report[...]
    Made me become really silent, calm but anxious (also the genre tag really fits :P)
  • Half Ninja - 1 Day 1 Synth
    82 Charlatans... the sounds are no doubt impressive :D
  • Alvfaria - Little Red Devil
    I really liked that snare sound here - cool track :)
In the final round but not in the Top5 were:
  • Ataraxis - She's only gonna tear you up
    Hooray for sidechain compression :D Really cool to listen to 8)
  • Thrax - Broken Silence
    Nice electronic track, but it's a little too empty and short for my taste :S
And now for the most interesting part ;)
  1. Doc Jon - Smoothie Charlie (5pts)
    Come on! Where do you get these awesome sounds from? Seriously, that track doesn't feel synth-like at all (except for the "obvoius" synth sounds) - and all that made with a synth as little and simple as Charlatan. About the mood created... fantastic 8)
  2. z.prime - into the line (4pts)
    First it nicely builds just to suddenly drop into another section that is... wow... it's even maybe even better than the first... and now... no! It has ended. :( Extremely cool percussion sounds that are very intelligently used ;)
  3. Bjulin - Peace (3pts)
    Peaceful, indeed :) The sound at 1:17 was a little too harsh, but 3 seconds later all is forgotten and you continue drifting alongside these nice arpeggios :) And what's that? A nice, cheering melody (At this point I'm sure this track will get into the Top5). And then it's coming to an end :( ... I'm immediately repeating it :D (2 hours later: *still humming the melody*)
  4. Irion Da Ronin - Surrounded by Light (2pts)
    As I already wrote on SoundCloud, the first time I listened to it I was rather disappointed... but once I opened myself enough for this track, it could release the light :)
  5. Kalee - Bystander (1pt)
    The drums somehow don't feel 100% right to me, but the chords are just extremely anthem-like beatiful :)
As I said, the Top5 were really beautiful tracks once more - worthy additions to my music library :)

My votes:

1) Thrax - Broken Silence - 5pts
2) Irion - Surrounded by Light - 4pts
3) Doc Jon - Smoothie Charlie - 3pts
4) SJMmusic - The boat - 2pts
5) evo2slo - Aluminium Lemon - 1pt

Cheers!

Here goes my votes. I was listening all the tracks while they were being uploaded. So i just needed to make some last final tweaks in my votes.
Remember that i'm always looking mostly for feelings, not for quality. Due all of you have a great quality, to be honest.

Nice tracks this month as usually, and a big surprise we got 24 finally. This means 6 prizes to be awarded.
Well,let's stop talking and let's go to what matters. As we says in Spain, "Al Turrón!!"

My votes

1) Z.Prime - Into the Line - 5 Points
  • A precious, mellow and felt track from Z.Prime, although i prefer the first part more than the half-to-end. But the whole idea it's precious.
    Nice chord changes, nice fat and moving bassline, nice leads with vibra-vibe.
    The nice percussion made its part very well too. And specially when it's getting more rhythm and more hits per bar slowly.
    This is the kind of tracks i love when i need to relax and to think about something.
    The mix is great, and the arrangement too. It's in my playlist.
    Once again, Z.Primer made me think. Nostalgia, sadness, but hope.
    I never looked for quality, i'm always behind feelings, but well, Z.Prime can do both in my head and in my heart. Cheers and take my 5 points, well worth it.
2) Bjulin - Peace - 4 Points
  • Another nice relaxing track, makes me feel abstracted completelly.
    The intro and the first half makes me daydream as i said.
    I like the simple but effective bassline which appears lately.
    The final part sounds innocent to me, where the "flute" sounds.
    More than peacefully, it sounds between innocent and daydreaming to me. But isn't the peace that? Innocense, daydreaming and some love?
    Cheers for the track.
3) BJ Porter - Final Report - 3 Points
  • Well, i think is the first time my imagination just explode with a track like this. Total in love with it, i'm still wondering how the composer made those nice noises from Charlatan, they sounds almost spectral. Very well made and processed. Good job.
    It played with my imagination and it was very stimulating for my mind.
    This is one of the track which i needed to change my votes in the final moment.
    And it could get my number 1 easily if it would be more longer and the composer would have developed a bit more the epic/fantasy/melodic part in the end, i mean to make it longer in lenght. I need more like this!
    As i said in SoundCloud, it makes me remind of The Abyss film, but instead aliens creatures, armonic creatures in the depth of the ocean, due i can hear some armonies in the end, when the divers find these. (Of course it's just my imagination)
    Cheers.
4) Yeager - True Colours - 2 Points
  • I liked some parts more than others, specially the pop groove with that nice bassline and some great chords progressions.
    The global idea it's nice, but the changes are a bit drastic to my taste, when i was listening this track in the background i didn't know if that part was another different track from another contestant. So i prefered a slow and soft transitions between the different parts. But of course, this is only an opinion, there are people who likes this kind of drastic changes, and others not, so keep up the good work.
    Nice in the lenght/changes. This is, the track doesn't make you bored due the nice changes on the track, so we can enjoy a long track thanks to these changes, as i said a bit drastic. In any case, a great track with quality and very professional which says to you: "Replay me again, please". Cheers.
5) SJMmusic - The Boat - 1 Point
  • A nice relaxing track from SJM. It sounded like if a giant tempest were pissing off the poor boat. And the boat was taken by a stronger tempest in the middle of the ocean.
    I felt a bit powerless, helpless with the song, as the boat, but at same time, i felt hope too.
    I liked the powerful intro, simple but efective. The pads in the backkground and the main melody.
    Please, it sounded good and pleasant to my ears, make it longer in lenght next time. I wanted more.
Honorable mentions
Bzur - DnBnC
  • I'm still wondering what is the meaning of that title, but well, the most important is the track itself and how it sounds.
    I can perceive a minimalistic track this month, a bit out from Bzur style for some strange reason, maybe Bzur it's chameleonic. But there are some nice parts in the whole mix that i enjoyed so much, some nice sounds and FX sounds with a nice use of the LFO, and a well made bassline which supports the weight of the whole track. Sorry for leaving you out this month, man. It was easy at beginning, but suddently people came up with a dozen of new tracks. Thanks for your comprehension. It hurts when leaving out some nice tracks like this one.
Doc Jon - Smoothie Charlie
  • It would have been my number 6 this month, to be honest.
    I liked so much the use and creation of sounds from scratch, also of course the global quality that Doc Jon can bring us every month, but the track didn't fit my taste/style completelly, i still prefer the 80s electronical Doc Jon, the Jarresque one.
    Anyway, the track only needed of Michael Jackson singing over the whole mix, fits perfect for a 80s pop song. My girlfriend enjoyed this track, anyway.
    Nice bassline by the way and although i don't like "organish" sounds i can value your great effort making these presets from scratch. Cheers.
    I hope to listen a more electronic track from you next month, 80s or not. Sorry for leaving you out too, mate.
Gorgorgath - Do the shamble
  • I was about even to give points to our dear Dr.Nutson, but at last moment some other tracks appeared. But don't give up, please. I know you won't it.
    Our crazy doctor is getting better and improving himself each month and that's a nice thing. A sticked-to-brain melody and the weirdness (in the good way) are always the main ID of Gorgorgath, and lately a nice use of fat basslines which i enjoyed this month so much.
    Gorgorgath is all an artist, and wants to see extreme reactions from listeners, good or bad. He is our personal Andy Kaufman in the music KVR world. Keep up the good work.
Thrax - Broken Silence
  • Track with a nice intro and a nice bassline over the whole mix.
    It made me to pay attention during the entire track. But try to develop more the main idea, make more changes
    Very electronic with the beat plus bassline and at same time very relaxing with the melody and FX sounds.
    I love the melody so much!
RuediRena - Global Pitch
  • The track sounds energic this month and also a bit crazy, in the good way in some parts, maybe it's Ruedi the madman, and also, there is an harmonic and relaxing part, maybe it's the peaceful Rena.
    Whatever it is, i can feel like child in an amusement park.
    Some sounds FX makes me think about if i were in a roller coaster or any other kind of amusement park machines.
    RuediRena is another artist who is getting better every month.
    Keep bring us your crazyness and your double faced tracks, please. Cheers.
Acronym - Perspectives
  • As i already said in the comments on SoundCloud, this track made me remember of Yuzo Koshiro, one of my beloved videogames soundtrack composers since i was a child.
    The track teleported me automatically to Streets of Rage of Sega Genesis/MegaDrive.
    Very relaxing non-saturated track with a nice digital piano chords sound, and a quiet beat with a nice use of space on the mix. A total pleasure for ears nowadays.
    Also, the track comes with a completelly different part in the middle of it, maybe there are two different perspectives to see the life.
Half Ninja - 1 day 1 synth
  • As i already said, nice dubstep track this month for a newcomer.
    He looks youngs but seems he has potential. He knows what he is talking about.
    I'm still impressed and surprised about what can be done with this little synthesizer.
    Wobbles powerful basslines and some nice sticked-to-brain melodies we can listen in this gritty/glitchy track with 82 instances.
    I hope/want to see more from this guy in the next OSCs, to be honest.
And that's all for now this month.
I just wanted to be one of the first on voting this month due i want to take a rest so badly from music for some days. To make 11 tracks, voting for three contests and betatesting some synths it can be a real pain in the ass for a musician. Who said that a musician life doesn't kill you softly?

If you didn't got any comments or points from me, doesn't means that you are doing bad. Just keep up the good work, be constant and continue improving yourself, please.
As i usually says, thanks everybody for participate, for your amazing tracks and for your points/comments (my track is total worthless this month to be honest, i wasn't expecting votes)

Thanks for being there. You all are nice. Peace and love, pals.

Have a good day :)

There were some very strong contenders, but in the end, these are my picks.

Bjulin - Peace: 5 pts
Doc Jon - Smoothie Charlie: 4 pts
Thrax - Broken Silence: 3 pts
SJMmusic - The Boat: 2 pts
z.prime - into the line: 1 pts

Good luck everyone. Maybe next time I will submit something.

OK guys... here are my top 10 :D

z.Prime - into the line - 5 pts.

simply amazing... wonderful percussions and dreamy melos.
-> The middlepart with that bassline... uh... I don't like it! it nearly destroys the whole song... seems like the bassline's notes are night right. in my ears, something went wrong here.
But the rest of the song makes it my Number 1!!

IrionDaRonin - Sorrounded by Light - 4 pts.

You didn't expect votings this month?? Are you kidding? It's really nice... very spacey, with wonderful melos... I really like it!!!

SJM - The Boat - 3 pts.

From the beginning on, it catches everyone here, i think! Well, it's simply too short! Anyway, this is a great one!! Wide open space, just like the sea is...

bzur - DnBnC - 2 pts.

Here comes some groovy stuff! The melo is kinda weird-dreamy-funny?? ...i can't explain, it just feels right!! And that 303ish Bassline is funny, too!! Well done!!

Doc Jon - Smoothie Charlie - 1 pt.

Nobody expected sounds like these, coming out from charlatan -> somehow, i would have seen those patches ;) no, i'm trusting you and that's why you are in my top 5!
I hoped for a hook / a more defined melo... you've got some melos in your track, but nothing too catchy, that i can remind of. they are all rhythmic-melos. maybe next time you can get a hook-melo?
anyway, the sounds are simply amazing and the whole track is really well done... so you got my last 1 point!

The next 5 are:

Yeager - True Colours
Kalee - Bystander
Thrax - Broken Silence
Gorgorgatgorgor - Do the Shamble
Acronym - Perspectives

Have a nice day!! And thanks for the Votes I already got from you guys!! I'm very happy to see, you like it! :)

@JJBiener:
Cheers for the votes, but unfortunately can't be counted because as it says in the rules:
Voters must have had 20 prior forum posts or participated in that month's contest

IrionDaRonin wrote: Bzur - DnBnC
  • I'm still wondering what is the meaning of that title
Drum'n'Bass'n'Charlatan (?), we're quite shure considering the sounds. Or maybe it means 'Dis not Bad nor Cheesy'.:hihi:
our dear Dr.Nutson
:hihi: Is it on purpose or a Freudian slip? Aside: We love those Gorgorian tracks - just to make shure!
RuediRena - Global Pitch
  • The track sounds energic this month and also a bit crazy, in the good way in some parts, maybe it's Ruedi the madman, and also, there is an harmonic and relaxing part, maybe it's the peaceful Rena.
    Whatever it is, i can feel like child in an amusement park.
    Some sounds FX makes me think about if i were in a roller coaster or any other kind of amusement park machines.
    RuediRena is another artist who is getting better every month.
    Keep bring us your crazyness and your double faced tracks, please. Cheers.
Thanks you so much for the kind comment. We are honoured, indeed.

We don't want to give away who is the madman (or madwoman) of our team. Hmm, well, maybe we don't know ourselves.

Cheers for now

P.S.
[shamelessly_advertising]
PLEASE DO have a look at our new signature. Sepalot is a Bavarian Hip Hop producer and also a bit of a madman.
[\shamelessly_advertising]

My votes for OSC 33: Charlatan

01.z.prime - into the line: 5 pts
02.Doc Jon - Smoothie Charlie: 4 pts
03.bzur - DnBnC: 3 pts
04.SJMmusic - The Boat (Charlatan Solo): 2 pts
05.Irion Da Ronin - Surrounded by Light: 1 pt

Cheers,
g7

RuediRena wrote:Drum'n'Bass'n'Charlatan (?), we're quite shure considering the sounds. Or maybe it means 'Dis not Bad nor Cheesy'.:hihi:
I didn't expect a Drum 'N' Bass track from Bzur to be honest. Also it's not enough fast to be D'n'B. That's why i'm still wondering, haha.
our dear Dr.Nutson
It is his surname as we can read in his SoundCloud profile, and i like how it sounds :)
Thanks you so much for the kind comment. We are honoured, indeed.

We don't want to give away who is the madman (or madwoman) of our team. Hmm, well, maybe we don't know ourselves.
I knew you were about to say something like that, really :hihi:
As i read, i know you both are not a couple, just good friends, always doing musical things together, but mate, that's the true love, there is nothing more important in this world than that special relationship you both have, cheers. :tu:

IrionDaRonin wrote:
RuediRena wrote:Drum'n'Bass'n'Charlatan (?), we're quite shure considering the sounds. Or maybe it means 'Dis not Bad nor Cheesy'.:hihi:
I didn't expect a Drum 'N' Bass track from Bzur to be honest. Also it's not enough fast to be D'n'B. That's why i'm still wondering, haha.
The "C" slows down everything :)

bzur wrote:
IrionDaRonin wrote:
C as in chiocciola ... :roll:

IrionDaRonin wrote:
our dear Dr.Nutson
It is his surname as we can read in his SoundCloud profile, and i like how it sounds :)
Well, actually it is K-nutson with a capital K. Can we agree on Freudian slip? :lol:

RuediRena wrote:
IrionDaRonin wrote:
our dear Dr.Nutson
Well, actually it is K-nutson with a capital K. Can we agree on Freudian slip? :lol:
How the hell! :-o
I swear i read Nutson sometime ago, seriously. :oops:

Well, my apologies to our dear Dr.Knutson.
You see? The most distracted person in world... :oops:

It was a Freudian slip, then. We are agree, lol.

RuediRena wrote:
bzur wrote:
IrionDaRonin wrote:
C as in chiocciola ... :roll:
You got it :lol:

Return to “Instruments”