DSI Mopho VSTi editor (Windows)

Anything about hardware musical instruments.
Post Reply New Topic

Do you find the Mopho Editor useful?

Yes, it's revolutionary!! Burn the bra!
33%
Yes, fairly ok..
15%
No, i've seen better
9%
No, lame piece of sh**, doesn't work at all
18%
I want a version for Mac!
24%

Total votes: 33

RELATED
PRODUCTS

rodan wrote:You may get more responses if you make that screenshot full size so people can get a real comparison.
Ah, good point. The picture in itself is full size, but the forum doesn't automatically link to it. It just shows a thumbnail. But I made it clickable now.

auricle wrote:Are there any plans to make one for the PolyEvolver?
Short answer: No, not in the near future.

The tech I've already built to the MophoEd could very easily be adapted to other synths editors. When i get my current projects finished(music, sound design) i'll see if i could make the TetraEd and some beta of an EvolvEd ;)
www.mkdr.net

MophoEd - the BEST DSI Mopho Editor VSTi

Seems Soundtower have now made/realeased the Mopho, Tetra and P08 Vst editors too, but doesn't seem to be without problems, links...

http://www.soundtower.com/plugse/index.html

http://www.gearslutz.com/board/electron ... yager.html

More expensive than your Mkdr Mopho editor too,

How far are you off with the Tetra VST Mkdr?

Next month I'm buying either a Mopho/KB or Tetra, but want a reliable VST, so if it's a Mopho I'd rather buy yours after reading what I read on Gearslutz about Soundtower's...

breakmixer wrote:Seems Soundtower have now made/realeased the Mopho, Tetra and P08 Vst editors too, but doesn't seem to be without problems, links...
I checked the links.. what a disgrace for DSI :(
I sincerely hope they get their shit together, as they'd have tons of customers who would wan't those products. And i sadly can't help everyone. I have limited time on my hands, no way to do Mac stuff, no HW to test things on and no support from DSI.

Anyhow.. I'll open a new thread for the Tetra editor when i get to actually making it. If everything works out that could be later this week.. Horray! It's editor is going to be a bit bigger project than this Mopho one, as there's going to be several tabs for the four patches and different operation modes. But it shouldn't take more than a few weeks to get it working, and bug free. It all depends on my work schedules though. I still need to make some quality sound design and music at the same time :)
www.mkdr.net

The following was a reply from Soundtower -

"Yes, it is true on Windows (Tetra does not have multi-client MIDI driver so the USB MIDI can be used only by one application at a time) but...

The PlugSE does not operate on the Audio stream and does not use any resources or processor power. It can be simply minimized or resized to a small size and moved on side so there is no reason to close it.

Why does MIDI stops working? This is because the Tetra has to be directly connected via MIDI ports to exchange the data with the PlugSE. Since the Host sends MIDI messages (notes and etc.) to the Tetra through the PlugSE, closing the PlugSE breaks the connection."

and (about the Gearslutz thread)

"I've just read some post there people have really strange issues with the software... 99% of it are 'user' errors. The Tetra editor crushing! - what they do not mention that it only crushed on the new Mac LION and we provided an updated to fix that. I wish they wrote to us instead."

So...

There was one other reply to me, I was enquiring about the ST Tetra editor, mainly because if I buy an analogue synth I'd prefer a Polyphonic one, and was thinking yours could/may be months off/never made maybe, so apart from that Gearslutz thread they seemed very open, honest, so I would not want to tarnish their reputation. :oops:

breakmixer wrote:The following was a reply from Soundtower -

"Yes, it is true on Windows (Tetra does not have multi-client MIDI driver so the USB MIDI can be used only by one application at a time) but...
That's a nasty problem with my plugin too. And even with a multi-client midi driver(like i have), you can't seem to open a port inside an app that already has it open in a plugin.. (is the soundtower guy missing the point? multi-client wont help a bit)

But it's good to hear the situation is not as bad as it sounds.

And an update to the MophoEd. I found a major bug in it, which is going to be fixed in v1.21. The selector for the midi channel had a vst-parameter by accident. What it means is that changing a preset might change the midi-channel if it's different than when you saved the preset. Silly me.

edit: I'm having awful allergic reactions, and just injured my back. Had to postpone this a bit. But I'm getting it done soon :)
www.mkdr.net

mkdr wrote: edit: I'm having awful allergic reactions, and just injured my back. Had to postpone this a bit. But I'm getting it done soon :)
I got bunch of pills for that, so on with the show.

Here's the new v1.21 Demo.
https://www.box.com/s/09f44d9d8b015a3b798f

I'll mail the registered versions soon...
I'm also changing to an instant delivery system shortly. If you're thinking of ordering, consider doing it after a couple of days to get it quicker.

Edit: updated v1.2 to v1.21
Fixed a midi port loading bug that v1.2 introduced.
Last edited by mkdr on Fri May 25, 2012 11:34 am, edited 1 time in total.
www.mkdr.net

breakmixer wrote:Seems Soundtower have now made/realeased the Mopho, Tetra and P08 Vst editors too, but doesn't seem to be without problems, links...

http://www.soundtower.com/plugse/index.html

http://www.gearslutz.com/board/electron ... yager.html

More expensive than your Mkdr Mopho editor too,

How far are you off with the Tetra VST Mkdr?

Next month I'm buying either a Mopho/KB or Tetra, but want a reliable VST, so if it's a Mopho I'd rather buy yours after reading what I read on Gearslutz about Soundtower's...
Those VST editors were promised as updates to Pro license buyers... I guess they forgot that. I just sent them a message. I'm pretty angry. I have an email record from 2009 where I was asking "when's the editor coming?" So now four years later it comes out. No email. Nothing. They want another $50 out of me? No thanks. I'll buy the mkdr one instead than you.
Zerocrossing Media

4th Law of Robotics: When turning evil, display a red indicator light. ~[ ●_● ]~

zerocrossing wrote: Those VST editors were promised as updates to Pro license buyers... I guess they forgot that. I just sent them a message. I'm pretty angry. I have an email record from 2009 where I was asking "when's the editor coming?" So now four years later it comes out. No email. Nothing. They want another $50 out of me? No thanks. I'll buy the mkdr one instead than you.
Btw. There was an interesting demo running on their page of the Tetra editor, with automation running on pretty much all controls. Wonder how that works in the real world? Does the Tetra have superspeed midi ports? Midi can do about 1300 CC messages per second, or around 430 NRPN's. Turning just 4 knobs like that takes up almost all bandwidth.

To avoid dropouts the MophoEd has the handy bar graph for the used midi bandwidth, and of course the Hybrid NRPN Mode ;)
www.mkdr.net

Still fixing some stuff from the Keyboard and Desktop versions editors. The plan is to get this thing out to users TODAY.

v1.22:
- fix to the nrpn receive feature, runs totally smooth now
- keyboard version now has a working patch init (i had no way to test this.. needed some clever emulation)
- keyboard updated to full v1.22. no difference in features between desktop anymore

v1.24:
- fix to the nrpn receive of patch name (a feature almost never used.. but for completeness sake)
- nrpn enhancements. no skipped values anymore it used to register just the last one within around 25ms. now every one. you can even automate from the knobs(though they suck)

New Demo v1.24:
Includes both the Desktop and Keyboard version in the installer
https://www.box.com/s/d3d847dff499102b2581

Emailing the registered versions next :)
www.mkdr.net

All customers have now received an email with instructions to download the updated version.

All future purchases are downloadable instantly. I'm happy to get the burden of emailing every order off my back :)

Phew.. This has been a highly productive day.

The shop page can be found HERE
www.mkdr.net

Ah, the joys of working on 9 projects at the same time.

There are minor bugs at the NRPN-receive module.
Symptoms:
-patch init not always working properly
-wild knob twisting can cause instability
(the device knobs)

Update is on the way.
www.mkdr.net

Love the plug, but have a quick question. When I load it up, I don't see a way to send full patches to the mopho, leaving me with knobs that only know their place when I adjust them. I've tried 'resend', but that doesn't seem to be working. I'm using Ableton. Is there maybe something I'm missing?

Thanks!

Tramic wrote:Love the plug, but have a quick question. When I load it up, I don't see a way to send full patches to the mopho, leaving me with knobs that only know their place when I adjust them. I've tried 'resend', but that doesn't seem to be working. I'm using Ableton. Is there maybe something I'm missing?

Thanks!
I think i should really do some type of manual for this..
But what you basically seem to be missing is the midi-port selection. The plugin does send messages out to the host, but it's not working properly on all hosts(pretty much any really). What you need to do is disable the port that is controlling your Mopho from your host(Ableton in this case) and restart it. When the MophoEd is loaded again, click on the midi-port indicator "led"s. Select your midi ports that are connected to Mopho. Make sure you also have the same channel selected. These options are saved and recalled on every restart of the plugin.
www.mkdr.net

Ah, I wound up doing that after some trial and error. I also have a VST Alpha Juno editor and I was trying to have my cake and eat it too by just using one MIDI out port for both through Ableton. I wound up disabling the soundcard MIDI out in Ableton, and using a separate MIDI out interface for the juno, and now all is well. I really don't get why windows locks an entire MIDI device when in use. You'd think you could limit that behavior to individual channels. Thanks again!

Tramic wrote:Ah, I wound up doing that after some trial and error. I also have a VST Alpha Juno editor and I was trying to have my cake and eat it too by just using one MIDI out port for both through Ableton. I wound up disabling the soundcard MIDI out in Ableton, and using a separate MIDI out interface for the juno, and now all is well. I really don't get why windows locks an entire MIDI device when in use. You'd think you could limit that behavior to individual channels. Thanks again!
The MophoEd does support using other synths at the same midi port. Which means you can send midi through it, as long as it's on another channel and midi-transform is off(right click on the channel selector). But if you are routing another editor through it there's the limitation in vst specification that no host supports sending sysex. Anyhow, even though it's possible to do it this way, I'd rather not. The midi-bandwidth is very limited and Mopho eats quite a lot of it. Midi-ports are cheap these days(got the one i'm using for Mopho for under 5 euros), so there's no need to do chains anymore. So the way you have it now is how i'd recommend to set it up :)

Glad to hear you got it working in the end. :tu:
www.mkdr.net

Return to “Hardware (Instruments and Effects)”