MuLab 4 Released

Official support for: mutools.com
RELATED
PRODUCTS

aMUSEd wrote:I did check the limitations - this is literally one plugin (FM8) in one track, just to test basic things like recording, automation etc. It seems like a time limit as it only started after a few minutes (the minutes it took me to turn off the metronome) but that page doesn't mention such a thing
Did you import a MIDI file?

No I just played some notes and moved the XY to record some automation - I wanted to test how good the midi and automation editing is in particular

Are you sure you don't exceed ANY of the limits (the total number of vst in your folder is also limited)?

Count-in + no metronome during recording works here. Click on Metronome until it's white. Right-click on Record button just to make sure it says 'count-in = 4' and you're away.

Edit: 'count down' I should say...

OSX 10.6.8

which is to say the total number of vst imported to the MU.LAB database.

You can also choose not to import any plug to the database and instead import them one by one as you go along (right-click on a slot -> browse for vst plug in). That way you can have any combination of plugs per project you want (up to a total of 4).
Last edited by Bonteburg on Sat Feb 11, 2012 1:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

aMUSEd wrote:No I just played some notes and moved the XY to record some automation - I wanted to test how good the midi and automation editing is in particular
I can't immediately test FM8 at this moment, so i don't know what it's sending, but right-click the recorded track -> Choose MIDI Channel, if it's set to "Per Part" the voice alert will come.

This voice alert only comes when at least one of these conditions is true:
  • You're using more tracks than allowed by your license, in any composition in any open session. Maybe there are other compositions (SESSION menu -> Select Composition) and or other open sessions (each has its separate session windows)
  • You're using MIDI channels on part level or event level. This may happen, for example, when importing a MIDI file. To check: Right-click track -> Choose MIDI Channel. For detailed info on using MIDI channels, click here.
The voice alert has been tested for many weeks now, no problems have been reported. I also double-checked now by pluging in some VSTs in M4.0.115, all is ok here. I think one of the above conditions has been filled.

It's just one - I literally just browsed to FM8 and inserted it - that's it

Hope you saw my post above, post may have crossed.

Anyway, if you don't find the reason, feel free to mail me the .MuSession and i'll check it out.

I've closed it now anyway - will try again later.

About the automation though - is there no way to draw freely rather than in straight lines? - I find it very fiddly to edit a curve using straight lines

Also I notice the midi piano roll doesn't play the note when you mouse on and move it like in other hosts - I find it useful to hear the sound so I can decide where to place it - is there a way to enable that?

aMUSEd wrote:I've closed it now anyway - will try again later.

About the automation though - is there no way to draw freely rather than in straight lines? - I find it very fiddly to edit a curve using straight lines
http://www.mutools.com/mulab/docs/envelope-editor.html
Also I notice the midi piano roll doesn't play the note when you mouse on and move it like in other hosts - I find it useful to hear the sound so I can decide where to place it - is there a way to enable that?
Not (yet) while moving.

Of course you can decide beforehand where to put it, monitoring notes can be done on the keyboard or by [Alt]+click on note(s) or the background.

OK this is weird then - nothing is going as your manual says it should. I have recreated my previous track - just one instance of one plugin - FM8. I have recorded one midi track and moved the XY pad in FM8 with my mouse while recording so that is also recorded as an automation track. Despite this it is already whispering to me.

As for the automation - I am seeing no nodes - when I double click I get a pen cursor but it is only drawing straight lines

As for the metronome it will not turn off - I have clicked it to try all 3 settings - red, green and white makes no difference - they all click as soon as I hit record. All I can do is enter edit sound and turn off the click from there (but it isn't saved globally)

aMUSEd wrote:OK this is weird then - nothing is going as your manual says it should. I have recreated my previous track - just one instance of one plugin - FM8. I have recorded one midi track and moved the XY pad in FM8 with my mouse while recording so that is also recorded as an automation track. Despite this it is already whispering to me.
Can you please save that session and email it to me. Thanks.
As for the automation - I am seeing no nodes - when I double click I get a pen cursor but it is only drawing straight lines
The breakpoint envelopes appear in the automation parts.
For detailed info on automation parts see http://www.mutools.com/mulab/docs/composer.html
As for the metronome it will not turn off - I have clicked it to try all 3 settings - red, green and white makes no difference - they all click as soon as I hit record. All I can do is enter edit sound and turn off the click from there (but it isn't saved globally)
If there would be not metronome during count in, then how woud you know when the music starts?

In case you don't want a count in, then right-click the record button and set it to 0 beats.

Hope this helps.

Finally final, woohoo :party:

What a great upgrade/improvement from v3! Congrats on the new major release Jo, and thanks for your hard work all along the way! :tu:

And of course a big thank you to the great MuLab community and their efforts and contributions by adding new modules to M4 and all the help on the forum.

AndreasD, Trancit, Juan Mendoza, Sorohanro, pljones, liquidsound, Digit, Bonteburg, etc. etc. etc. etc. :hug:
No band limits, aliasing is the noise of freedom!

Juan Mendoza wrote:
aMUSEd wrote:Hi I'm just trying this out again (now on Mac)? Is there any way to free draw in the osc panel? It just seems to want to draw lines which makes it a bit fiddly to use. For example the randomise feature makes some lovely curved lines but as soon as touch it with the mouse to make a small change I get a straight line that messes up the entire curve.
I dont know if it's possible to have a free mouse draw, but what i use often is the lowpass funcion, wich gives very nice and natural curve shapes.

E.g. draw a raw wave with the mouse, and smooth it by aplying lowpass value 5, then experiment with other DSP functions to finetune you wave by rotating it, shrinking edges etc

Hope that helps.

PS: also remember that you can load any single cycle waveform you want directly into the OSC and edit it
freedraw with mouse would be great feature rather than just line drawing;the jumping off point for any sound creation is the waveform so the more tuned it can be to user requirements the better for me. i've been loading in old sy85 waves from years back with great results. also a big thanks to Adventure kid for the waveforms he provided for use mu lab synth. they are really fantastic

mutools wrote:
aMUSEd wrote:OK this is weird then - nothing is going as your manual says it should. I have recreated my previous track - just one instance of one plugin - FM8. I have recorded one midi track and moved the XY pad in FM8 with my mouse while recording so that is also recorded as an automation track. Despite this it is already whispering to me.
Can you please save that session and email it to me. Thanks.
The breakpoint envelopes appear in the automation parts.
For detailed info on automation parts see http://www.mutools.com/mulab/docs/composer.html
If there would be not metronome during count in, then how woud you know when the music starts?

In case you don't want a count in, then right-click the record button and set it to 0 beats.

Hope this helps.
Then what is the point of the white setting which is ostensibly to turn it off (but doesn't)? - for me a metronome is a distraction - it breaks my concentration and I don't need it, I'm perfectly capable of keeping my own timing.

Re the automation parts - well if I tweak a knob when recorded isn't that being recorded as automation? It certainly records an automation track below the main one but when I click to open it I don't get why I'm not seeing breakpoints or able to edit it the way described in the manual.

I closed that session but can replicate it.

Return to “MUTOOLS”