Variety Of Sound Thrillseeker: Bootsy and Patrick's new beast

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Effects Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

bmanic wrote:Yep, that switch gives you 18dB more "threshold". :)

Cheers!
bManic
Are you sure? As far as I can tell it gives less headroom = it lowers the threshold (unless I misunderstood your comment).

[EDIT] In fact, the compressor reacts very different in these 2 modes. The release time is more consistent and grabs more at -18dB (you'd need to set it properly in each mode to obtain similar gain reductions). The harmonics interaction sounds different too, as well as the way it enriches the signal. I think this is more than just a simple "headroom" (threshold) switch.

bmanic wrote:It's just different, that's all. There's no need for bootsie to replace density or density mk2. :)

Cheers!
bManic
Well, for sure the three are different, i know :)

What i was trying to say was that, between the three, i prefer the circuit design hidden under the hood of the first version of Density...and i'd be happy to see a Bootsy's sequel on that design :)

Mercado_Negro wrote:

Cheers!
bManic
Are you sure? As far as I can tell it gives less headroom = it lowers the threshold (unless I misunderstood your comment).

[EDIT] In fact, the compressor reacts very different in these 2 modes. The release time is more consistent and grabs more at -18dB (you'd need to set it properly in each mode to obtain similar gain reductions). The harmonics interaction sounds different too, as well as the way it enriches the signal. I think this is more than just a simple "headroom" (threshold) switch.
there are no differences beside of the initial and outgoing leveling, technically speaking.
follow me on Image

bootsie wrote:
Mercado_Negro wrote:

Cheers!
bManic

there are no differences beside of the initial and outgoing leveling, technically speaking.
Thanks for chiming in, Bootsy.

I can hear different behaviors and the tonal balance of the source changes as well in these 2 modes, using settings according to each mode to achieve similar gain reductions. Also, if we activate the "interstage" we can see the harmonic distortion is different (the most obvious change here is the 2nd order harmonic) which may corroborate these tonal changes. Maybe this is just part of the "stateful" approach you've developed here. I'd appreciate any information you could give here :)

I ran two tests at 0dB and -18dB with a 1kHz (@-18dBFS), using similar settings to obtain similar gain reductions and found this:

-18dB

0dB

These tests were run at 96kHz.

Cheers

damn, i absolutely love this compressor. It's so versatile! Oh man. :love:
Range and THD button make wonders. I can't believe it's free!

DELETED

Mercado_Negro wrote:
bootsie wrote:
Mercado_Negro wrote:

Cheers!
bManic

Thanks for chiming in, Bootsy.

I can hear different behaviors and the tonal balance of the source changes as well in these 2 modes, using settings according to each mode to achieve similar gain reductions. Also, if we activate the "interstage" we can see the harmonic distortion is different (the most obvious change here is the 2nd order harmonic) which may corroborate these tonal changes. Maybe this is just part of the "stateful" approach you've developed here. I'd appreciate any information you could give here :)

I ran two tests at 0dB and -18dB with a 1kHz (@-18dBFS), using similar settings to obtain similar gain reductions and found this:

-18dB

0dB

These tests were run at 96kHz.

Cheers
On my own, I don't trust analyzers anymore. But this is just a recommendation.

nice weekend,
bootsy
follow me on Image

bootsie wrote:On my own, I don't trust analyzers anymore. But this is just a recommendation.

nice weekend,
bootsy
I used my ears first and then analyzed it and posted it here.

Thanks anyways, have a nice day.

Hi guys

i have tried thrillseeker and it sounds great, nice plug in expecially if carefully adapted to the type of track you put it into;

anyway, though i have read the specifications and the goals of this plug in, i still dont understand what it EXACTLY does; maybe because of my italian language's bareer; stateful saturation ? what is it?

Giusmex wrote:Hi guys

i have tried thrillseeker and it sounds great, nice plug in expecially if carefully adapted to the type of track you put it into;

anyway, though i have read the specifications and the goals of this plug in, i still dont understand what it EXACTLY does; maybe because of my italian language's bareer; stateful saturation ? what is it?
Have you given this blog article a read dude? Here:
http://varietyofsound.wordpress.com/201 ... aturation/
That explains Herbert's aims, Do not know how well google translator (for example) handles it. I can not say i ever get that great results when using it on non-english websites/pages but it usually gets at least half way to what i would like :D

Hope that helps Giusmex anyway man and all the best

Dean

Edit: I susspose the simplist way to sum it all up would be to say in "Stateful Saturation" Herbert means a processor which is state dependant, As in really does highly depend upon what is fed into the processor input wise and also OTOT has its own mind aka Memory (not quite a Skynet level of awareness...Yet :scared: ) which will also highly affect the outcome...So the absolute opposite of static is what the term "Stateful" is getting at. To sound/behave akin to analogue, Well the desriable sound/behaviour of quality analogue processors. Please someone, Especially you Herb correct me if I am getting the wrong end of the stick though, Please! Cheers, Dean

tried it last night & OMG - my track got LOUD !

respect & thanks again to the Boots
expert only on what it feels like to be me
https://soundcloud.com/mrnatural-1/tracks

This thing is insanely impressive, for being free. Seems to distort unless I turn the big right knob down, then it's flavor country.

Reminds me of PSP vintage warmer.
The only site for experimental amp sim freeware & MIDI FX: http://runbeerrun.blogspot.com
https://m.youtube.com/channel/UCprNcvVH6aPTehLv8J5xokA -Youtube jams

Here's a preset that brought up some good mojo from a synth kick with a repressed transient.

Thank you, Bootsy.
No longer a moderator.

Thank you!!! Can't wait to give it a whirl. :D

Return to “Effects”