Roland JV 1080

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Remember had it back in the days - or the the keyboard version XP50. So many clean and good and useful sounds!

Will it be any software or perhaps sample library released?

ferdik wrote:Remember had it back in the days - or the the keyboard version XP50. So many clean and good and useful sounds!

Will it be any software or perhaps sample library released?
Facing same problem. everything is synth sound losing out on general midi instruments

I had access to a JV-2080 whilst at college, I remember finding it was packed full of nice sounds. Wish there was a VST version.
http://sendy.bandcamp.com/releases < My new album at Bandcamp! Now pay what you like!

Oh yeah, I worked a lot with a JV-1010 at college, so when I graduated I bought myself one of these. I don't use it much these days since I don't use many synths anyway, but whenever I play with it I'm still amazed by it's sound quality.

A VSTi based on these sounds would be awesome indeed.

Yeah, the JV1080/2080/1010 were (are) still amazing sounding machines, mainly due to the combo of 8MB (!) of samples, multi-effects and DEEP synth sound design by Spectrasonics guru/titan Eric Persing, (whose profile is on the lower right of this page, good read!).

Some of the early Spectrasonics drum and bass sample sets made their way onto Roland's SR-JV series of expansion cards, and still sound big, real and punchy today. In fact, the Bass and Drums Expansion card is the closest thing I've found to a Trilogy/Trillian-like bass sound in hardware, and I believe they share some of the same root samples. You can find one on eBay for about $60usd, cheap compared to those plugs!

Though I'm mostly itb now, when I need an deep, evolving pad, or nice solo orch instrument I still call on my XP-30, which shares the same sound engine (and 3 built-in expansion cards) as the JV series.

Another interesting side note about that era is that Sonic Reality/eSoundz genius Squids did sampling for many of the top keyboards of the 90's-00's, including the classic keys found on the much-craved Vintage Synths and Keyboards of the 60's and 70's cards for the JV/XP series. You can read more about these cool cross-collabos here:

http://www.kvraudio.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=190114

I never used to love history! :hihi:

KVR/eSoundz: Xenobt

I still have my jv-1010, plus I still have my jv-880. I have some great pad sounds programmed on them and I have no interest in trying to recreate them in software. I also like that on the 880 you can turn voices on and off from the front panel. I liked both of them because they did what they were designed to do without a thousand extra bells and whistles to make it complicated.

I still have my JV-1080. Its true that there aren't really a lot of equivalent VSTi's around. I tend to think of Kontakt as my replacement, but using Session Strings Pro isn't quite the same thing as pulling up a JV string set and making a synth patch based on it.

Actually, what I like to do, particularly with strings and choirs, is to record the same MIDI performance with similar patches on the JV-1080, Emu Morpheus, Wavestation SR, and Kontakt. Then I layer all of them together to get a nice, lush sound which doesn't really resemble any given one of those instruments.
Incomplete list of my gear: 1/8" audio input jack.

Back in the days i sampled a lot of the jv1080 and wanted to make a big samplebank. Never finished it though. I sold the jv soon after that. But kept my jd800 for it's sweet strings and leads.

I'm starting to think that I should keep my old Motif ES for it's sounds
:x

Exactly why i picked up a YAMAHA MU90R for 100 bucks. And why I never plan on selling my Roland JV880. the quality of the real acustic instruments and playing dynamics on these units is fantastic.
HW SYNTHS [KORG T2EX - AKAI AX80 - YAMAHA SY77 - ENSONIQ VFX]
HW MODULES [OBi M1000 - ROLAND MKS-50 - ROLAND JV880 - KURZ 1000PX]
SW [CHARLATAN - OBXD - OXE - ELEKTRO - MICROTERA - M1 - SURGE - RMiV]
DAW [ENERGY XT2/1U RACK WINXP / MAUDIO 1010LT PCI]

My beloved xp-50 is broken.. probably power supply. Would love to get it back up and running. It's an awesome synth/sequencer combo. I miss it dearly. :(
"Wisdom is wisdom, regardless of the idiot who said it." -an idiot

I'm also a fan of the JV family.

I had a JV2080, an XP80 and a JV1010 in the late 90ies. Beautiful machines with a deep warm sounds.

I'm now left with only the JV1010 but I always use it. It's my favorite preset synth. It's unbelievable what Eric Persing and Roland managed to create with such a small sample memory (a few MB). There are tons of sounds that I like in it. It's my swiss army knife synth.

I wish Roland would release a VST version, like Korg did with the M1 and the Wavestation. Just as it is, with only a better interface.

Another big fan here. I have a JV-1010 with Orchestral expansion board and a M-VS1 (the vintage synth board in it's own dedicated rack). They complement one another very nicely. The JV-1010, with it taking up a half width of a rack space, sits next to a Korg NS5R (also half-width) and is another good synth to have and pretty cheap second hand. I got mine last year for about £50.
Wavetables for DUNE2/3, Blofeld, IL Harmor, Hive and Serum etc: http://charlesdickens.neocities.org/
£10 for lifetime updates including wavetable editor for Windows.

Music: https://soundcloud.com/markholt

This thread got me searching for some of the old sounds. Anyone bought here before?
http://www.instantloops.com/roland-jv-2 ... fl-studio/

Or better yet,
http://www.instantloops.com/synth-colle ... es-chords/

zeep
I purchased these recently and though the quality is good I was disappointed to get only 9 kontakt instruments ... this is not the complete library.
I did manage to find a complete library and purchased from ebay, this is shipped from US on 7 DVDs at ~27GB and a little more expensive & shipping! Too soon for me to tell you whether this really fits the bill though.
Don

Return to “Instruments”