New linear-phase EQ - SplineEQ

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Effects Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
SplineEQ

Tiny feature request: the current version number on the authorized download page. ;)

chuck death wrote:Tiny feature request: the current version number on the authorized download page. ;)
OK done :)
Developer of Photosounder (a spectral editor/synth), SplineEQ and Spiral

A_SN wrote:
chuck death wrote:Tiny feature request: the current version number on the authorized download page. ;)
OK done :)
Thanks! :)

A_SN wrote:
Krakatau wrote:
Spitfire31 wrote:Looking forward to the Pro version of Spline once you've settled in… ;-)

/Joachim
+1

I'm curious about the "pro" features

8)
Well, they've been detailed throughout this thread, so just read all 15 pages of it and you'll be set ;). Actually I'm going to have to do the same, I need to remember to do all I said I'd do.

:oops: ...just apologize for laziness !
A_SN wrote:
antithesist wrote:
A_SN wrote:
antithesist wrote:Will there be a charge for the SplineEQ 2.0/Pro update?
Yeah, basically you can see it as a third variant. There's free SplineEQ, SplineEQ (both which will remain available as they are) and then there will be SplineEQ Pro with a different price tag. I'll make sure that people who've bought SplineEQ before a certain future date will get a more advantageous upgrade price though.

Okay, I guess that's good to know now. When was this released, just before X-mas of last year, if I recall? Who'd have ever thought they'd have to pay for new features on a new-to-market plug-in three or four months after its initial release? Kindly look at Valhalla, Klanghelm, DMG and Cytomic, just to name a few. I get that you choose to call it a new product. What new features are there again besides the new analyzer mode? You could also choose for this to be a free update, or at least give the upgrade to your early supporters in reciprocal support. I'm sorry if this is coming off as irate in text. That's not my intention. Who knows, we may only be talking about a few bucks for the upgrade. It does seem nearly precedent setting here in our little audio effect plug-in world though, at least to my recollection.
Alright here's the logic: SplineEQ as it is is great, but it's very simple and kind of basic and that's partly why it has the unprecedented price tag of $19. $19! And it's a great start, so I should build on top of it to make something as full featured as the top of the line LP EQs. Now if I make a plugin that beats in every way plugins that cost ten times as much, I probably shouldn't keep on selling it for $19, right? I'd still keep it much cheaper, but it wouldn't be very cleaver to keep it just as cheap.

Now, the Pro version isn't on the edge of being released, I just started working on it, I'm just keeping you guys in the loop because the outcome is always better when you take feedback and input from users while you're creating the whole thing. Right now I only have 2 or 3 new features in the beta (which I shouldn't even call beta, it's just work in progress), that is the analyser curve thing, the Bézier handles that can be freely extended or contracted and the extra controls for when the handles end up out of the screen. At the moment I'm also working on new handles-related knobs and something like a Q control kind of knob that would rescale the 4 handles are a point to increase or decrease what you think of as Q.

But all of that is nothing compared to everything else I have yet to start doing. Mid-Side editing, zoom, rescalable interface, something like AB comparison, analyser freezing over a time period, whatever else we've talked about in this thread, whatever the $200 plugins have and whatever else will come up. When that's done (don't hold your breath, it's gonna take a few months) you'll see why it shouldn't go for $19.

This being said I can make a few of these upcoming features part of the publicly available SplineEQ 1 version. What would you like to see?
hardwinte wrote:the analyzer in 2.0 displays the input?

i don't understand the thinking behind this. analyzers on an eq should always show the output, otherwise you might as well have no analyzer and id use a 3rd party fft
I guess you're right, that would make more sense this way. I'll do that.

Iamnevyn wrote:Before you escalate this further, people need to see this as it is:

The Pro version, is by it's own right a new product, it will not interfere with the SplineEQ version you bought.

The SplinEQ version you indeed have bought, will still get updates, improvements and the like, but will be cut of from the advanced upgrades.

The price-tag for the normal EQ is nothing to talk about, having pro versions of software is nothing new, it has always been there.

If you wish to upgrade to pro, that will probably happen with a better price tag for those who already are customers, if they indeed feel like the pro version is something they need.

If you state stuff like "I bought it because of the furture upgrades and what not" - The updates will still be there, but the version you bought never stated that it would bring you a new set of advanced features. You have your product, you bought it knowing what it does.

Don't make a hen out of a feather.
Yes, this!
jethrobull wrote:Just for the record the software works perfectly for me,i use it on every track(almost) its been very stable since i bought it in december.I would happily upgrade to the PRO version if i feel the need but @ this moment i can say there is no need.IMHO its the dogs bo@#oc"s and PRO version or not i got what i paid for and i am a very happy customer.jus dont see the point in moaning about something we dont necessarily need.Just saying! Ok rant over. :shrug:
Yeah that's the idea, you don't necessarily need the Pro version, having another version out there that is more fully featured and more polished doesn't make the regular version any less useful or interesting. At the end of the day you'll still have the choice to buy something that does the job and is unusually cheap, you'll just also have the option of buying something more... pro.

:tu:

...as a reminder for everyone interested

Well..............been some months now hasn't it?

I have been using this (ginormous) a bit when I need a really surgical eq or a very steep filter.

Hows the update/pro version going? Will you (please) cut the size down a bit?
Massive, Serum. Diva, Repro-1, HIVE, Spire presets, Reason ReFills more! https://NewLoops.com

I started a new thread in the Photosounder forum:

http://www.kvraudio.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=155

called SplineEQ:

http://www.kvraudio.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=365586

since A_SN had posted there way more recently than here.
WEASEL: World Electro-Acoustic Sound Excitation Laboratories

lol, I followed your link to that thread and then followed the link back here and I went round and round and round.

Brilliant!
Massive, Serum. Diva, Repro-1, HIVE, Spire presets, Reason ReFills more! https://NewLoops.com

I've been spending a lot of time moving to a somewhat different framework that allows me to make AAX builds (I have trouble with RTAS builds on Mac so I guess I won't bother with RTAS at all?) and now I'm tweaking the graphics (it all takes time because I have to do all of that over three separate projects, plus the graphics thing is actually coming from a fourth project). When that's done I'll release an updated version of SplineEQ 1.0.x with the updated graphics and AAX and standalone builds (pretty soon) and then I'll work on the next major version of SplineEQ again.

Cool,

SplineEQ: one of the only plugins that crashed my REAPER. No thanks. Good luck!

The Telenator wrote:SplineEQ: one of the only plugins that crashed my REAPER. No thanks. Good luck!
I haven't heard of a SplineEQ crash in... forever? Can you give me details on the crash please? Thank you :).

Just FYI:

I've rewritten and reposted my review of SplineEQ.

If you're interested, you can read the full-featured article here:

SplineEQ - Definitive Mastering-grade Audio Scalpel
Thanks & God Bless,
Bro. Charles
Reviewer's Revival Blogsite | Facebook

Brother Charles wrote:Just FYI:

I've rewritten and reposted my review of SplineEQ.

If you're interested, you can read the full-featured article here:

SplineEQ - Definitive Mastering-grade Audio Scalpel
Nice, I like it, thanks! :tu:

A_SN wrote:]
Nice, I like it, thanks! :tu:
You are very welcome, sir. Thank you for offering the home recording community such a good quality product at a truly affordable price. We appreciate it.
Thanks & God Bless,
Bro. Charles
Reviewer's Revival Blogsite | Facebook

I'm just reworking the graphics for a minor release coming soon (I'm talking ~two weeks, could be less) that will focus on just that, and I figured, since it's quite unanimous that the interface is too small (at least as long as there's no zooming option), why not use the occasion to make it all larger?

Okay here's my idea, the premise is that no one uses a smaller resolution than 1280x800 anymore and that I can use most of the width, is everyone okay with that (does anyone still use a 1024x768 screen for audio stuff?)? The visualisation area is 512x512 right now, how about making it about 20% taller (vertically), roughly 90% wider (so that it would be around 960 px wide) and making the rest (knobs, text) up to 20% larger? The total size limit I'm considering would be around 1240x700 or less, which I guess would be okay on a 1280x800 screen and hopefully not too small anymore on 1920x1080. Or is that too extreme? Right now the interface is 752x576, which is supposed to fit on a 800x600 screen, but it's kind of mad to still take such resolutions into consideration these days.

And before anyone suggests it, no, right now I cannot give an option for different resolutions yet (I will in the major update but not now), there's a big difference between redoing the PNG layout of your GUI and making a GUI that can be resized.

Return to “Effects”