Moog Minitaur

Anything about hardware musical instruments.
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Still no sign of these buggers in the UK yet. Anyone here got one yet?

We won't be seeing it for a while. :(

Uncle E wrote:We won't be seeing it for a while. :(
Same for the MiniBrute?

Minibrute's are scheduled to ship this month.

There has been a slight delay ... so MiniBrute is going to ship in May.
"But please don't listen to me
I've already been poisoned by this industry!"
Funk Pop a Roll - XTC

Fr@nk wrote:There has been a slight delay ... so MiniBrute is going to ship in May.
... if you're lucky! June for the Minitaur & Xmas 2012 for the Pulse 2!! :shock: :-o :o

I made a version of Messiah softsynth for external filtering today , and tested it on Minitaur. Audio in worked. There is only sound when the instrument has gate from midi, so you have to trigger the Minitaur at the same time as the softsynt.

The version I made had audio on right channel and cutoff frequency on left channel. It did not really work. I had a volume knob for cutoff level on the softsynth so I could amplify the cutoff from the synth. (The cutoff has everything, knob, envelope and modulation). The cutoff signal was not loud enough. Even when I had it at max in Reaper so the signal was red, the input into Minitaur filter gate seemed to be only 0.5 V at max. It has the range 0-5 V. So it did not really work. I can still use the Minitaur envelopes, but the difference in sound compared to the plugin's own filter is not that big. I just wanted to try it. The audio input into Minitaur has a nice distortion, so I think I may rather use it for the feedback trick. I know Moog say it has different impedance and will destroy the input A/D converter, but I take the chance.

Another problem I had when I tested was that the Minituar is totally silent above C5, and even tough minitaur was only used as a filter with audio in, it still needs midi to let any sound out, and when playing above C5 everthing was silent, so it did not really solve the C5 limit when using a softsynth as oscillator.

All the best
gunnare

gunnare wrote:I know Moog say it has different impedance and will destroy the input A/D converter, but I take the chance.
What are the two impedances? Maybe there's an adapter that can make it work.

Jump to 6:00 for a device that does just that:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Moe6aVNC ... r_embedded#

Hm, I think it was Amos that said in a thread that the headpone and audio input had different impedance, and that a connection might destroy the A/D converter after a while. I think it is the same with the Moog Voyager.

Yes, I know that little box by Amazing Machines. I checked their webpage earlier today, and the unit is not released yet, but it says release April.
http://www.amazingmachines.com.br/index.html

I might buy one. The distortion on the Minitaur input sounds big and pleasant. Actually when I tested with the Messiah softsynth I got distortion almost on all input levels.

gunnare wrote:I made a version of Messiah softsynth for external filtering today , and tested it on Minitaur. Audio in worked. There is only sound when the instrument has gate from midi, so you have to trigger the Minitaur at the same time as the softsynt.
If you plug a jack into the gate input on the back of the Minitaur is will keep the gate open so you don't need to keep triggering it, a 1/8 inch jack to a 1/4 inch jack adapter works best here but a cable with a 1/4 inch jack will do the trick too. Just make sure nothing is connected at the other end.
gunnare wrote:Another problem I had when I tested was that the Minituar is totally silent above C5, and even tough minitaur was only used as a filter with audio in, it still needs midi to let any sound out, and when playing above C5 everthing was silent, so it did not really solve the C5 limit when using a softsynth as oscillator.
This is a physical limitation of the synth, probably to do with keeping the very low notes more stable. I'd reckon if you open the gate like above it will bypass this limitation for inputed audio.
Deep N' Dusty House Grooves !!!
Artist: http://soundcloud.com/nigel
Label: http://soundcloud.com/diplopiarecords

Mr Arkadin wrote:Jump to 6:00 for a device that does just that:
Gorgeous!

I've seen one in the UK where I work (Well I saw it's ickle box), came in the same shipment as the Cluster Flux's in mid March.
It was probably for an andorsee or something, as it didn't hang around enough for me to have a quick try.
I don't have anything against gravity but it really does weigh me down

Return to “Hardware (Instruments and Effects)”