Should I get a Akai Synthstation 25?

For iOS (iPhone, iPad & iPod), Android, Windows Phone, etc. App and Hardware talk
RELATED
PRODUCTS

These things looks cool. But I was wondering if they only work with apps which support them. I guess you can't use them for any app which supports MIDI IN/OUT?

Am I better off with something like a Line6 Mobilizer and a separate keyboard controller?

unfortunately the formfactor and the good quality (hey, it's akai!) is the only plus it has,

Here is list of the official app that support it:
http://www.synthstationapp.com/sdk.php

which counts 12 Apps, not so much.

So unless all the stuff you want is on that list, you're better off with a Line6 Mobilizer 2, Yamaha I-MX or iKM iRig.

Personally I recommend the iRig since it has an additional charging USB port
which the other don't have.

Thank you. I was very close to buying it but now I'm looking at the iRig MIDI.

Problem is I need to find a keyboard controller with MIDI ports while keeping costs down :(

I use the synthstation mainly as my midi controller for Sonar. Works great for me.

Of course, there is also the nearly identical Akai MPK Mini. It sports two octaves, pads, buttons and rotary knobs.

Using the usb camera kit, a powered hub and a Presonus Audiobox USB, I can use the MPK Mini as a mobile keyboard (plug it into the hub and that into the iPad).

Works great for all apps that support midi keyboards, which is quite a few of them.

Mike

Sorry for being kinda OT, but it's really about time someone comes up with a portable device like the Synthstation but with quite some more features:
- Core MIDI compatibility. That way, no developers have to follow whatever stuff a single company comes up with (in this case AKAI). Can't be too hard - I mean, Core MIDI is part of the iOS...
- Audio in/outputs including, say, stereo multi-inputs (allowing you to switch between mic, line and instrument levels), preferably with phantom power.
- Obviously, the audio interface should be Core Audio compatible - again, it's built into iOS already.
- Should work equally well with iPhones and iPads. An iPhone mount is of course a nice idea, but what if I want to turn the phone? There should be an extension cable in addition, plus some further phone holding options.
- Ideally, such a device should come with an optional, rechargeable battery, so you could really use it anywhere (ok, perhaps minus phantom power).

I'd buy such a thing a in a heartbeat.
The combination karmacomposer is using might work, but for me, it'd absolutely defeat the purpose of a small music creation setup based on a smartphone. In other words, instead of all that stuff I'd rather use my laptop (which, at least, uses a more or less proper OS, rather than that completely crippled iOS bullshit).

Fwiw, I absolutely don't understand why Akai didn't make their Synthstation Core MIDI compatible. Did they really expect to sell so many of their (not exactly shiny) Synthstation Apps?
As is, they will sell less of their controllers, simply because developers don't want to deal with any extra "standard".

- Sascha
There are 3 kinds of people:
Those who can do maths and those who can't.

and don't forgt: such a device MUST be in Breakout box with only the docking caple connecting it to the iPad. The strain on the Docking-Port will be too much otherwise.

Jono-60 wrote:Thank you. I was very close to buying it but now I'm looking at the iRig MIDI.

Problem is I need to find a keyboard controller with MIDI ports while keeping costs down :(
like stated above:
you can also use the Apple Camera Connection Kit for $30 and any USB-Class Compliant MIDI Keyboard plus eventually a self-powered USB Hub.

I use the above with my Novation Remote SL keyboord. Works great!
The Akai MPKmini or LPK25 ($50 or something) should also do the job perfectly.

mindnoise wrote:
Jono-60 wrote:Thank you. I was very close to buying it but now I'm looking at the iRig MIDI.

like stated above:
you can also use the Apple Camera Connection Kit for $30 and any USB-Class Compliant MIDI Keyboard plus eventually a self-powered USB Hub.

I use the above with my Novation Remote SL keyboord. Works great!
The Akai MPKmini or LPK25 ($50 or something) should also do the job perfectly.
Unfortunately I only have an iPhone and iTouch

Jono-60 wrote: Unfortunately I only have an iPhone and iTouch
Same here (iPhone only that is) - so I've been pretty much into looking for a decent controller. Unfortunately, there's nothing but the Synthstation as it seems. And while that *might* be ok (as I'm mainly using NanoStudio and Music Studio, both offering Synthstation support), it looks as if I couldn't connect my AmpLink "sort of audiointerface" simultaneously, a) because there's no space anymore, once the phone sits in the dock, b) because usually only either the dock or headphone connectors can be in use.
Really, it's about time someone comes up with an all-in-one solution. In fact, I'm really astonished that there isn't anything like that already. I mean, even my 3GS is already powerful enough to allow for small, yet more or less complete song layouts, so, with the 4 and especially 4S models, one should be able to get very, very decent results.
But all that's available right now is a whole bunch of audio interfaces without any MIDI access or the Synthstation, offering no audio input at all.
I could even imagine that something like the described all-in-one solution could be a huge success, I know at least 5-10 people personally who would instantly buy such a thing.

- Sascha

Yes, I forgot, sorry.
I am doing all my on the iPad now.
This really sucks that Apple chose to exclude the iPhone/ Touch
deliberately.

---I think the synthstation originally retailed for around $300.00 and now you can buy them new for around $69.00. I paid $89.00 and thought I got such a great deal until I tried to use it and then I couldn't send it back without the freight and restocking fees eating up the price I paid.
I found out very quickly that you have to take your iPhone out of its protective cases to plug it in and tha'ts a real pain but it worked okay with some of the apps....it's definately not worth it to me but that's just me.

It works great for me as I use it to record from my phone to laptop. I connect the output of the SynthStation to my audio interface and that allows me a good audio recoding signal, taking a feed from the headphones out can be noisy at times. This works with all apps, as I sequence on the app itself and use only the audio out from the SynthStation.

I also use it as a midi controller and as a dock interface so I can use my DAW to control SynthStation supported apps.

I'm happy with it, I just learn to use equipment to the best of it's abilities to get the most out of it.
simon

thebaggytrouseredone wrote:I just learn to use equipment to the best of it's abilities to get the most out of it.
Obviously, that's what all of us should do.
But that doesn't mean there's no room for (partially lots of) improvements. And in case of a unit such as the Synthstation, there is.

- Sascha

Akai could at least update it to include CoreMIDI support (like the upcoming iPad 49 version) and that would be a huge improvement in itself.

Return to “Mobile Apps and Hardware”