pizmidi suggestion: repeat every X incoming note X times at X speed

Official support for: thepiz.org
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Repeat every X'nd/rd/th incoming note x amount times at x speed.

with a optional note filter so for example: every 12th incoming C2 gets repeated once or twice and so on.
miedex

I'm curious about what you would use this for. Would be an easy modification of midiDelay...
wrongtastic, baby
tucson's number one gothic rock band since 1995

Every 14th time a C3 (for example) is detected your plugin would send a burst of a 32nd user defined note like a C2 (for example), or it could just output the same note as the trigger but then just have a force-to-note-X transpose plugin after it in the signal chain (does one of your plugins do this specifically?).

Example: the external C3 would be triggering a bassdrum somewhere and the user defined C2 note coming from your midi plugin would trigger a snare roll.

This is a process described by Autechre as one of their common max/msp applications (plugging a bunch of these midi effects into each other is how they achieve some of their generative stuff) but it's actually really useful in situations where a sequencer can't step out of 16th notes or its otherwise improbable to customize the sequence too much, like if you were working with difficult to program hardware drum machines that could be used as a sound module at the same time that its running patterns.

This would be extremely cool for live performance where a basic midi loop triggering some samples could be jammed out into something complex and evolving with a row or two of midi controller faders assigned to the parameters of a few instances of a plugin like this.
Last edited by miedex on Sun Dec 04, 2011 5:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
miedex

Now I feel like i'm going down the rabits hole but I just thought of another spinoff plugin idea for this proposed scheme: drop/mute every X midi note/user defined note, to give some breathing room and extra control over variation.
miedex

I decided to give this a try:
http://thepiz.org/pizmidi/midiNoteRepeater.zip

Seems like it would be interesting for experimental use. Lots of possibilities

It can select up to every 100th note and repeat it 0-100 times (setting repeats to 0 blocks the selected note). It has an optional note filter but no transposing at this point...
miedex wrote:Every 14th time a C3 (for example) is detected your plugin would send a burst of a 32nd user defined note like a C2 (for example), or it could just output the same note as the trigger but then just have a force-to-note-X transpose plugin after it in the signal chain (does one of your plugins do this specifically?).
midiConverter3 can force all input to one note value: set input to Note On Velocity, Any Note; output to Note On Velocity and specify the note.
wrongtastic, baby

This is really amazing. Elegant and super fun. What does the "start count" control do?

Thank YOU! :D
miedex

"StartCount" is an offset for the counter. It means the counter will start from that number. For example, if Count==7 usually it counts like this:

1 2 3 4 5 6 7

set StartCount to 4 and it will count like this:

5 6 7 1 2 3 4

I think it'll be more intuitive if I add 1 to the display...
wrongtastic, baby

Making a swing version would be cool too. So instead of your normal swing plugin where it swings every other note it can swing every 0-100th note.

Your midi collection is like a high level programming environment :love:
miedex

Two parameter sugestions
1:A pos/neg control for the following parameter

2:bypass plugin every X cycles: 0 would cycle continiously, 1 would be 1 cycle on 1 cycle off or reverse depending on the pos/neg, 2 would be 2 on 1 off or 2 off 1 on depending on pos/neg and so on.

So you could have a few of these in series with all the settings the same but with the time base different for rotating variations.
miedex

I added the option to send the "wet" notes on a different channel for more flexibility... you could send those notes to midiExactDelay for the swing effect, for example.

same link:
http://thepiz.org/pizmidi/midiNoteRepeater.zip
wrongtastic, baby

I can't figure out the midiExactDelay, it seems to only do its thing once, making it not a very effective swing effect.
miedex

midiExactDelay delays everything by a specific amount... to create a swing effect you have to send it only the notes that are to be "swung."
wrongtastic, baby

Ah I get it. That works fine as a traditional time shifter. Unless there was a plugin to send every X note to a different channel I can't see how it would be done.

Sorry for making so many suggestions/requests. MIDI effects are a pretty obscure niche and you seem to be the only person around actively doing it and especially doing it right.
miedex

miedex wrote:Ah I get it. That works fine as a traditional time shifter. Unless there was a plugin to send every X note to a different channel I can't see how it would be done.
Exactly... the latest version of midiNoteRepeater can do this, which is why I mentioned it.
Sorry for making so many suggestions/requests. MIDI effects are a pretty obscure niche and you seem to be the only person around actively doing it and especially doing it right.
Thanks, suggestions are great. I can use the ones I like and ignore the others.
wrongtastic, baby

Exactly... the latest version of midiNoteRepeater can do this, which is why I mentioned it.
It works in principle but that method is a bit convoluted/confusing to fit in a regular workflow. Perhaps keep the extended swing mode's in mind next time you decide to crack the midiSwing open to update.
Thanks, suggestions are great. I can use the ones I like and ignore the others.

Probably not worthy of a thread so I toss this out: add Invert CC option to InvertNote?
miedex

Return to “Insert Piz Here”